Sign in to follow this  
Wheelbearing

Onan 20hp Junk!

Wheelbearing

I have the front seat back in.  I chamfered the outside of the seat so I could peen material all around the seat.  I also installed it with some seal material a buddy told me about.  I haven't done the back side yet because I'm so discussed when I look at this piece of 70's flat head sh!t.  I've replaced everything on this thing.  Carborator, coil, voltage regulator, pulse trigger, Stator, rebuilt the entire thing, I'm tired of it.  When it runs it runs good.  When it doesn't it doesn't and its tooo often.  So I'm hacking this motor back together in case the grass gets long and I'm look for a replacement. 

Right now the Honda GX690R is looking good @ $1500.    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200459619_200459619  Still needs a muffler

• Like 1

Chevydave

I have a '89 416-8 repowered with a GX670. Runs great very good on gas.

fireman

Diesel HP rating is not egual to Gas HP rating. I'm not sure what the conversion is but it's something like a Diesel 10hp is equivalent to a 16hp gas or something like that. I believe Russ (SALTYWRIGHT), may have the info. He put a 10hp China Diesel in his 417-8 and it is crazy powerful! You can get them off of Ebay for $579.00 with free shipping.

Wheelhorse84

Will a diesel have enough rpms for a deck?

Ken B

That Honda looks pretty nice as well. I'd love to see some pics and a video of that motor on a 520. I think you could handle making a muffler for it with a blindfold on and one hand tied behind your back! :)

Wheelbearing

Please post a picture I want to see what it looks like jamed under the hood!! I haven't got a chance to take some measurements.  I've been doing fire wood the past few days.

I have a '89 416-8 repowered with a GX670. Runs great very good on gas.

Wheelbearing

Diesel HP rating is not egual to Gas HP rating. I'm not sure what the conversion is but it's something like a Diesel 10hp is equivalent to a 16hp gas or something like that. I believe Russ (SALTYWRIGHT), may have the info. He put a 10hp China Diesel in his 417-8 and it is crazy powerful! You can get them off of Ebay for $579.00 with free shipping.

Yes the Diesel Hp is not comparable to gas Hp, because the Diesel has double the torque.  I own a 2011 VW Jetta TDI (2.0L Diesel) 140Hp but I have 280 ft/lbs of torque.  Thats more than my old 4.3L V6 blazer it had 190Hp with about the same for torque 180ft/lbs.  By the way that Jetta can get up to 700 miles per 14 gallon tank.  Do the math thats 50 MPG!!!! 

My concern of a Diesel in the tractor is all the drive and implements are designed around a motor running at 3600Rpm.  Now any china diesel running at 3600 RPM IS VERY LOUD!!!!! 

So don't get me wrong I like Diesel, but not if its going to be that loud.

MalMac

I have got a buddy that has several 520's. He has re-powered two of them, one with the Honda and one with the Briggs. He likes the Briggs better. Says it has more room under the Hood and wiring was easier. He said the Honda is nice but if he had to do another one it would be a Briggs. He is a member on here. Maybe he will chime in. I just sold  a 520 and kept one. If the Onan putters out on it I have a Kohler single Mag. Waiting to put in it.

855ownerJoel

If the government has anything more to say about diesel that will start to suck too.  I heard they want to "again" do more to "better" the diesel fuel.. How much will that drive up the price of diesel.

Put a diesel in it! Gasoline nowadays sucks.

fireman

Those Diesels are made to run at 3600 rpm. If you leave the stock muffler on it, it's not actually that bad. I am only running a straight pipe on mine so it is pretty annoying (But I like it)!

SALTYWRIGHT

MY DIESEL IN THE 417-8 WILL OUT PULL A 20 H/P GAS. IT IS ABOUT $550.00 NOW. IT COMES WITH TANK AND EVERY ELSE. RUSS

• Like 1

chevyaddict83

MY DIESEL IN THE 417-8 WILL OUT PULL A 20 H/P GAS. IT IS ABOUT $550.00 NOW. IT COMES WITH TANK AND EVERY ELSE. RUSS

How bad is it to swap in.

Sent from my 416-8

AMC RULES

Comes with a good price too...where'd you get it? 

fireman

There on Ebay. I'd post the link but we're not allowed too. Just search "china diesel" or "10hp Diesel". You'll find it.

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Jeff   :thanks:

Wheelbearing

Yaaaa.....Thats not exactly true.....

China Diesel 10Hp @ 19ft*lbs torque

Honda GX690 22Hp @ 33ft*lbs torque

Those numbers say the Honda will pull the diesel around.  Matter of fact it'll pull 1 and half china diesels around. 

The true test is not pulling anyways its blowing snow.  And how fast you can go though it.

leeave96

My vote would be for a Magnum or K series single cylinder 16 hp engine.  I think that combo, powerful, but simple to service/maintain/rebuild all cast iron engine coupled with the 520H's swept forward axle and steering reduction would be a GREAT combo.

I really like my Onan's, but when they don't run or (for me) when the sheet metal has to start coming off - it starts going beyond the hassle I'm willing to put-up with.  Same for twin cylinder Briggs or Kohlers.  I've very much enjoyed the ULTRA simplicity of the single cylinder cast iron Kohler engines in my tractors.

Good luck!

Bill

boovuc

That Honda has less than a three inch shaft length. Is that enough to fit the drive pulley and the PTO together?

Wheelbearing

Well the Onan is back together again and the tractor is all buttoned up again.  The motor runs smooth again.  Not Honda smooth.  I'm sure the motor will probably last forever now.  But I'm still waiting for a tax return and I think that Honda will be in my garage.   I'll definatly post when I start that project.  And I will sell the existing onan to some finatic.