Sign in to follow this  
mikemc53

Tires

mikemc53

OK, it looks like I'm gonna need tires (rear) since one of them blew...and I mean BLEW...split along the tread in a huge zigzag pattern.

Went out to the barn this morning and noticed a bunch of dirt on the hood of the Jeep...thought it was a cat or something. Backed the Jeep out and went to fire up the Wheel Horse and the same dirt...dang cats.

Noticed the left rear was flat and went to put air in it and the air just blew out the huge hole in the tire (guess it wasn't cats). I'm guessing dry rot and overinflation...regardless it is toast and I don't have another snow pusher available so I will be needing tires (23 X 8.5 X 12) like real soon.

First, does anybody have any (within an hour or so of Port Huron, MI) that they'd like to sell? If not, where is the best place to get decent skins fairly quickly?

Well, at least I got the starter working.

Thanks gang.

littleredrider

I had something like that happen. There is a junkyard near me that has parts tractors. I noticed walking in the front door, an old MF that just got dropped off. Went to look at it for some treasures, and noticed it had 23x10.5s on 12x10 wheels. They had the right offset, so they came with me. There was no safety bead, and from years of sitting they lost air and came of the seat, got dirt, rust, who knows what else inside the tire. So I take them home, dismount, clean the tires and wheels good, scuffed up the wheels and spray bombed them. Cleaned the tires with Bleach white, and put some tire shine type stuff on them to soften, and of course to make them look pretty. Mounted them up and was good to go. Threw them in the back of the truck to take to my apartment where my stuff is. I rolled the tire out of the back of the truck, it bounced off the ground, and heard a loud hissing. When it hit the ground, the pressure blew a hole in the sidewall where is was dry rotted. ATT, I didn't have a job so couldn't get new tires. So put some tubes in them, now they are good to go. They are on the ranger, and after putting chains on them, they did fare with snow blowing duties. Without the chains I could quite literally get stuck on level ground. Looks cool cause they are so wide, need to get some Ags mounted up.

glgrumpy
www.greaterclevelandtire.com has good prices on Deestones if you wanna use them, or the Kenda Chinese brand. Has individual price and for pair and usually get in two days! Cheapest I've seen for new.

TheReDStAnG

Not sure in you have one near you or not, but Family Farm and Home (competes directly with Tractor Supply) has some great prices on both lug and turf tires. $67/each for 4 ply turfs and $80/each for their lugs. I wouldn't even mess with used for that price.

• Like 1

Tankman

Be sure to check your local junk yard. There's one 1/4 mile from me, lots of garden/lawn tractors.

Whatever I pickup is cheap, cheap, cheap.

None of the tractors interest me, not :wh:'s, but tires mounted, sometimes seats, other goodies, are all over the place. :)