Sign in to follow this  
artfull dodger

Opinions on a B100 automatic

artfull dodger

Ran across a B100 automatic thru a friend while picking up stuff for his Case tractor. Runs good, body is in decent shape, will need some welding work on the fender pan hinge, was bubblegum welded on one side and its broke loose. Tires look nice, has the older embosed hubcaps. Mower deck was junk so I would have to find a mower deck for it. I like its smaller size over my 518. He is asking $400 for it, which seems to be the going rate localy for a running WH whether it has a deck or not. Any issues on the hydro in that series to be wary of? Thanks Mike

SousaKerry

That will have the older Sundstrand unit, if they are good and strong they can be a good unit, usually will have an issue with the cam plate and motion control lever but they are an easy fix. Check the fluid for water and see how old the filter is. Usual stuff they won't pull a house down like an 8 speed but they are plenty strong for everything else. The later Eaton tranny's are usually considered better but they did not come out till 81 on the C-1X5 series machines.

artfull dodger

what about pulling a moldboard plow at plow days? Will the older units do it without issues? I know that same brand pump in the IH Cubs did ok for plow days. Does the WH have enough cooling capacity to not have the fluid break down? I know the fluid and rear end casting get bloody hot in a cub when worked hard in the field. I would be getting this for my wife to use at plow days predominanty She will not run a 8 speed, bad experiance and thats her bad knee on the clutch side. She wants a hydro. Mike

520HC

Mike I go to plowdays with a C-160 Hydro. Don't have any problems with the hydro running hot. Just change the fluid and filter when you get it.

artfull dodger

Dont know yet that I am going to get it, trying to figure out how to come up with the $$ for it. I wish it was a bit cheaper, but it is a nice solid old horse. He has lots of old iron and knows what its worth. He collects BF Averys. Mike

Sparky

I think a B-100 that needs work (welding..etc...) and includes a junk deck is way over-priced at $400. Its a good machine but not at that price in my opinion.

Mike..........

artfull dodger

I was also thinking that price was a little strong but older horses seem to fetch that money around here lately.

jusjeepn

$400 is way to much for a B that needs work. Come see me for a 69 Electro....Cheap!

leeave96

I think a B-100 that needs work (welding..etc...) and includes a junk deck is way over-priced at $400. Its a good machine but not at that price in my opinion.

Mike..........

I was thinking the same thing, especially with no deck. Offer $250 and see where you get. While a B100 might be a fine tractor it shouldn't have some things like headlights? In haggling with the seller, you might mention this, the age of the tractor, it's 10 (?) hp vs 14 or 16 and it's not a C series tractor.

Good luck,

Bill

artfull dodger

It does have headlights, could use a new lense though. I am going to pass on it right now, Dont really have an easy way to come up with the funds unless I sell the Horse i have now, and that doesnt solve the problem of a Horse for each of us. Mike

JackC

The older embossed hub caps (chrome with red and black logo) if in good condition could be worth $100 to $200 by themselves. Even more if like new.

artfull dodger

The rear on the grass discharge side would need to be rechromed, the others probably would buff out to be decent looking, not show queens but good for a daily worker that you want hub caps on. If I had even close to the amount, I might make an offer, but I have too many needs on my 518 right now, and not sure I want to give that one up for a B100 automatic. Mike

woodbird007

Just my 2cents. I picked up a 75 B 100 in the early 90s and love it. The only thing non C about it is no lights (less to go wrong) and 2" shorter wheelbase (more maneuverable). It is now strictly my plow tractor but also mowed with it up till about five years ago. Graded out 10 yards of 21aa this fall-about fours work and hydro didn't overheat. Without mower deck it would be nice to get $100 lower. I would sure buy at $250.

Good luck.

Jim

608KEB

If everything works as it should, Are the tires, rims in good shape. If it makes you feel better about the price, I bought a 74 B-100 with 37" snowthrower and a 36'" deck for $750.00 last summer. The mower Deck had a large rust hole in front of it. I'm going to use it for spare parts. I had to put 2 new wheel hubs, painted hood, one footboard and other misc.It hasn't used any oil and seems to run really well. I have about $1100.00 in it.

Pic of 74 B-100

post-5623-0-48695200-1358974913_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Mike, I think you are doing the right thing by letting this one pass. Get your 518 the way you want it first. Then start looking for another WH. There is still plenty of them out there, and if you can be patient the right one will come along.

artfull dodger

Im sticking to just my 518 project right now. It has enough needs to keep me busy for awhile. Really need to get the hydro filter set up off ebay or from a RS member, dont like running without any filter. Working on a good set of rear tires and a 42rd deck now. The rear tires stay inflated long enough to plow 3 driveways, then they need more air. Mike