Sign in to follow this  
sadixon49

Are rear wheels interchangeable?

sadixon49

I've been looking to buy an extra set of rear wheels for my 312-8. I have seen quite a few wheels from JD, Cub Cadets, and Cases on the net. They all look like they would interchange, but I'm wondering if there is someone who knows. To me I would think any 12x7 or 12x8 5 hole rim should work, but some seem to have too small of a center hole, I have a 3.125" center hole on my rims.

thanks steve

post-8439-0-91239400-1350919256_thumb.jp

SousaKerry

Short answer is yes, but the offset distance may be different. Measure the distance from the edge of the rim to the center plate if it is within an inch or so you should be ok. If the offset isn't correct it can lead to clearance problems or just a wider stance but for the most part all the rims are about the same. I have seen a couple of different makers stamps on wheel horse rims and suspect that they simply bought from the lowest bidder in a particular year. Other manufacturers likely did also...

Why reinvent the wheel when you can buy someone elses.

855ownerJoel

I would say yes, sometimes. Need to follow first responses advice but also on some models you need to make sure the center hole is same size as well. Carlisle makes rims for several manufacturers and remember the drive systems, especially hydro are made by different companies for the lawn tractor industry and thats why the rims are very often the same.

JackC

Need to check the offsets. Other brand wheels will fit but may not have the same offset to give you the same wide stance as the wheel horse wheels.

Wheel-N-It

Need to check the offsets. Other brand wheels will fit but may not have the same offset to give you the same wide stance as the wheel horse wheels.

I totally agree in regards with all LAGTs. A couple of months ago I tried to install a set of Sears SS16 wheels on my Cub Cadet 1650. The bolt pattern was the same but there was too much inside offset, and made the tires rub against the inside of the rear fenders. Fortunatly, the guy I was buying them from let me see if they would fit before I paid him for them. I sure was hoping they fit because there was a brand new set of AG tires mounted on the rims.

That old saying " You can't win 'em all " sure was true in this case.

WheelHorseSteve

If you do end up with another brand that doesn't have a negative enough offset you can do wheel spacers to make up the difference. I got some Jeep 5x4.5 spacers off of eBay and used threaded 7/8" rod to make studs. These off-white painted JD 23x8.5" wide rims work nicely with this arrangement -- if I didn't have the spacers, I'd have rubbing issues for sure:

Dico1.jpg

• Like 3