Sign in to follow this  
dsholler

snowthrower lift height?

dsholler

I just hooked up a rebuilt (new to me) single stage to my 414. I put the pin on the flag in the top hole of the lift bar that faces down (this was correct according to another thread I just saw here)..

When I lift the blower, the back edge is only about 2.5 inches above the ground... this seems a bit low to me. I tried tightening the dial-a-height thingy, but that only removed the slack in the lift lever. Did I do something wrong? I also noticed that it seems to lift at a bit of an angle (right sidee, with the crank for the cable comes up first). Dunno if that is a clue...

I can probably live with it the way it is, but was wondering if it should not go up higher.

rydogg

I use several thick washers where the flag slides into the lift tube to take up any slack...with the blower in the lowered position you can look under your tractor at the flag and see how much the flag moves into the lift tube before it starts to lift it and shim it accordingly. Not sure if this is the correct way to do it but it works for me.

bk-scouter

:text-yeahthat:

I like to use 5 or 6 washers that gets a nice lift for the blower.

-BK

Wyattrrp

The owners manuals have a diagram or photo showing several "optional" spacer washers as rydogg says.,Slide them over the solid rod part of the flag before you insert the rod into the tube. The more you have the higher it lifts in effect it lengthens the lift tube. I have I think 5 washers which totals about 3/4 inch in thickness yet it only lifts the bottom of the cutting bar about 3 1/2 inch off the driveway.

dsholler

Hmm, maybe that explains the 3/4 inch bushing I found on the floor of my garage just now.. which seems to be a perfect diameter to slide over the rod. :) Will put that on tomorrow and see what it does.

• Like 1

varosd

The owners manuals have a diagram or photo showing several "optional" spacer washers as rydogg says.,Slide them over the solid rod part of the flag before you insert the rod into the tube. The more you have the higher it lifts in effect it lengthens the lift tube. I have I think 5 washers which totals about 3/4 inch in thickness yet it only lifts the bottom of the cutting bar about 3 1/2 inch off the driveway.

Wyattrrp is correct that the snow throwers do not raise up super high. Next, try the snow blade and with the solid A frame, it hits the bottom of the tractor. :rolleyes:

securedownload.jpg

TT

Proof that newer isn't always better:

20908003.jpg

:ychain:

• Like 2

Trouty56

I also noticed that it seems to lift at a bit of an angle (right sidee, with the crank for the cable comes up first).

The pulley tension assembly sort of holds that side up a bit and over time the left side of the thrower will sag a bit. Some sort of spring would help I guess......

Kelly

All the blowers I've had all had a lean, when lifted, some more than others, check the bolts that hold the frame to the blower housing, seen some loose and others missing.

dbartlett1958

The crank side of the blower is going to weigh a bit more also, causing it to hang a bit lower.

855ownerJoel

20908003.jpg

AHH I see, reading this post I hought, why doesn't it lift higher like mine.... Now I know, mine is an oldie and goodie.....

bk-scouter

20908003.jpg

but I think it would work a whole lot better if the blower was down on the ground. :twocents-02cents:

-BK

• Like 1

TT

It did alright on the ground:

20908019.jpg

but not nearly as good as this one :D :

th_2610snow007.jpg

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

TT that's what I tell my wife about the old snowblower on my 1967 L:awn Ranger.

It won't throw the snow 30 feet like the newer ones do but I also don't have to shovel it!

• Like 1