Sign in to follow this  
farmerall

Well I bought a Wheel Horse 551

farmerall

I know I said I wasn't going to buy it right away but I really wanted it and I managed to find jsut enough spare money to afford it. I feel I got a ok deal for $300. So far I have found that the engine seems to be seized and the tranny wont shift into 2 and 3 gear. I will also need new front rims. Otherwise all of the other bolts have came out without any problem. The hood is very straight without any dents or cracks. It even still has the original serial number tag. This is going to be a long term project.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Looks like you got a nice complete tractor. I just started a C series but I think it will take a long time for me too.But thats the fun part. Good Luck!

855ownerJoel

Very nice and having the deck and plow is a bonus to me! Enjoy working on her.

Ken B

Nice score. What are your plans for it? I think it would look super with just a bath and a spray and wipe with some WD-40. I wouldn't throw away that original seat cover, have it resewn. Have fun whatever way you go with it!

ray

For rust removal, I use a plastic tub, bucket or whatever handy, and soak rusted parts in 100% vinegar for a day or two. I also use naval jelly on those hard to get at places on the frame, and just let pb blaster or wd 40 set on other areas too. You'll be surprised how well all this works. One tough area for me was that one of the kingpins was frozen, so I just heated this lightly with a propane torch until it was freed. I took videos of my RJ58, so if you want to, you can see the before and after rust removal videos on my You Tube channel called middyband. The hardest thing is having a tractor missing parts, the easy part is getting rid of the rust.

Jake Kuhn

Nice tractor! Looks like a very nice project! :handgestures-thumbup:

wallfish

Very nice score for that price.

The tranny may not have a problem with 2 + 3rd. Sometimes the gears don't mesh exactly when sitting still. Try moving the tractor or turning the drive pulley while shifting it into those gears.

Those front rims don't look that bad compared to some of mine unless there are rot holes in them.

farmerall

I didn't get lucky with the engine. I tore into it only to discover that it will need to be rebuilt. The top of the bore is rusty and there is some pitting. It also appears that the engine ws rin lean and hot for some time. There was no carbon on the exhaust valve. Instead it was light brown and fairly clean.

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

neil

Great that you decided to buy it :happy-jumpeveryone: , I agree with Ken B that you should just give it an oil bath , there are plenty of nice red ones about but theres only one like yours .

but most of all have fun in getting her going

ray

Oh yeah, you have a great find!

Tankman

Great find! Excellent save! Complete as is, a treasure! Thanks for saving old iron! :bow-blue:

Wheel-N-It

Good find, good investment. Have fun with your resto project.

KC9KAS

Looks like it has possibilities....Keep us posted on your progress.

wp205a

I like it.