Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

Garden Tractors OR Compact Utility Tractor???

HankB

$6,000 - $10,000 budget

Must have Front End Loader, 4' - 5' brush hog.

I have a 1997 F150 pick-up with factory towing and a 14' tandem utility trailer. I don't want to pay a dealer to shuttle the tractor for service. I'd like to be able to transfer the machine to another location a couple of times a year for additional brush hog and snow stacking duties. My point: It can't be TOO big!

My son had a Cub Cadet CUT that he used to manage 6 acres with a couple horses. It was probably a bit more than he needed but compared to a GT it was a brute. He had a roto-tiller, box blade, 3 pt hitch forks (like a fork lift for the 3 pt hitch) and probably a couple other attachments. He bought a used FEL and mounted that as well - the hydro trans already had the required ports. I would say if a loader would be useful then the CUT would be the ticket. Oh, yeah, he also had a finish mower for it. It was a 3 cyl. diesel, had 4WD with locking differentials and a 3 pt hitch with 540 rpm rear PTO.

Just be aware that everything is a whole lot more expensive on the bigger units. His starter went bad and the dealer wanted almost $1000 for a replacement. =8-O (He found one on eBay for less.) Tires are pretty spendy as well. The CUT is a much more capable machine but you pay for that. He sold the whole package for about $10K when he moved to a suburban lot so you're budget should get you in the ballpark for a decent CUT. I can't speak to the comparisons with the older tractors. I did see a Ford 9N (I think) with FEL for under $3K recently.

• Like 1

wh500special

I don't have an axe to gring here, but regarding the Cub Cadet CUT...

IF you find yourself looking at their 7000-series subcompact models, be sure to do an internet search for information on the specific model. On some of the CUT boards there were plenty of reports of major transmission problems that even led to MTD buying back customer's tractors in a few instances.

I doubt they were all bad, but apparently they weren't one of MTD's best efforts. It does sound like MTD bent over backwards to satisfy their customers though.

As far as I know, the rest of their machines were pretty good. The current CC is built by Yanmar who has been building stuff for Deere for decades.

Steve

The Toolman

I think Kubota has 5 year 0% loans right now, an you can get a new scut with 60" mower an frt loader at about yer top end $ you want to spend

Keith

yep i agree with an older farm tractor,heck you can get one with a bucket,and probally all the implements you will need for far less than a new one,and you could keep the horses

I like 3 cylinder diesel tractors like the Massey Ferguson 135 and Ford 3000. These have more function than Ford 8N, but don't have 4WD like newer compact models.

baerpath

This is for sale by me on Craigslist little high priced but same size as a XI

2005 27HP Simplicty Gas loader Tractor. 4 Wheel Drive. 900 hours. 60 inch mower deck, triple bagger, 48 inch bucket, box blade, york rake, 4 ft brush hog. $12,000.

"My wife likes the size of the tractors and feels comfortable cutting grass and doing some gardening and landscaping projects with them."

Just a thought