Sign in to follow this  
mailman

Mower Deck Protection

mailman

What is recommended for protecting the underside of our mower decks? After cleaning the deck just now I noticed the paint is coming off and what looks like surface rust forming. Do any of you paint your undersides? Undercoating of some sort?

dieselhorse

I have seen guys have them "rhino" lined like a pick up truck bed. Beyond that or just cleaning real good at the end of season and painting with a rust converter paint, I dont know what else you can do, normal paint will just wear off from the grass wear, powercoat can get chipped ect.

kpinnc

While rhino lining is certainly durable, I wouldn't use it under a mower deck. It's designed to provide traction, and that is something you DON'T want under the deck. I think you'd have trouble with clumps of grass getting stuck under there, which is just gonna hold moisture, and breed alot of rust (or corrosion, if your spindle housings are aluminum).

There are several different methods I've heard of for protecting the underside, most notable using some type of corrosion-resistant painting, etc... While they will wear off over time, you ca re-apply them when you service the deck, and you will preserve it for a very long time that way. 15 extra minutes twice a year isn't too bad, and at $5 a pop, much cheaper than a "permanent" coating.

Maybe Dale (Thirdroc17) will chime in here. I think he had a post a while back that gave some pointers on what to use. Me personally- I just use a good rust inhibiting primer in a spray can. My 20 year-old 42SD looks almost like new underneath, with the exception of one dented baffle...

Good luck!

Kevin

bambooheels

just my 2 cents here, ive had a landscape usiess for 15 years, what we used to do, is 2-3 times a year powerwash, clean really well and spray spray cooking spray really well. its always worked for us... most importnt i think is when your done using each week use a good water wash and at the end of season whistle clean with a lubricant as well. :banana:

Duff

Another down 'n' dirty (read: cheap!)method I've used with great success over the years is to scrub the underside of the deck really well with a wire brush, make sure it's dry, then apply a liberal dose of clean bar and chain oil. I let it sit in the sun for a day or two over newspapers to drain off the excess and soak into the nooks and crannies. Then after each mowing I use my garden hose (we have 70 psi on our municipal water system) to rinse the underside of the deck.

I've found a good application of oil in the fall, a touch up in the spring, and maybe one mid-season seems to keep things pretty protected. The deck on my old green tractor :whistle: is as solid as the day my Dad bought it new.

Just my two cents worth.....

Duff B)

dieselhorse

Thats all I basicly do, keep it clean internaly thru the summer, espicaly when the grass is wet in the spring, the deck will really get stuff built up in it. When the grass is dryer in the fall, I can go several weeks with barely any grass build up. Fall it gets completely cleaned on both sides, belt cover removed and cleaned, then I paint the inside to protect it over the winter. mike

Teddy da Bear

I use WD-40 a couple of times.... Seems to work...

mcwh1950

clean out three time a year.

100_2218.jpg

100_2216.jpg

100_2217.jpg

hodge

I wonder how POR-15 would hold up on the inside of a deck. Anybody try it?

Kelly

I put two coats of POR 15 on a deck I sent to my parents in TX, last Christmas, My Dad says it gets sand blasted from the sandy soil, I'll ask how the stuff is holding up?

Stigian

i tend to clean my Raiders cutting deck of grass a few times a year, but one a year it gets a very good scrubbing and a nice thick coat of Hammerite keeps the rust at bay for another year B)

mailman

Wow. A lot of good tips here guys. Thanks! B)

Eriks Red horse herd

When i rebuilt my deck on the BIG D-200 it was extremly rusty. I wire brushed it with a wire cup wheel on a hand grinder to get all the heavy rust off then sand blasted it. Next i used rustoleum rusty metal primer( it fills in nice! better than the regular primer).next paint it with any color paint. B) :(Don't ask why any color wait and i'll tell you why). Then when every thing is dry use a can of Graphite slip, spray that on. You ask were can i find Graphite slip at any Farm store (ex. Tractor supply co., ect). they have it in there paint section. its not cheap but works very well. The old Grassjust slides off and is very good protection. Will last a very long time. Oh by the way any color paint is because the graphite slip is black in color! GOOD LUCK IN ANY THING YOU DO!

Stigian

100_2218.jpg

Quick question here guys, the two curving triangular bits at the front of this deck are missing/never there in the first place, do they make a differance to the way decks cut?

And should my Raider 10's cutting deck have them?

MaineDad

I keep some old oil from some recent oil changes on hand. Once I clean the deck and wire brush it, I actually paint the underside of the deck with the oil. Sharpen the blades while it dries. Helps a lot with keeping the rust away.

Raider12

Besides a regular cleaning under the deck, A few years ago took my deck all apart and had it sand blasted and then powder coated. Although this is very durable it still needs to be cared for. So far it has held up great on the inside and out!