Sign in to follow this  
josh06cummins

D 200 transmission troubles

josh06cummins

Hello, I'm looking for a little help with my D200. The trouble I'm having with it is alomst the exact same problem as the post "wierd tranny problems". When I first start my D I do not have any implement movement what so ever until I move the forward reverse lever. On initial start up when moving the lever you wait a few seconds for the violent lunge forward then everything is ok as long as you dont shut it off. I have went through the pump, and hydro motor earlier this spring thanks to some of the posts on here to help me a little along the way. Anyway long story short I have a 12" brinly plow for it was using it a couple weeks ago and oil temp was getting rather hot....180 on a mechanical gauge, "since original has failed", while operating it everything was going great until started pulling really hard, then a couple times it stopped all motion then jerked, and moved again. So after its little spell I decided to let it all cool down hoping it would be ok, well it is not. I couldnt get it to move unless I jerked tractor back and forth with travel lever in forward or reverse. Got it out last night finally got the darn thing to move so went out and got the oil warmed up a little bit then if I let it sit with no movement for a minute or two it would "loose prime?" then I would have to jerk back and forth until movment again. Did that a couple of times, now it wont do anything. Fluid looks good and is full with a genuine toro oil filter. Pulled hydro pump down last night to look at brass/steel plate which seems to be ok yet since I resurfaced it in the spring. At this point I'm lost and not sure where to turn. Any help would be vey appreciated. Thank you.

Tap53

I think I would start by checking the charge pressure, that would give you a good idea of internal leakage, if I remember right the rear wheels need to turn, a severe internal leak will effect your lift also.the pressure should never drop below 50psi i believe at 3/4 throttle, then check the lift, that should be 550-700 at end of cyl. stroke.

Tim

edit: re-read your post, I guess hard to do with it in your hands, LoLo

At that rate, Guess I would best thing is to re-check everything carefully again, others here have more recent exp, I forget everything after 30 days.

coldone

Maybe one of the relief valves is getting stuck. Have you checked the motor? Is there any strange sounds?

josh06cummins

Thanks Tim....I will have to check into that maybe that will give me a little more idea of whats happening.

josh06cummins

Ya coldone, the hydro motor sounds pretty good but the pump has a pretty good whine to it since I went through it, but has not changed since it started acting up. You can physically hear when it looses its prime though. As tractor is just sitting, doesnt matter engine rpm, you can hear the oil circulating in the system, then it'll just get somewhat quiet, other than engine noise??

Josh

coldone

I dont have my manual handy ATM but I will look into it tomorrow. I cant remember if the suction starts at the charge pump or not. I do remember that the manual states that the majority of "lose of power" problems were caused by the preload spring system being damaged. Is the cylinder group spring working correctly? Did it have preload on it when you took the pump apart?

It could be something as simple as a bad O ring on the manifold. To be honest I am kinda shooting i the dark for now, I havent really gotten into my pump yet.

josh06cummins

Ok guys, got a chance to tear into it today and found my movement problem. Found that the little snap ring inside the cylinder drum inside the hydro motor had let go. Fixed snap ring issue now tranny seems excellent until I tear it up again. Now the problem with initial start up is still there. You still have to wait a couple seconds for prime then good to go. So if someone could help out with that issue, that would be great. On a side note, I inherited this unit from my father about ten years ago. I can always remember, even when I was a kid, the initial start up problem has always been there. So, it has been that way for at least 23-25 years. We have just always delt with it, but I would love to be able to get it back to normal. Thank you

Josh

coldone

Glad you found the problem.

Tap53

gone

JamesBe1

It if is loosing prime, then it is probably starved for oil. It may be the charge pump not working properly, or the problem could be before that.

There are a couple of good threads on the hydro system around here with good flow diagrams. I would look to see that the hydro pump is getting oil.

Oh yeah, as coldone points out, it could be as simple as a bad oring.