Sign in to follow this  
3609horse

How much hp to run snowblower

3609horse

I know more HP is better but how would a 10hp gear drive tractor do with a 36" blower? Thanks, Gene..

Sparky

I've used a single stage blower with a 12hp Kohler single, 16hp Onan Twin and a 18hp Kohler Magnum. The Onan and the 18 Kohler tossed the snow with ease. My 12 Kohler (C-125) had to be babied a bit in the deeper stuff.

Yes it will move snow, but it will work harder and you'll have to do it slower in my opinion.

Mike.........

littleredrider

I have a 13 horse on mine and does pretty good. Sometimes it feels like it's hardly working hard, can't really hear the engine load....

can whlvr

a 10 might do it but its a little small,depends on how much snow and like sparky said you will have to go slow at times,ive run my 42,s with a 10,12 13,14 16 hp motors and the 16 rules,but if its your only option it will do it,and a 36 is easier to turn than a 42,i took the wings off of mine when running the smaller engines

3609horse

Thanks for the input. I have a 16hp twin with a blower but I am putting together a 10hp black hood and just wondering how it might handle a snow blower.

It's a nice running tractor so far, just looking to see if I am wasting my time. I don't mind going slow, just gives me more seat time., Thanks, Gene...

racin_ny

I had problems with the blackhood interfering with the belt driving the blower you may want to check that out. The hood was too wide where the belt passes to go to the blower. ;-)

3609horse

I had problems with the blackhood interfering with the belt driving the blower you may want to check that out. The hood was too wide where the belt passes to go to the blower. ;-)

I was afraid of that. I have two others and when I look down the side with the PTO it looks really close, If this doesn't work it's going to put a kink in my plans.

I will find out this week when i take it out of the shed for it's first run in the snow. Thanks, Gene...

Wyattrrp

Just a note to say my Black Hood C-125 and my 312-8 have both run a 42 inch single stage pertty well. If wet heavy snow 6 inches or more the 12 HP does work hard but still functions well. In powder it has no problem doing 42 inch wide. If the 10 HP has a power issue you can remove the wings which narrows the feed to 36 inches. Normally only the first pass is full width anyway so the remaining passes you can overlap the new snow 2/3 or whatever works well for you.

The belt rounting is not an issue with either tractor. The manual states the belt should be mounted on the outer PTO pulley and the belt then is well beyond the hood tins. Some guys on here like to put the belt on the inner pulley. which is a larger diameter thus making the blower spin faster. The belt may then be so close to the hood side tins it could hit. I figure it already runs pretty darn fast on the outer pulley since you are supposed to run full throttle at 3600 RPM. The auger is moving fast enough for me and does throw snow pretty well. Here is a link to my video last year of the 312 showing fairly light snow that I plowed to the side of the driveway then blew it onto the grass. You can hear the 12 HP working but id throws it pretty far considering it is on the outer maller pulley as called for.

• Like 1

Forest Road

I know 2 guys running singles with 10hp tractors. They're both very happy

ol550

This is a retired snowblower, but it had 3000 hp. Kind of a special purpose though.

IMG] SnowBlower.jpg

Edited by ol550
  • Like 1

Martin

post-4321-0-16445400-1358202425.jpg

hey mike, does that use the tach-a-matic setup?

what size belts?

Wyattrrp

AND no Sitff Wire in front of the auger to stop the hand injury when reaching in to unclog it from wet heavy snow! Shame Shame.

But.... I bet it did a good job of thorwing 8 ft drifts!! With that I would need more rear weights!

ol550

No tach a matic hookup. Would need extra weight to push it. Weighed in at 367,400 pounds and

required 3 or 4 engines to push it 4-6 mph. The blower fan is 12 ft. :omg:

Wyattrrp

Any Video of it working???

ol550

Any Video of it working???

This one is in a museum in St Louis MO. YouTube has similar ones just search railroad snow blower.

liketoplayto

My dad used his 1975 c100 with ten hp and blowed snow in lansing michigan thru out the neigbor hood and a apartment complex ajasant from his back lot he used it till snow blower wore out in 2005 and then he bought a new snow blower and it still going today

just my 2 cents thanks

• Like 1

varosd

I have used my good ole B-80 w/o issues but as all have commented before, common sense rules. I don't have behemoth a 2 stage blower, but still fun.

picture from the other year...when we had snow...sigh!

2011.jpg

• Like 1

3609horse

I have used my good ole B-80 w/o issues but as all have commented before, common sense rules. I don't have behemoth a 2 stage blower, but still fun.

picture from the other year...when we had snow...sigh!

2011.jpg

Thats a nice looking tractor you have. Thanks for the response. I got to use my 10hp this last storm and it did a very good job, even when it was wet and heavy

I just had to adjust the speed to the load. Thanks to everyone that commented. Gene..

littleredrider

If we get any more snow this year, I might mount the blower on the diesel, see how that does. So far I have yet to hear it struggle....