Sign in to follow this  
HokieAg07

Hard Starting P220

HokieAg07

After my P220 sits for more than a day or so it has a real hard time starting. Most times it wont fire, sometimes it will catch and run for a few seconds then die. I have to give it a shot of carb cleaner to get it running. Fuel pump is working and fuel is not draining back to tank. Must be a carb issue? Runs great after I get it going. I had the engine apart recently to decarbon the heads and do a tune up. Issue has not changed. Carb was not disassembled during that process.

'96 with 435 hours... 

JackC

<< Carb was not disassembled during that process.>>

Carbs develop problems more quickly with ethanol in the gas.

I took about a teaspoon full of light brown powder out of mine when I cleaned it.

Carb problems are probably the most common cause of poor starting and running.

leeave96

I've got one with the same problem. It's driving me crazy!!!! I put an electric fuel pump on it and that didn't help either. I've had the carb off and went through it and it's clean and looks like new. It should, the tractor only has 62ish hours on it! I'm about ready to put a new carb on it to rule out the carb all together. Good luck, Bill

Wheel-N-It

I've got one with the same problem. It's driving me crazy!!!! I put an electric fuel pump on it and that didn't help either. I've had the carb off and went through it and it's clean and looks like new. It should, the tractor only has 62ish hours on it! I'm about ready to put a new carb on it to rule out the carb all together. Good luck, Bill

Bill, let me know when you are ready to trade that 520 of yours for my Cub Cadet 1650, with a fresh K-341 and 50A deck and 42" snow blade :thumbs:

chrisd200(inactive)

OOOH! Trade for a 1650, sounds like fighting words :) Definitely sounds like carb issues. We replace more carbs than I care to remember at the shop that I work for. Certainly a more common problem with our homeowners than our commercial guys. If your fuel has any level of ethanol AT ALL and your machine sits for an average of a week or more at a time, you are more than likely gonna have a carb problem sooner or later. Onans seem to struggle with ethanol more than the other engines (just my opinion though) and of course their carbs and kits are some of the most expensive. Good Luck!

• Like 1

leeave96

Bill, let me know when you are ready to trade that 520 of yours for my Cub Cadet 1650, with a fresh K-341 and 50A deck and 42" snow blade :thumbs:

Van - One of the requirements for my fleet of garden tractors is that they MUST be fun - LOL!!!  Sometimes I get to working on these old iron machines and get a little irritated and give it a rest before it poisons the experience.  I'm working on a hobby tractor - not the day job at the salt mine.  However, this particular 520-H has been a royal pain in the buttox with it's difficult starting!  I'd have parted with it several years ago had it not been given to me by my FIL and that I'm kind of stubborn and likely would burn the tractor to the ground than part with it... :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

4hokies

I've had the same issue for a while.  I may try some 100% gasoline and see if that helps.  It would be worth the extra ~ 30 cents a gallon

Wheel-N-It

OOOH! Trade for a 1650, sounds like fighting words :) Definitely sounds like carb issues. We replace more carbs than I care to remember at the shop that I work for. Certainly a more common problem with our homeowners than our commercial guys. If your fuel has any level of ethanol AT ALL and your machine sits for an average of a week or more at a time, you are more than likely gonna have a carb problem sooner or later. Onans seem to struggle with ethanol more than the other engines (just my opinion though) and of course their carbs and kits are some of the most expensive. Good Luck!

Van - One of the requirements for my fleet of garden tractors is that they MUST be fun - LOL!!!  Sometimes I get to working on these old iron machines and get a little irritated and give it a rest before it poisons the experience.  I'm working on a hobby tractor - not the day job at the salt mine.  However, this particular 520-H has been a royal pain in the buttox with it's difficult starting!  I'd have parted with it several years ago had it not been given to me by my FIL and that I'm kind of stubborn and likely would burn the tractor to the ground than part with it... :laughing-rofl:

HAHAHA, not fighting words here friend. We like our Cub Cadets here in NC. They must be IH Cub Cadets though. Actually that was a very kind offer to Bill. I know Bill is very fond of that 520 even though it irritates him so, otherwise I would have not put that out there. I thought South Carolina was Cub Cadet friendly too. Case LAGT's are allowed in NC only if the eagle is removed (its a Southern thing).

Hey Bill,, we don't have to trade forever, just till you get tired of the 1650, and I get tired of the 520. Then we can trade back :techie-eureka:

leeave96

Van,

I had more luck finding IH Cub Cadet stuff lately than Wheelhorse!  Seems like anytime anything interesting (Wheelhorse) comes-up for sale, it's snatched-up faster than I can dial the number or I've just made a completely waste of money buy on a piece of Cub Cadet stuff  (my Wife/Boss' words) and have to pass - LOL.

I'm hoping to get the 1650 going for mowing duty this Summer - we'll see.

Wheelhorse content:  I'm planning on using my 314-8 hard this year mowing with the 42 inch RD deck.  It's been a few years since I've exercised that combo.

Edited by leeave96

Wheel-N-It

Van,

I had more luck finding IH Cub Cadet stuff lately than Wheelhorse!  Seems like anytime anything interesting (Wheelhorse) comes-up for sale, it's snatched-up faster than I can dial the number or I've just made a completely waste of money buy on a piece of Cub Cadet stuff  (my Wife/Boss' words) and have to pass - LOL.

Wheelhorse content:  I'm planning on using my 314-8 hard this year mowing with the 42 inch RD deck.  It's been a few years since I've exercised that combo.

Bill, sometime you will have to tell me what in the world is going on with your 1650! Also I want to hear about the other Cub Cadet stuff you've been buying.

leeave96

Van,

Bill, sometime you will have to tell me what in the world is going on with your 1650! Also I want to hear about the other Cub Cadet stuff you've been buying.

Van - I'm an idiot!!!!!!  If I had a brain, I'd have stopped with the three Wheelhorse tractors I've got now - LOL!!!

I've got the 1650, engine is out of it for inspection and an engine cradle mod.  I went to the Wheelhorse show last Summer looking for a deal on a tractor for my Boys to use (idea being if they drive it into a fence post, not a great loss compared to my other - otherwise very nice Wheelhorse tractors).  I couldn't believe the prices on the tractors at the show - some real junk going for crazy prices IMHO.  On the way back, I did a CL search and found a IH Cub Cadet 109 with a 44 inch deck and front blade for a low price and brought it home.  I wanted to try a gear drive IHCC, so I recently bought a 126 (I like the style), it needs a motor rebuild/replacement and picked-up a 122 with the engine I need and a rear sleeve hitch set-up (to be used on the 126) - the rest of it will go to parts.

Back on topic - by hook or crook, my low hour 520H with hard starting P220 is going to run on the first crank this year if I have to replace the carb with a new one!!!!!!!!!  If that don't work, then I might set the thing on fire... ;)

• Like 1