dbartlett1958

Single Stage Snowblower Auger Modification

dbartlett1958

Several years ago I modified the impeller on my Toro walkbehind 2-stage blower using "Clarence's Kit". If any of you are unfamiliar with this, it is essentially adding a rubber paddle to each leg of the impeller to seal the space between the impeller and the shute of the blower. Google "Clarence's snowblower mod" for more information.

This makes a huge difference in wet slushy snow, but will generally improve performance in all snow conditions.

Well, I wanted to try something similar on my Single Stage 42 inch blower, so this is what I did:

- I got some rubber belting from TSC to use for my paddle extentions.

- I took my angle grinder and cut a slot on one side of the paddle where the auger meets in the center.

This is for the rubber belt to fit in along with a piece of 1/8 inch plate to use as a backer for the rubber.

- I cut some 1/8 inch plate to fit the paddle. Where the spiral part of the auger meets the Paddle part, it is

welded on one side, but not the other. I made my slot on the non welded side for convenience.

- After fitting the steel plates and the rubber on the paddle, everything was clamped together and drilled,

then bolted together with some bolts and locknuts.

- You can leave the rubber a bit long and trim it after fitting. You want it so it fits snug against the curvature of

the blower housing. Nothing too it. I think it makes the Single stage work much better tnan before with the

big gap between the auger paddle and the blower housing.

- After using this for several storms, it works quite well, but the rubber belting I got needs to be just a bit stiffer.

I have plenty and it is easy to swap out, So not a big deal overall.

post-6729-0-77075100-1358400418_thumb.jp

post-6729-0-73008500-1358400432_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

I use sections of their horse mats for rubber edging on snow plow blades. Might be worth a try. The material is about 1/2 inch thick and is very stiff.

3609horse

Did it make a difference with wet heavy snow? It looks like good, nice job. Gene.....

dbartlett1958

Did it make a difference with wet heavy snow? It looks like good, nice job. Gene.....

Since doing this mod, I hav not had a chance to try it on wet snow. All we've had since has been nice and dry. It does seem to work a bit better for that.

Time will tell.

HorseFixer

It might work.. :eusa-whistle:

HorseFixer

Thinking about this last night I just find it hard to believe all the snow that is being thrown on the single stage is from that little pad in the middle of auger on both sides. It would be tuff to do, and alot of work, but I think the whole auger should be done. If ya think about it, thats the way the smaller machines like the 2 cycles do it. On the Rubber you can go to and Industrial Supply Store that sells Bulk Corded Rubber for like Conveyors, Thats what I used. Also you should use an electronic scale on all your parts on each side, nuts, bolts, rubber, washers, back up plates after drilled and weigh each set so they are balanced so you dont trow your auger out of kilter.

Just some thoughts. :)

~Duke

Huntingtown520hc

Thinking about doing this to my blower any updates on how well this works or any changes you would make 8 years later?

peter lena

@dbartlett1958  did a similar enhancement for the same snow issue , used conveyor belt material , same elastic  nut washer bolt set up , no problems , pete

Huntingtown520hc

Thanks Pete.. I have some rubber belt on order.