Sign in to follow this  
copperhead

Any indoor gardeners?

copperhead

I've grown tired of eating cucumbers that taste like small watermelons. Forget buying a decent tomato this time of year..even the "vine ripened" leave a lot to be desired. Fairly good lettuce is available albeit at a steep price. So I took a ride on a cold,clear day to learn a little about hydroponic gardening. Ended up buying a small starter setup to get my feet wet...so to speak.

Basically it consists of a grow lamp, 5 gallon bucket with a plastic insert, a pump and aerator, a bag of nutrients and a bag of marble sized, clay medium. Gonna start with growing some lettuce and see where it leads. My only concern right now is the effect on my electric bill, but the prospect of year-round edible vegetables is too tempting..at any cost.

Anyone here have any experience with hydroponic gardening? I'll post some pictures when I get the system rigged up.

posifour11

Haven't tried it, but I would surely be interested in seeing how well it works for ya.

KC9KAS

Knew of a fellow that had all kinds of "growing" lights and a very extensive irrigation system, but the State Police shut him down!

copperhead

Guess I should have figured that folks who own 5 or more garden tractors aren't gonna be trying to grow corn in their living room. :blink::laughing-rofl:

Well..I"ll still keep you all informed on how it goes.... :royalty-crown:

IthacaJeff

We've got one of those cheesy little "greenhouses" consisting of 3 shelves covered by clear plastic bag.

It is sitting in the window, growing herbs (the legal kind). Wife uses them most nights. The cilantro is to

die for, really.

Come spring she'll get lettuce and tomatoes growing to get a start on outdoor planting.

Jeff

KC9KAS

copperhead....Sorry, I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, just thought I would add a little "funny"....(I really do know of this guy....I actually helped the State Police cut it down and haul it out)

copperhead

copperhead....Sorry, I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, just thought I would add a little "funny"....(I really do know of this guy....I actually helped the State Police cut it down and haul it out)

No problem...I didn't respond to your comment due to my right to remain silent.. :ychain: I'm really growing lettuce...REALLY. :laughing-rofl:

redidbull

I have started seeds indoors but have never grown full size plants. I had a timer set up to give the plants about 16 hrs of light. I sometimes used grow bulbs but mostly standard florescent bulbs. I used a Home Depot covered seed starter with the cover and put it next to the heat vent until they sprout. Then put them under the lights. Have the lights close to the plants and raise them as they grow or they get "leggie". Jim

Prater

You should see the Hydroponic Gardens at Disney World's Epcot Center. I planned to try it one time using 4 inch pvc pipe with baskets and medium in the pipe. After figuring the cost of the pump all the plumbing and baskets I decided to wait until a better time in life to try.