Sign in to follow this  
HENRYG

5003 TO 5010

HENRYG

HEY GUYS I REPLACED MY BROKEN  5003 TRANS IN MY RJ58 WITH A 5010 I BOUGHT AT JACKTOWN REBUILT IT AND INSTALLED IT, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE I COULD SEE IS THAT THE LINKAGE ARM ON THE 5010 IS CURVED AND THE BRAKE IS MOUNTED AT 45 DEGREES WHEN I HOOKED UP THE LINKAGE IT DOES NOT ENGAGE THE BRAKE BAND . DO I HAVE TO GO WITH 5010 LINKAGE I HAVE THE SHORTER BRAKE ARM BAR LINKAGE BUT NOT THE LONG BAR IS THERE A DIFFERENCE WHATS GOING HERE HELP THIS IS A 911 CALL

stevebo

I am not sure on the numbers but I think the one you bought is for a suburban and not a RJ. The main difference is the location of the brake on the left side plate.

groundhog47
Am not tryin' to be a smarty pants, don't know beans about these early cuties but what the folks here helped me on and found this info in wheelhorseallyears.pdf
so as to linkage wouldn't have a clue, but if pedal positioning is near same I'd say look at one of the modles parts, may even have to fab or add in a piece 
400 1960 Lawn & Garden Tractor Surburban 4-Speed Kohler K91-31388A 4 Wheel Horse 5010
550 1960 Lawn & Garden Tractor Surburban 4-Speed Tecumseh H55B-1170 5.5 Wheel Horse 5010
401 1961 Lawn & Garden Tractor 401 4-Speed Kohler K91-41437A 4 Wheel Horse 5010
Edited by groundhog47

VinsRJ

You will need to fab up a couple parts and/or swap the entire clutch set up over to a suburban.

stevasaurus

Actually, all you have to do is take off the brake side plate off of your 5003 and swap it on your 5010.  You will have to cut your own gasket. :)

Kero-pak 12" x 36" x 1/32" tan gasket material available at Auto Zone.

• Like 2

HENRYG

Thanks steve good idea seems to be the easy way out of this. thanks henryg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

What was wrong with the 5003 transmission???  May need some parts. :)

If you have a needle bearing where the brake shaft comes out on the 5010, may have to see about that...if that is a ball bearing, it is a straight swap.  Get a hold of me if you have the needle bearing in the brake shaft hole in your 5010 side plate.

Edited by stevasaurus

HENRYG
  • HEY STEVE THE 5003 HADEN'T BEEN TO THE DENTIST SINCE 1958 SHE HAD QUITE A VAREITY OF TEETH BROKEN THE LARGE KIND AND THE SMALL KIND IM GLAD I KEPT IT THOUGH BECAUSE THATS GONNA BE MY NEW SIDE PLATE. THE DATE ON THE  50010 TRANS IS G/18-9  I THINK THATS JULY 18th 1959 AND FORTUNATLY IT  HAS BALL BEARING SETUP I PULLED IT APART TODAY. IVE NEVER SEEN A 400 SO I DIDEN'T KNOW WHAT THE DEAL WAS. I BOUGHT THE 50010 FOR 80 BUCKS AT  JACKTOWN LAST YEAR  COULDENT PASS IT UP.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.AND GREAT SUGGESTION .HENRY 
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Cool Henry, I'm glad to be able to help. :)   Another solution, if you did not have the spare, correct side plate, would have been to cut the weld on the brake band mount and weld it in the vertical position. :woohoo:   I would save what is good from the old transmission, I have needed 2 of the castings with the shift forks already. :bow-blue: