Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse50

An 875 Restoration Begins...

WheelHorse50

Hi everybody and thank you for viewing, as some of you may know about a week ago I added a few tractors to my herd. One of them was a 1965 wheel horse model 875. Today was the first day that I have had any time to do anything with them. They were non-running when I picked them up, today I got the 875 running and running good and smooth. It had been sitting for 4 years and with a little carburetor and gas tank cleaning, a new battery, and a change of oil it was up and running. I have a few pictures I will post below just to give you an idea of what I'm working with. I'll keep you updated as I make progress!

Don't mind the plow that was modified on there to fit by a previous owner. From what I can tell it belongs to a Suburban or RJ.

2012-12-08_09-46-22_740.jpg

2012-12-08_09-46-59_649.jpg

Here is a decal I didn't recognize seeing on a wheel horse before?

2012-12-08_10-40-22_928.jpg

• Like 1

smoreau

875 was the first tractor I restored and it taught me a lot! It took me the better part of a year, and lots a mistakes that I learned not to do again. But that's part of all the fun of doing a restore! If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

photo-10.jpg

• Like 1

woodbird007

Very nice looking tractor. I have an 875 that needs some work. Can you share some of the major things you did and what you would do differently.

Thanks,

Jim in Kalamzoo

smoreau

E- tank everything!! I paid another person to sand blast the tins and i did all the small stuff. It was a lot of work and took for ever to get it done. I E-Tanked my daughters tractor in the back ground and it was a lot less work! Lots of research if your looking to make it 100% original. Mine is as close as I am going to go, the rear tires and the stack are all that is incorrect for this tractor. I do have to say that this tractor does not like me at all. I have flipped it over taking it off the trailer, gouged the rear fender trying to get it out of storage for last years Charlotte show. and the new axle seals started leaking this year. I have no clue on how much I have into it, but it's twice as much as I would have put into it after I have done a few. But that's living and learning, so it's OK.

• Like 2

Zeek

Great job! I always wanted a 65'. . . I'm doing a Raider 12 and it's taken 3x longer than I expected . . . . :confusion-waiting:

Can you post any pics of your etank setup?

Edited by Zeek

WheelHorse50

E- tank everything!! I paid another person to sand blast the tins and i did all the small stuff. It was a lot of work and took for ever to get it done. I E-Tanked my daughters tractor in the back ground and it was a lot less work! Lots of research if your looking to make it 100% original. Mine is as close as I am going to go, the rear tires and the stack are all that is incorrect for this tractor. I do have to say that this tractor does not like me at all. I have flipped it over taking it off the trailer, gouged the rear fender trying to get it out of storage for last years Charlotte show. and the new axle seals started leaking this year. I have no clue on how much I have into it, but it's twice as much as I would have put into it after I have done a few. But that's living and learning, so it's OK.

I am interested in e-tanking but not exactly sure. Let me know. Thanks

sorekiwi

Nice looking tractor. The mid sixties tractors get me all hot and bothered.

There are a lot of how-to threads on e-tanks here. Do a search on "electrolysis".

earlleecliffton

Nice looking tractor. The mid sixties tractors get me all hot and bothered.

There are a lot of how-to threads on e-tanks here. Do a search on "electrolysis".

mee too

RedHorse1

Nice looking tractors guys! I picked up an 875 about a month ago that I will probably start to restore in the fall. It runs good and the trans seems to be strong. No doubt I will be hitting you guys up for some advice when the time comes. Here is a picture of the old girl below (if I can get this to work that is). This is my first time reply to a post. :)

post-9195-0-95244800-1365556711.jpg

VinsRJ

Looks like a nice foundation to start with.

And I personally have never seen that Kohler decal, nice score!

CasualObserver

I've seen that decal before, but never on a Wheel Horse. I've seen it on the side of the gas tanks that were mounted on top of the engine in the mid-late 60s.  They may have also used them on Kohler two-cycle stuff.  I seem to recall that being on the cover of one of my snowmobile literature pieces I used to have, but can't find a picture of it.

RedHorse1

When you guys have a minute can you look at what the spec number is on your engine for the 875. All of the files I can find says it should be 30108A but I have one and have seen at least one more that has 30108C. Your help is appreciated.

gwest_ca

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2079-kohler-k181s-30108c-om-ipl-sm-part2pdf/

and

I believe Toro got their info from this service bulletin because they copied other mistakes on this bulletin.

If you seach the archives there is also a 30108d

Garry

RedHorse1

So maybe the 30108C just got missed in the documents. Thanks Garry!