Sign in to follow this  
myron in ct

Lawn ranger

myron in ct

Is A Lawn Ranger just a round hood wheel horse with smaller tires ?

WheelHorseSteve

Welcome to Red Square, Myron! The Lawn Ranger is a model in itself with several differences from the RJs and Suburbans of its day... With smaller tires being the most obvious. I'm sure others could do this explanation more justice...

Ken B

Myron as in CT Antique Machinery Myron?

Kelly

The very first Rangers are basicly a round hood with some mods, but about 65 they became their own machine with little in common with the bigger tractors.

Terry M

The very first Rangers are basicly a round hood with some mods, but about 65 they became their own machine with little in common with the bigger tractors.

But Don't under estimate how much work they can do.... I now have four of them and have my sights on a fifth.
  • Like 1

dgoyette

But Don't under estimate how much work they can do.... I now have four of them and have my sights on a fifth.

Ditto, I have 2 and they sip gas and work hard! Easy on and off for cart towing / yard clean up. I use them quite a lot. (1969 and prior models)

• Like 1

littleredrider

I have a 63, has the rounded rear fenders similar to a 702 or 854. I swapped frames from a 67 ranger for tighter steering as the 63 is horrible. For the winter I mounted up a blower, and swapped the front axle and rear fenders from a 1045, and put 23x10s on the back and 4.8x8s up front. Now it looks like a 653 or 753. Save for the 13 horse clone....

sorekiwi

Easy on and off for cart towing / yard clean up.

Ditto on this, they're low enough to easily swing your leg over which is a huge plus for old broken bodies like mine.

I actually prefer the early axle and steering set up (pre '64 on the Rangers?) as opposed to the later axle.

TT

I actually prefer the early axle and steering set up (pre '64 on the Rangers?) as opposed to the later axle.

'62 & '63 used the non-cambered axle with the solid tie rod and short drag link.

1962:

32En400003.jpg

1963:

WHmisc005.jpg

1964 had the same axle as the 1964 round hood tractors and had individual tie rods connected to cast arms pinned to the spindle tops.

DSC05798.jpg

1965 - 1968 used the narrower Lawn Ranger-specific front axle with two tie rods connected to arms welded to the spindle below the front axle.

post-33-0-26880300-1357057688_thumb.png

sorekiwi

Thanks for posting that Terry.

I never realised the '64's had that "hybrid" set-up.

Lane Ranger

Myron:

Here is a link to some more good information about the Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger models and their capabilities!

100_9407.jpg

100_9397.jpg

100_9398.jpg

100_9399.jpg

Terry M

TT, may I ask...... I noticed the 64' ranger without an engine still has the gas tank mounted. so what i'm seeing is a different gas tank mount for the 64' compared to the 65'-68's ? Just curious....my rangers are 65-67 models and I'm more interested in learning more about the earlier models(64 and older) and hoping to find one of those someday.

Also,Thanks for the info on the front axels . :handgestures-thumbupright: