fourwheels0

1960 suburban 550

buckrancher

Also, that is not the #3502 differential...#3502 is the number for the older style...about 33 teeth.

Steve where are you getting that information my owners manual for 701,401 551 shows transmission #5010 used on a 401 as

diff.case and gear as part #3502 ?

Brian

fourwheels0

well the "clicking" trans is draining now.

i plan on flushing it a couple times with some diesel then yank her out and start the tear down.

pics to come soon.

stevasaurus

Also, that is not the #3502 differential...#3502 is the number for the older style...about 33 teeth.

Steve where are you getting that information my owners manual for 701,401 551 shows transmission #5010 used on a 401 as

Brian

Brian, check on page 12 of this manual link (service notes)...it is a little confusing, and I am not positive about the part numbers, but there is a difference between the early and later differential housings and brake shaft gears. Here are 2 videos of the 3 differentials that I have seen that go into the #5003 and #5010 transmissions. Maybe they kept the same part number and just used the replacement gears.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Transmissions/492-4004.pdf

th_2011_1102JAKESTRANNYS0001.jpg

th_2011_12065007BRRLY0001.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Mike, that first tranny was rode hard and put away wet. :bow-blue: That pinion gear is the worst I have seen. Hopefully, the axle gears are OK. There is a way to fix the casting, I have done it, but let's wait and see what else you find and what you may need in the clicking tranny.. Looking more and more like a parts transmission.

fourwheels0

well i drained and did 1 flush (with diesel fuel) on the "clicking" trans.

the clicking is almost gone. you can barely hear it now and it didn't pop out of 3rd gear.

it would pop out of 3rd when you throttled down. now it stopped doing that.

and the shifting seems much firmer now. before the shifter would just seem to flop in gear.

now you can feel it kind of click in.

i'm gonna do 1 more flush and see if anything changes.

steve ya that first trans was definitely rode hard lol. surely a parts doner now.

stevasaurus

What does the mixture look like when you drain it?? Did you get any pieces or filings coming out??

fourwheels0

it looked like thin tan oil.

i didn't see any chunks or feel any filings (i ran it through my fingers as it was draining).

i've done 2 flush's now.

both about 10-15 minutes each going through the gears each time.

the 2nd one came out cleaner than the first and this time still smelled like diesel.

buckrancher

Brian

Brian, check on page 12 of this manual link (service notes)...it is a little confusing, and I am not positive about the part numbers, but there is a difference between the early and later differential housings and brake shaft gears. Here are 2 videos of the 3 differentials that I have seen that go into the #5003 and #5010 transmissions. Maybe they kept the same part number and just used the replacement gears.

http://www.mywheelho...ns/492-4004.pdf

th_2011_1102JAKESTRANNYS0001.jpg

th_2011_12065007BRRLY0001.jpg

Steve check page 14 you will see the part # is 3502 with note 5 the way I read this is:

part #3502 with the course teeth is the first version

part #7243 with fine teeth is the second version (part upgrade new rev. level)

part #7243 up graded to a two piece diff hub and hard gear (final upgrade third version)

after first version brake shaft was upgraded to fine tooth( new rev. level to match diff. gear)

brake shaft will work with the two later versions (fine tooth)

Brian

• Like 1

TT

The revised brake shaft is p/n 3559B.

The service kit containing #7243 differential gear and #3559B brake shaft was sold under part # 6076

• Like 1

buckrancher

thanks terry good information :handgestures-thumbup:

TT

No problem! :handgestures-thumbup:

I dug out the scanner, so here it is in print form:

post-33-0-99996000-1358096258_thumb.png

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Brian, That is the way I see it also. TT, thanks for the information...that PDF is the same as page 12 in the manual. I guess the point is that you have to have the right brake shaft gear to match the right bull gear. :)

Mike, I think I may have an idea what is making your click in reverse only. See if this makes any since. The reverse idler is a wide gear...1/2 of it is always engaged with the cluster gear. When you shift into reverse, you engage the 1st and reverse fork gear with the other 1/2 of the reverse idler. If there is something wedged in that part of the reverse idler it would account for your click while in reverse only. :woohoo: What do ya think??? :)

fourwheels0

steve that does makes sense.

but after flushing twice and with no oil in it the clicking was almost gone. even at idle you really had to listen for it.

now this morning i put gear oil in it and the clicking came back just as loud as it was before.

so i'm in the process of draining it again and tearing it out now.

what ever that clicking is i will find out one way or the other lol.

luckily the wheels and hubs came off with no problem and the key ways are not wallowed out so that's good.

stevasaurus

One thing for sure...the oil is not causing the click. :) Maybe. Take lots of pictures Mike.

fourwheels0

here's here's the pics.

so far everything looks very good.

the 2 bearings in the bottom pic are bad,real bad (i believe they are the cause of the clicking).

the 2 axle seals are bad.

SAM_0205_zpsb4fb2bb8.jpg

SAM_0199_zps853e00de.jpg

SAM_0197_zps294eb5ea.jpg

SAM_0198_zps6e2f2f81.jpg

SAM_0203_zps8c08f8d1.jpg

SAM_0204_zpsedca48e2.jpg

stevasaurus

Yep...the bottom bearing under the brake shaft gear...yet another weak spot in these 3 piece transmissions. Nice talking with you Mike...be in touch. :)

fourwheels0

well i have a set of bearings (from the first bad trans).

cleaned them up and they are good.

so hopefully i may just need axle seals :) .

• Like 1

buckrancher

you may need to change the bronze bushings also

fourwheels0

ok update. it's been a busy day and considering everything that happened (different story) it was productive.

it's all back together and sounds like it should. clicking is GONE. it had to be those bearings.

i tore the diff apart also and checked everything there and all is good.

i checked all the brass bushings and all were even with no noticeable wear.

BUT it still pops out of 3rd gear.

oh'well it is what it is.

stevasaurus

How was tearing that differential apart Mike??? :) Glad you went after it and figured it out...and nice working with you. :happy-jumpeveryone:

fourwheels0

steve you were right on the money again lol.

doing the diff was as easy as you said. thanks again for all your help.

thanks to everybody that helped me with the trans on this.

now i know just what's involved in redoing one of these.

the tractor is on the market now.

it's listed here and locally.

my sister in law decided she doesn't want it.

as cute as this is i like my c-series much better.

• Like 1

fourwheels0

ok stevasuarus here's a set of shifting forks i pulled from a 61 551 trans.

they look exactly like the ones in my 550 (the wear on the right fork.) my 550 trans fork has the same wear. that's not supposed to be there right?

i'm thinking i can use the one on the left for my trans and not have an issue correct?

SAM_0215_zpse426085d.jpg

stevasaurus

Mike, you are correct...both forks are identical to each other and the same in both transmissions. WH # 3503 Also, the front fork shafts are the same,..WH #5615... and the back fork shafts are the same...WH #5616 in both transmissions ie. The 5007 and the 5010 transmissions. Yes, that is wear on the right fork. :)

fourwheels0

ok great thanks.

if i end up keeping the tractor then i know i have a good fork to put in when i decide to tackle it.

• Like 1

bamaboyz71

Steve, Thank You for everything! You have been more help then I can say. Plus Jake Kuhn" for the parts...this Hillbilly from ALABAMA would have never got this right if not been for you Two real Good folks! Thanks so much From Alabama...

• Like 1