Sign in to follow this  
welderman85

duplicolor paint

welderman85

i rember reading about duplicolor spray paint in a post a while ago. so when i was at Meijer tonight i looked at the paint. i found duplicolor in cherry red its a real colse match to regal red maybe a little darker but very close i plan to try it out asap and will keep you guys posted the hitch pin and brush are regal red rustolem,the tall can is ace rust stop regal red and the other is the duplicolor it very close to the rustoluem

post-8205-0-86358600-1355793462_thumb.jp

Tankman

Will be watchin' to see how the DupliColor matches (or not) the RustOleum Regal Red.

Been using DupliColor Silver Wheel Paint on my 400 rims. Nice stuff! Easily applied, dries fast. Excellent results.

If the DupliColor red matches, I'm going to try it. What color is the DupliColor red? :eusa-think:

Is the Duplicolor red called Regal Red?

welderman85

Its called cherry red I will spray some as soon as I can then I will post some pics

SousaKerry

Duplicor engine enamel, Ford Red is a dead on match for Rustoleum Regal Red, Painted the engine of my 655 with Duplicolor and the tractor is Rustoleum looks like it all came from the same can.

Tankman

Duplicolor engine enamel, Ford Red is a dead on match for Rustoleum Regal Red, Painted the engine of my 655 with Duplicolor and the tractor is Rustoleum looks like it all came from the same can.

I'm going to give Duplicolor a try! My four Horses are all Rustoleum Regal Red, wheels either Rustoleum Satin White ('68 Raider 12 & '73 "No Name" 12hp Automatic) or Duplicolor Silver (414-8 & 416-8) wheel paint. I do like Duplicolor, a very fast dry and 2nd coat hides a lot of "boo boo's."

welderman85

i did this today from left to right is duplicolor cherry red, rustoluem regal red and ace regal red . they all look the same but the cherry red is just a touch lighter

post-8205-0-16318900-1355871600_thumb.jp

welderman85

the duplicolor sprayed nice and dryed faster plus its labeled as automotive paint so it should be durable.

post-8205-0-16504800-1355871872_thumb.jp

RDML2006

Looks nice. I'm just about done with the gaurds and deck parts on mine. Maybe I'll try the Duplicolor for the topside sheetmetal.. Do you use a primer with this stuff?

welderman85

i just did this as a test part but i did spray some gray primer on it first. but i use primer on everything.

Wheel-N-It

Welderman, how are you finding the hardness and scratch resistance of the Duplicolor paint in a spray can verses automotive paint applied with an air compressor and spray gun?

Ken B

Looks nice. I'm just about done with the gaurds and deck parts on mine. Maybe I'll try the Duplicolor for the topside sheetmetal.. Do you use a primer with this stuff?

Whenever I use Duplicolor I use their brand self etching primer. Its excellent stuff but make sure you have good ventilation as it stinks real bad. When I use Duplicolor I always use a clear coat. If you use their ceramic engine (fuel and oil resistant) clear coat make sure you follow the directions to the letter. If you don't, the paint is going to wrinkle and crinkle and you'll be starting all over again.

Save Old Iron

Duplicor is lacquer based paint. The initial shine produced by the base coat will not approach the initial shine of an enamel paint. The lacquer dries much quicker and simply does not have time to "lay down" to a high gloss like enamels. Clear coating the lacquer basecoat is what gives it the shine,

However,

Lacquer paint is very friendly to a good buffing and will even heal itself of any minor damage in the basecoat. Spending some time working a good thick coat of lacquer will produce a finish that will outshine enamel in glossy, mirror like finish with tremendous "depth" to the shine. Working the basecoat will also re-liquify the finish to a point and heal any minor imperfections without re-coating. Another great aspect of lacquer is re-coat is possible after very brief flash periods - no 24 / 48 hour wait period to dry (or maybe not dry) and no scuffing the finish before re-coating. The true solvent based nature of lacquer allows the top coat to partially dissolve the previous coat, chemically locking the two coats together. Ahhh, the good old days.

TT

Duplicor is lacquer based paint.

I also thought the same thing at first, but it appears Dupli-Color now has acrylic enamel aerosol on the market: DA 1640 Cherry Red Premium Enamel

Tankman

Read enough to spike my curiosity, next shot I'm trying Duplicolor.

I did throughly like the quickness and look of the Duplicolor Silver Wheel Paint. :)

SousaKerry

One drawback I have found with the duplicolor is it will run way easier then rustoleum, my heavy hand has a hard time with this. A technique that I found works best is to give the part a really quick thin coating first (like a misting)and let it flash for a couple of minutes. The follow with a heavier 2nd coat as the paint will then have something to stick to.

I ain't no painter so excuse my ignorance, :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Edited by Sousakerry2

Save Old Iron

Duplicor is lacquer based paint.

I also thought the same thing at first, but it appears Dupli-Color now has acrylic enamel aerosol on the market: DA 1640 Cherry Red Premium Enamel

Giving the impression a manufacturer creates only one type of product would indeed be incorrect. Rustoleum is not just enamel paint, nor Duplicolor just lacquer. Each have an ever increasing line of products.

The paint I'm intending to check out over the winter season is the Paint Shop Finish system by Duplicolor - confirmed to be lacquer based.

Paint Shop Finish System http://www.duplicolo...psFinishSystem/

Dupli-Color® Paint Shop™ Finish System gives you everything you need to create a high-quality DIY finish - primer, color and clear. Paint Shop is a high-quality lacquer system designed for automotive and motorcycle applications that is easy to apply, dries quickly and can be buffed to a brilliant smooth finish. Paint Shop is a ready-to-spray system that requires no mixing or reducing, and with no re-coat window, additional coats can be applied at anytime.

For a worker, the ability to go back and re-coat or rework scratched or chipped surfaces without stripping down to primer or bare metal is a big attraction. This winter, one of the Cubs will get a bright new pair of yellow pants to flash around in the springtime. I hate shutting down the workshop for the winter. Lacquer may be one way around the problem of slow drying finishes when processing only a few parts a day thru the blaster and wanting to finish the raw pieces prior to flash rusting. I don't mind heating a small outside spray booth for an hour or so for the finish to set up.