Sign in to follow this  
Anglo Traction

Ethanol content in UK and poss Euro Fuels

Anglo Traction

Just thought I'd post this link which comprehensively covers this issue. Bearing in mind that the content percentage is to increase this year to 10% thanks to the EU. At least it look's like we will have an alternative. There is some good info here and which Companies fuel is and will still be ok for us to use safely.

http://www.groups.tr...nol-update.html

Regards

wheeledhorseman

Good timing to raise this topic Richard :handgestures-thumbup:

One thing about the article you've given the link to is that although it mentions this year's rise to 10%, the detail about fuels with no ethanol content were stated as correct at Feb 2011 so may not have remained accurate. Ethanol is a horrible thing to add to gasoline where engines and ancillary equipment have not been designed for it; the issues are well covered in the article.

Together with the 'horses' I also have the 'needs' of some classic vehicles in my collection to cater for. When lead was removed from gasoline many owners had expensive work carried out to install hardened valve seats, others have been using fuel additives ever since. For my part, and despite many so called 'expert' opinions against, I added fuel catalyst pellets (I've used Broquet and Fuelcat brands) to the fuel tanks and they've run fine ever since including two minis with what are reckoned to be the softest valve seats known to mankind. So far at 5% Ethanol there's been no perceivable difference it remains to be seen about 10% but I'm optimistic in that the technology was conceived to run aircraft engines on low quality fuel during WW2. A friend in the US has found the need to rejet a brand new new OEM carb on his jeep to richen the mixture presumably to overcome the volatility effect of the higher ethanol content but then he isn't using fuel catalyst pellets in the tank.

Obviously there are other ethanol related issues that the catalyst may not address but so far the vehicles havent suffered any fuel leaks, fuel pump failures or noticeable rusting in the tanks despite being stored with fuel in the tanks and carbs over winter but I guess only time will tell.

A garage nearby sells leaded gasoline for classic vehicle enthusiasts but it's not cheap though I always have that route to follow on the assumption that if it's exempt from the lead free directive in theory it should also be exempt from having ethanol added - I'll have to check up on this. For now though I'll certainly consider moving over to the 'Super Unleaded' for the horses.

Andy

Anglo Traction

Certainly for now, I will also be using the 'Supers' (only a few Fuel distribution centres blend 'E' into the High Octane Supers before delivery to Garages . I've done some more searching and it's rumoured (FBHVC Newsletter Dec 12) the Full E10 introducion may not occur this year and may not be until 2015 (EU directive introduction date). However, some companies may introduce it earlier. E5 does not need to be Labelled on the Pump, but E10 will be.

Andy, Yes , that Article was Feb 2011, but was updated Jan 2013, so presume it's still current . FBHVC's Newsletter endorsed those 'E'less fuel Brands/Areas in Apr 12. So depending on were you live, will dictate whether your 'Super' fuel has, or still has not got any 'E' in it.

As a footnote , 2 garages local to me had all their underground Storage Tanks dug out and replaced in the last 6 months. They looked pretty rusty to me ............I wonder! .

Regards

flytalk

Another Law passed by the unelected bureaucrats in brussels.The sooner were out of the eu the better.

sorekiwi

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

I hate the ethanol added fuels. For my tractors and moxers etc (stuff that might sit a biy between uses) I use 100% gasoline.  And I am positive they run better on it,  Whether it is due to the fuel being better, or just not "going off" as quickly, or as a result of the carbs staying cleaner I am not sure.