Sign in to follow this  
njdpo

Hydraulic lift for 310-8 ?

njdpo

Hi all,

I was able to use my rescued 310-8 deal with our last snow fall in the north east a few weeks back. I was impressed how the 310-8 (with chains) easily dealt with the heavy snow, ice, and slush near the road from the plows.

However – I noticed that the full weight of the plow blade on the ground was not ideally suited for my terrain – and I frequently had to pull back on the lift handle to relieve the plow blade of a few pounds to help things move along. Note – I am simply lightening the pressure on the blade touching the ground – I am not really lifting the blade much from the ground – and if I am I would estimate no more than 1/8 inch.

I was wondering about mount some type of hydraulic pump to the 310-8 to do the heavy lifting for me.

Has anyone fitted a hydraulic pump and lift into a 310-8 ?

Am I better of finding a charger/electro instead of trying to modify what I have ?

Does the charger / electro have an hydraulic lift ? ( my shoulder and back were hurting bad after a few hours of tugging on that manual lift bar ! ). Steering and lifting is not very practical either.

Thanks Dave.

Rollerman

Unless you are a pretty good fabricator, there is no easy way to add hydraulic lift to your 310-8.

It can be done useing a hydraulic pump run off the PTO, a resevoir tank, valve, lines, cylinder & rockshaft off a hydro tractor that had hydrualic lift.

Another option would be a 12V electric over hydraulic pump...these can be found at RV or marine salvage yards.

I used to have a 416-8 with this setup.

An electric lift was available for you tractor too.

The E lifts are no longer made, but good used ones do pop up in the RS classifieds or Ebay occasionally.

All the above are going to be costly, unless your a good parts scrounger.

This is where I recommend save the breed, keep your 310-8 & find a nice used hydro Horse with hyd lift for plowing. :handgestures-thumbup:

855ownerJoel

If your main problem is the constant liftin what about mounting some skid plates on your plow to make it ride just a little off the ground. These are used on pickup truck plows all the time for gravel lots. (Larger size skid plate on truck of course) Here is a picture, not mine, but gives you an idea of what I am talking about.post-8621-0-47715000-1358352268.jpg

sorekiwi

You can also fit a stop on the lift lever ("dial-a-height") to restrict how low the blade will go. On the earlier tractors it was a standard item but I believe an option on the 300 series (my 310 doesnt have one, this thread has reminded me to go look for one).

You can set your blade heights very slightly above the ground if you want to.

I cant find a pic of one, maybe someone else could post a pic.

Rollerman

Dave another idea might be to try I use some kind of spring assist to help take some of the weight off the snowblade.

Wheelhorse used a spring assist for there snowblowers & it does make a differance.

wallfish

I would say the spring assist with a solid link to the plow frame and adjusting or adding skid shoes is the better solution. This will allow your blade to float over the terrain, be easier to lift and with the solid link, you can also apply down pressure if needed.

BUT getting another tractor with hydraulics trumps it all

Tankman

Handy? You might try one of these 12 volt lifts. :eusa-think:

http://www.northernt...linear+actuator

Don't forget a toggle switch (bottom of the url).

leeave96

You might be able to fashion a spring assist to the extent that the blade is just barely touching the ground. One way to accomplish this is adding a spring from the front attach-a-matic point straight down to the blade itself.

Good luck,

Bill

Kelly

Or as Mike said add a dial adjust to your tractor so you can adjust it so the blade is just off the ground, I should have the parts to add it to your tractor, if you want to go that way.

sorekiwi

Actually even if you do rig up some sort of spring assist, or mechanical lift, the "dial-a-hieght" unit is really useful anyway. This winter is the first time I've plowed with my 310, and it took me about 5 seconds before I realised I needed to fit one.

Racinbob

I didn't know the 310 was missing the dial a height until I read this post. I found some pictures online and it looks like it would be a simple job to put one on it once you found the parts.

nylyon

I have a plow on my manual lift 414-8. I agree with you that after a while it becomes a little tiring. Because it's a plow, I wouldn't put an assist spring on it, as that may make it float too much and not be effective. If you can't find an electric lift, or can't fab one up, it may be best to look for a Hydro / Automatic with hydraulic lift to help you. My 416-H has been used with a snow blower and with hydraulic lift, it's effortless to raise and lower. Downside would be that I think that a manual transmission is better for plowing (automatic for everything else though :) )

Tankman

Actually even if you do rig up some sort of spring assist, or mechanical lift, the "dial-a-hieght" unit is really useful anyway. This winter is the first time I've plowed with my 310, and it took me about 5 seconds before I realised I needed to fit one.

By all means add the Dial-A-Hite :wh: lift. I use mine all the time when plowing.

I too didn't know, never owned a 300 series Horse, they didn't come with one. Get one and install it. You won't regret it!