Sign in to follow this  
Lane Ranger

1963 Wheel Horse 953 Ross Steering Gear Rebuild

Lane Ranger

I will do a series of updates on the progress I have in restoring an old Ross Steering Gear Column for a 953 Wheel Horse restore project. Our tractor is Serial No: 62-560.

My brother David and I were given a 1963 Wheel Horse 953 which we have begun to rebuild and restore. David took it all apart and I told him I would tackle the Ross Steering Gear rebuild. We do not have the original 953 steering wheel but most other original parts are there.

Her are some photos of what we are starting with before all the parts were taken off the tractor:

dscn0345.jpg

dscn0349.jpg

dscn0346.jpg

dscn0348.jpg

100_0536.jpg

I ordered repalcement parts for the Ross steerign gear off of Ebay. I bought the kit before taking the steerign gear apart but the worm gear on this steering column appaears ok. Probably a good idea to take one all apart before ordering the replacement parts as they are expensive but also hard to get new.

The first challenge was the end cap. The kit sold on Ebay is from Guy Louderback and he sells rebuilt Ross steering gears in additon to the replacement parts. These steering columns were used not only on the early model 953's but also on Cub Cadets, John Deeres, Case, Jacobson and Ford early model lawn tractors. So parts apper to come from several sources and there are slight variations in the Ross steering gears between models. Guy send you instructions from Brian Miller's rebuilds, John Deere and Cub Cadet with some of his own informaiton too.

The original 1963 Wheel Horse 953 owner's manual also has two pages on informaiton on the Ross Steering Gear.

Here are some photos:

The worm gear box part of the Ross steering column

dscn6340.jpg

dscn6339.jpg

Lever arm with taper stud still in it.

dscn6346.jpg

Looking into the worm gear

dscn6344.jpg

Lever arm, seal and seal retainer and jam nuts removed

dscn6345.jpg

My end cap DID NOT have a cotter key pin through the end cap like some models do. Note that some end caps are made different with more of a star pattern on the cap. The cap has a straight slot in it and it was difficult to loosen up.

dscn6352.jpg

dscn6355.jpg

I used a screw driver and then a chisel and could not get any movement to unscrew the cap.

Finally I came upon the idea of using a 7/8 wood drill bit that fit snuggly in the cap raceway and I could get enough leverage on it to slowly turn the cap and unscrew it.

dscn6356.jpg

Here are the remains of the bearings and ball cup just inside the end cap

dscn6357.jpg

Now for a bigger issue

The remains of the original 953 Wheel Horse steering hub is still on the steering wheel end of the Ross steering column. I began using my trustly PB Blaster on it this am and will continue to apply PB Blaster and check for progress on removal of the old hub.

dscn6358.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4

KC9KAS

Keep up the good work and keep us posted of the progress.

evanloock

Yep the 953 Ross does not have the cotter pin used to retain the end cap like the D-series version.

Lane Ranger

Thanks guys. When I get the steering wheel hub removed I will be able to take some additional photos, clean it all up and repalce the worn out parts in the sterring/worm gear box.

Here is a photo of the repalcement parts:

dscn6361.jpg

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Ok update on the Ross Steering Gear used in the 1963 Wheel Horse 953.

Yesterday I took the Ross Steering Gear to my dad's shop to heat up the remnants of the old steerign wheel hub that was lodged on the upper end of the steering gear. I needed to get this off to remove the worm gear shaft that rides in the 2 or 2 1/2 inch steel tube that contains the actual steering gear.

The top end with the hub was heated in a furnance to get it expanded and it came right with oen hammer blow after reaching a good hot temperature.

Several things I have learned about the 953 Ross Steering Gear that should be noted if you are going to redo one of these are:

1) There is no cotter key in the screw cap end (end with the cast housing for the worm gear) and the cap has a slot on it. The slot can be tightened or loosened to adjust the tension on the steeing gear in the steel housing. I used a wood drill bit and placed it on its side - inserting into the slot on the cap to remove it. I will do the same when reinstalling with the new bearings.

2) The top end of the 953 Ross steering gear is both threaded at the top -for a nut to hold in the steering wheel and splined to accomodate the original steering wheel. I founf and older Ariens steerign wheel that is just like the later 953 and 1054 steering wheels to use on this splined 3/4 inch seering shaft.

3) Use Marine Gear Grease for the reinstallation of the steering gear in the worm gear houising end as it resists diluting from the impact of water.

Steering Gear Housing end with steel outer tube photo:

dscn6367.jpg

dscn6368.jpg

Photo of the worm gear -after the 3/4 inch steering wheel rod is removed from the Ross Steering Gear steel housing:

dscn6368.jpg

Photo of the top end of the steering rod with the threaded and splined features:

dscn6369.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

Another update on the 1963 953 Wheel Horse Ross Steering Gear i am rehabing.

Started the primer/painting process the other day while the temperature was about 50 degrees.

Here are a couple photos:

dscn6405.jpg

dscn6407.jpg

I decided to keep the cast housing for the worm gear without paint on it. That is why it is covered.

New cups and bearings are installed on the Ross Steering column worm gear:

dscn6408.jpg

dscn6409.jpg

I found a splined Ariens steering wheel that I plan on using as the replacement wheel for the 953 Wheel Horse project.

dscn6410.jpg

I placed it on the steering gear and it fit nice and tight and I think the 2 inch center will accomodate one of Glen Jeri's Wheel Horse Steering wheel caps when we get it all installed.

Here is a photo of the Ariens tractor steering wheel I bought with Glen Jeri's two inch Wheel Horse Logo Cap in the center:

dscn6411.jpg

Very pleased with this steering wheel and cap to go into the 1963 Wheel Horse 953 restore proejct:

dscn6412.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

HorseFixer

Lane nice pictures! :notworthy: I got loosey goosey one on MJ's 953 so that is on the list for me to do. No doubt I will bookmark this link for future refrence! :handgestures-thumbup:

~Duke

Lane Ranger

The Ross Steering Gears are well made but a pain to work on. The early Wheel Horse 953 Manual has a lot of good informaiton. They are not the smae set up as the Cub Cadet, John Deere or other makes but have a lot of the same features. The bearings are the main issue with the rebuild. Apparently a lot of ther other parts can be obtained from John Deere (1969 patio Tractors 112) and Cub Cadets!!

I wantyed to tackle this for the 953 rebuild David and I are doing but I don't think I want to tackle another one !!