Sign in to follow this  
CarolinaHorse

Starting to restore a 310-8

CarolinaHorse

I am interested in restoring this 310-8. Its been outdoors for at least 5 years. Has some damage as well. Im looking for ideas on where to start and some cost estimates. I drained the fuel which was milky and congealed. I was thinking put fresh fuel in, change the oil and attempt to start?

Cole

:WRS: I would do a tune up and see if she runs, does it have any awkward noises, this way you know what your getting into, put her under a good load to see if its still got plenty of power and then you can go from there. IF the engine and transmission turn out fine, I would estimate the restoration costing at about $300 to $500, It may seem like a lot of money but there is a lot of fun involved in this job. There are a lot of restorations on here and a lot of people to help you, If you have any questions just ask us. :)

Tankman

After the restoration you would have a lot more value than a BOX STORE purchase.

Never owned a 300 series but, many others. Lots of fun and VALUE. Have fun, and more fun!

kpinnc

310-8 machines are completely under-rated. They can do so much more than the 10hp designation eludes to.

And you can make a few changes if you want, and they look every bit as good as their big brothers. Here's mine:

IM000189-4.jpg

muledrive202-1.jpg

muledrive207-1.jpg

Tough, quiet, and great on gas. What more could you ask for, right?

jay in nc

i agree with kevin 310-8 are under rated, mine has quickly become one of my favorite horses! i have a sleve hitch on it for a bottom plow & disc. welcome to redsquare im in selma where are you? we are getting more nc. members all the time! heres my 310-8

post-4393-0-72308500-1354927573_thumb.jp

post-4393-0-34855800-1354927654_thumb.jp

CarolinaHorse

Im in Concord. My dad bought this new when I was a kid. I cut the grass many times with it as a kid. Its the sentimental value and the fact that its a quality piece. My dad passed away in June and Id love to have this thing running and refurbished. Its been neglected, left outside and apparently used as cover in a paintball battle. But its safe at my place now. Got the weekend off and Im going to see how much work is needed. I do have new blades and belts for it.

gd.pudge

I also have a 310. I agree with them being under rated. Mine was a similar situation as yours but I got it going and simply love it. It's smooth and easier on gas than the others. As said above its easy to put $300-$500 in a basic facelift plus minor mechanical needs but the sky is the limit there too. But your still going to have many more years of service than the finest box store mower good luck have fun with your project

hm12460

Excellent machines. The 310/312 is a very tough tractor, plentiful, and easy to work on. I wouldn't trade my 312 for 6 new box store machines.

Forest Road

The 8 speed trans is pretty much bullet proof! 10, 12, 14, 16hp all pull/tow about the same. The only time you really need more hp is for a larger cutting deck or a 2 stage snow blower. Get her running and take it from there. Good luck!

tunahead72

I drained the fuel which was milky and congealed. I was thinking put fresh fuel in, change the oil and attempt to start?

:WRS:

If the fuel was that bad, it's probably worth your while to make sure the fuel tank is reasonably clean, and then just resolve to pull the carburetor and give it a good cleaning (with new gaskets, etc.), replace the fuel line, and install a fuel filter.

You can drain the old oil before you try to start it, especially if it looks dirty or if it's been sitting in the engine for that whole 5 years. You may not get it all to drain if it's thick and sludgy, but you can refill with as much clean oil as you need to get it to the full mark on the dipstick, will probably make it easier to start. After you get it started and running for a while until it's nice and hot, then you can drain it all again and refill with fresh oil.

Make sure you have a good strong battery, and I would replace the spark plug and air filter also before you try to start it.

Do you have manuals for this machine? They're available, several here under the "Manuals" tab.

Good luck and have fun with it, there's lots of help here on RedSquare when you need it.

Wheel-N-It

CarolinaHorse, welcome from Orange County NC. Follow TunaHead's instructions. In the past year I have brought 5 old Lawn and Garden Tractors back to life back to life using this method. It takes a little more work up front, but only a little. And even if you could get it to start without doing this, you can bet you will be doing all these things anyway in the short run.

For the first tank of fuel, use two ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil mixed with 89octane Exxon or Shell Gasoline. After the first tank use one ounce of MMO per gallon mixed with the Same 89octane Exxon or Shell. Always use MMO in the gas.