Sign in to follow this  
ADKHydro

520H Engine Surge?

ADKHydro

A kind Gentleman invited me over to the forum to post. I have a 96 520H with around 500 hrs. on it. The engine started to surge the other day and I am assuming it is the carb. If it is the carb how do I go about cleaning it? I am not afraid of engines but I do not have a lot of experience either. If someone could describe the process to me I would greatly appreciate it. I am also thinking that I might try the mixture before pulling things apart and could use some info. on how to make adjustments. Any help that you guys could give a newbie would much appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

nylyon

Welcome to RedSquare, glad you found us :whistle:Check out this thread which also has a link to another which has some discussion on the carb. As mentioned on MTF, try to blow out the lines, and clean the carb by removing the plug in the front. That is the quickest and most painless way to get started, it will take only a few minutes with no risk of damage.

Where in NY are you located?

Again B)

ADKHydro

Thanks for the info. I have tried the attached link info with the seafoam and gumout and now the engine will not start. It turns over briefly and smokes a ton but then it dies and then nothing. B)

I am located in Colton, NY just on the edge of the ADK park. Hence my name....haha. Any other thoughts....not sure if I can get it in the truck to take to a repair center without it starting....fell like I am going backwards. Any thoughts????

ADKHydro

Ok Well I am down now to the fuel filter. I am going into town to get one now. How do I get the air out of the line once I replace the filter? Or is that something that I do not have to worry about? Thanks!!

nylyon

The fuel pump will draw the gas back in, when blowing out the lines, don't use too much pressure, 10 lbs or less is all you'll need and be sure the gas cap is off.

ADKHydro

Well I have replaced the fuel filter. Removed the fuel line into the carb and made sure that is clear. The fuel lines are attached to a squarish box that is attached to the side of the engine. It says IN and OUT...one comes in from the fuel tank and the other comes from the filter and the carb. I removed the both of those lines and they are clear as well. When I turn the hose that is attached to the fuel tank down gas runs out free and clear. But no gas is coming through the fuel filter and the carb is bone dry....no gas. So I am guessing that it must be the fuel pump. Not sure why it would be that it stopped working completely after I removed the top of the cab to make sure the jets and the float was working properly. Maybe it was just a coincidence. So do you think it must be the fuel pump them? Seeing that no gas is making it through to the filter when the lines are clear?? Thank for all of your help. I am one step away from sending into the garage. I do not want to have to do it though.......Thanks!!

T-Mo

That square box is the fuel pump. I'm guessing it's not a mechanical one. I think these pumps work off of vacuum? pulse type? B)

Rod(NASNUT)

Be sure your float is set properly it may be set to low and not letting any fuel in a way to check the fuel pump is to take the line off the carb and turn over the engine and see if you get any fuel out of the line B)

ADKHydro

Yup looks like it is a vac. pump for sure. There is a another hose that is comes out of the back of it and into the engine compartment and I do not see where is goes from there. Does anyone know how to re-prime the pump?. Thanks!

Rod(NASNUT)

Pull the line off the carb and suck till you get gas

nylyon

You may need to take the plugs out and clean them up a bit. Crank it over with the plugs out to get the rest of the seafoam out. If you aren't getting gas to the carb, that will need to be fixed first. Did you blow air into the fuel pump at all, the box on the side of the engine? There's a thin diaphram which could rupture if that may have occurred.

If you take the line off the out port on the fuel pump, you should feel pulses when cranking the engine over. If you do, the pump should be working fine. Double check the fuel filter to be sure that it is installed in the proper direction.

ADKHydro

Well....I sucked the gas back into the filter. I checked the diaphragm and that was fine. I went to start it and give it a try and the battery is now dead. I must have left the key engaged when I went to take a break. I came back and it was dead. Well it is going into the shop next week as I have no way to charge the battery. I just wanted to thank everyone for there input but I am going to need to leave the rest to small engine mechanic which I am not. Thanks again!!!

92Pony

I see that your only 6 posts are the ones in this thread, so you may not be around, but I was wondering if you'd taken your WH to the shop and curious to know what the diagnosis was.

Wade