Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Yet Another Wheel Color Question

rmaynard

Before anyone else does it, I will insert the :deadhorse: because this topic has been beaten to death many times.

I dismounted my tires from the wheels of my 701 and discovered that the wheels were not the same color as those of my 1968 Commando 8, or any of the other wheels that I have had powder coated.

Below is a picture of the rear wheel and a sample panel of powder coat color RAL1013 which I and others have matched to the "linen beige" wheels from other horses.

post-2221-0-23394200-1358862922_thumb.jp

So my question is, when did Wheel Horse start using the "linen beige" color? I know the 701 is a unique machine, but did they use a different color on the wheels for this one? The inside of the wheel is the same color as the outside, and it is original, not repainted. The previous owner says that the wheels, tires, and tubes are original.

• Like 1

Don1977

There are a lot of different names for similar colors by different manufacturers. Find one you like and use it. Oyster White, Linen Beige, Wimbledon White, Antique White take your pick I am sure you can find a dozen more, I used White on mine and haven't been shot by the Wheel Horse Police.

Tankman

Been usin' the Linen Beige. Looks fine.

I'm sure whatever "close" color, no one would notice as long as all four hooves are the same color. :laughing-rofl:

Kelly

The rim you have pictured looks like most of my rims from about 65/66 or so back, after that they seem to be a little lighter in color, the early 70's till they went silver, are just off from white about like your color card.

hm12460

I've used Cub Cadet white on wheels with good results. Almost like a cream color. Got an IH dealer close by, that helps. You guys won't hold that against me now, will you??

rmaynard

I'm not concerned about what people will think of my ultimate color choice. I simply posed the question, "when did Wheel Horse start using the color linen beige for the wheels"?

Kelly has answered my question. :thumbs:

Thank for all the other responses. :)

• Like 1

Whmaverick

i mix rustoleum almond and gloss white 50/50 and it sure looks like a perfect match to me. :twocents-twocents:

Cvans

My almond white gets mixed with dirt and looks perfect from across the garden. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

We will call it Lucy Linen White - the "missing link" on the evolutionary line of wheel colors.

HorseFixer

Bob what brand of Powder is the Ral 1013 Oyster White?

~Duke

rmaynard

~Duke

I'm not sure where he gets his powder, but I think it's Eastwood. However, RAL colors are universal, so if you order RAL 1013 from any supplier, it should be the same color, no matter what they name it.

squonk

When I first got my 704 I dismounted the fronts and the inside was well preserved. I took it to Napa and it matched Allis-Chalmers cream perfectly

Martin

~Duke

I'm not sure where he gets his powder, but I think it's Eastwood. However, RAL colors are universal, so if you order RAL 1013 from any supplier, it should be the same color, no matter what they name it.

bob, how does that q panel of the oyster white that you have in the pic compare with the sample i gave you along with the red sometime ago? that sample was IFS coatings powder....

heres their ral chart......

http://www.ifscoatin...ral_colors.html

you are right in that the ral colors should be the same from all suppliers. from experience this is not always the case though. especially with gloss %, it does vary, the gloss can make the color stand out more and change the shade slightly. you also have to watch cure temps and time as that can also vary and can affect the outcome as well.....

we change suppliers sometimes and the replacement can either be a better change or not so good. it depends on the quality of the paint also. sometimes suppliers merge or are taken over by larger companies so we dont always get to choose what happens. i cant comment on the quality of eastwood powder, the only experience i have with it is its very expensive to buy in those small quantities.

we use ifs coatings for this color and its a good quality powder......

BUT....ppg is definitely the most user friendly powder we use and now that they are taking over our biggest supplier we have (akzo nobel- formally rohm and haas) ppg will be used in roughly 95% of what comes in. ive seen over 2000 lbs of powder come in this month (average work load month)

Edited by Martin

rmaynard

@Martin - That is the panel you gave me. It is identical to the RAL 1013 Oyster White that my coater uses. Though I can't measure the gloss, it does appear the same to my eye.

Martin

that panel looks really 'white' in your pic and thats why i asked..... the wheels off kents 875 were a similar 'mismatch' as in your pic and the powder i use. like kelly mentioned the later ones were lighter. my 67 tractors are very close to the powder i use. the 76 c160 color is just a little lighter, but still slightly 'biege' in color, same with the 80 c125 wheels before i stripped them. the 82 gt1848 is definitely a white and not like the earlier ones......

im not 100% sure all of them were the original wheels on them, but i have no reason to doubt they are. the only tractor i have that had repainted wheels was the 875 and the color underneath is what i compared it with......

Edited by Martin

Martin

since this thread is about wheel color.....

:hide:

post-4321-0-24524200-1359219015_thumb.jp

• Like 1