Sign in to follow this  
Killer 2000 Chevy

having tranny issues

Killer 2000 Chevy

I have an 855 the tranny feels like the 3rd gear isn't there. Is there any way this is possible, that there is only 1st, 2nd and reverse?

TT

Yep - it's entirely possible.

What does it do if you hold the shifter in 3rd? Does it try to pull the tractor?

The teeth on the end of the input shaft and the corresponding internal teeth of the second/high gear become rounded and worn. In the early stages of wear, they try to push apart - resulting in a tranz that jumps out of third gear.

Eventually they get worn so bad (stripped) that they just slip.

Killer 2000 Chevy

the shifter won't move over into the 3rd position

TT

Is this a new problem with a tranz that was OK before, or did you receive it this way?

It could be anything from bad rust to a bent fork and/or rail to who-knows-what.

I don't even try to guess from the outside. They get removed and split so I can see exactly what I'm dealing with. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I agree with Terry...the only way to find out is to tear it down. You might try taking off the guard and belt and manually turn the input shaft while trying to shift into third. Do not use too much force...you could cause more damage. There is plenty of help, parts and threads with pictures and videos here to make it a fairly easy job. Check out this thread of how a trans works...not your trans but it works the same way...

Killer 2000 Chevy

Thanks guys it's a big help, I may try to pick up another rear end and rebuild it and change them out. I will rebuild the one I have now, later. I just got her done to use this winter.

• Like 1