Sign in to follow this  
lilredpuller8

Am I the only one out there with a RUNNING KV181??

lilredpuller8

Ok so i was at a auction back in the spring time and i happen to come upon a Commando V8. When i first saw it I told myself "i need to own this." More or less the fact that it was named the V8. i figured it would have a 8hp vertical techy on it.... WRONG!! i pop the hood and a KV181 is staring me right in the face. It was complete, had compression, a beautiful mower deck, head lights, and even the correct wheel horse seat. But the KV181 had me wondering. Me being the collector of orphans and oddballs tractors said "this would fit right in." So long story short i pick it up for 60 bucks, quite the score in my eyes. I get it home and start to play with it and quickly realize why these were such a dog motor. No points, a totally different carb, the starter fills up with water very quickly if left uncovered and over all just a bad design. But!! it runs and runs quite well. i was just seeing if anyone else has one or knows anything about them.

• Like 1

boovuc

Honestly I have never read about anyone having issues or working on a KV. That is an oddball!

AMC RULES

WHEW...and I thought my Techy was the only underdog here. :handgestures-thumbsup:

So...let's see a close up of that KV? :wwp:

lilredpuller8

odd ball it is for sure. I need a dipstick and the tube for it too. i dont want to guess with the oil really. I wanted to see if there are any more original v8s out there

Ill get some pictures tomorrow if this rain lets up

AMC RULES

Did you PM our vendor Kelly...if anyone has parts for it...he's the man. :)

lilredpuller8

No I did not. i am still new and unfimillar with the site. slowly but surely im getting hip to using it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

CasualObserver

Ive got the manual for it. I'll post it tomorrow. We used to have a member who only collected verticals who got it from Kohler. He doesn't come around anymore though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

KC9KAS
lilredpuller8 :WRS: You came to the right place for questions about your WH!

TT

:WRS:

The KV was notorious for oiling issues. I think they did come up with some sort of fix that involved drilling an additional hole somewhere inside the block, but I don't remember the details.

They are what I consider to be Kohler's 'oops' of that era. Some of the stuff they're selling now makes them look good by comparison though. :disgust:

CasualObserver

I was going to post the engine owners manual... but here it is... already in the Manuals section.

lilredpuller8

Ill have to look into that oiling fix. so far its not a bad tractor i just need to keep an eye on that oil level because it does leak through the govenor a little. Another fun fact about this tractor. I took it to the 2012 wheel horse show in PA since the feature tractor was the commando 8 i figured id bring another variation of the Commando 8. Wild bill said it was one of the very few he did ever see at the show.

jay in nc
post-4393-0-39335400-1355537693_thumb.jpi have one.on a charger v8 , great kid tractor, but it is starting to seize up from what i think is too much slow rpm use with the great nephew running it. i didn't know about the oiling problem & fix. BTW. this tractor was bought at the big show in 2004 & has dealer stickers from kanes mower shop. i also bought a commando v8 for parts but it has a hydro trany . this tractor is now my commando v16 custom post-4393-0-01058400-1355538163_thumb.jp and here is a before pic. post-4393-0-08485200-1355538364_thumb.jp i plan on puting this engine on the charger v8 then checking the other engine out. nether of these kv-181 kohlers has an oil dipstick, so to check the oil i use a drinking straw down the hole. very inconvient. hope yours runs good. for a long time. run it at rated rpm.& avoid idleing. JAY
  • Like 1