brandon701

Working on a D-160

brandon701

Is it a common problem for the hydraulic transmission shaft and the coupler that attaches to the engine to strip out? Well mine did and now im in the process of repairing it. I think i may have another transmission and coupler if the 18 automatic tractor has the same transmission and coupler. I also found another problem. The mid pto shaft bearing that is under the transmission is shot. I was wondering if you have to remove the pto shaft to replace the bearing and also were am I going to find one. I have included a picture of the bearing and also just a general picture of what the tractor looks like now.

post-5619-0-28294300-1349967941_thumb.jp

post-5619-0-59749800-1349967951_thumb.jp

post-5619-0-51867300-1349969484.jpg

CRE1992

There are quite a few members in the "Dysfunctional D Series Group" mainly being 1Maidenfan and Hodge71. They might be able to help you.

1maidenfan

For starters lets start by saying "nice tractor with front loader" those couplers do go out and they are available here and there.(ebay easiest place to find them) As far as the center bearing on the pto, I believe you have to remove the whole shaft in order to replace the bearings and its not that easy at least it wasnt when I removed mine. If I remember right the center one is the hardest one to remove but since you have the trans out of yours you should be able to reach it pretty easialy.

I get all my bearings locally at a place called applied industrial technologies.

P.S. The coupler should be the same on all the D series tractors as long as you have a twin engine (kohler or onan)

1maidenfan

For starters lets start by saying "nice tractor with front loader" those couplers do go out and they are available here and there.(ebay easiest place to find them) As far as the center bearing on the pto, I believe you have to remove the whole shaft in order to replace the bearings and its not that easy at least it wasnt when I removed mine. If I remember right the center one is the hardest one to remove but since you have the trans out of yours you should be able to reach it pretty easialy.

I get all my bearings locally at a place called applied industrial technologies.

P.S. The coupler should be the same on all the D series tractors as long as you have a twin engine (kohler or onan)

There is a new (n.o.s.) one on ebay right now but they want top dollar for it.

Might check with a local TORO dealer also, might get lucky and find one there.

Keep us posted on your progress.

1maidenfan

Best get those hydraulic ports covered up, you dont want dirt in the system. :no::angry-nono: :teasing-poke:

Trouty56

Those bearings on the PTO have a locking collar, There is a set screw but the collar gets tight as the bearing rotates or visa versa. Here is an example of what to purchase....

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0402136

• Like 1

brandon701

Is that bearing suppose to be seated in some sort of case. Kind of hard to example what im trying to say on the internet. In the bearing picture there is something that the bearing rides in that is bolted to the frame. That is under the hydraulic connection.

Marv

There should be two "flanges" like the one in the picture beside the bearing. They get bolted together and hold the bearing between them. The collar that locks the bearing to the shaft is tightened on the shaft by turning the collar on the bearing after the bearing is in place on the shaft. If the bearing is an original installation and was done according to the instructions.the collar is tightend on the shaft in the opposite direction from what you would think. Consequently, when you go to remove the bearing you have to loosen the collar by rotating it in the correct direction. I am not at home now but when I get there I will check the direction and let you know. PM me if you like. I may be able to email the instructions.

I get my bearings from KAMAN which I think is the Applied Technologies mentioned.

JamesBe1

I know several folks around here have spoken of drilling a hole through the coupler and shaft and putting a pin through it. Not sure if I would go that way since the couplers are not that hard to find. As mentioned above, ebay is a good source for them.

Also, I have seen a service bulletin or two (available in the wheel horse manuals yahoo group) that speak to the alignment of the engine and hydro pump and the propensity of the coupler to wear if not aligned properly. I've been lucky so far with not having them wear out. I always put grease on them whenever I have the coupler off of the spline shaft. Not sure if that is really all that important, but at least it gives me a false sense of security.

Good luck with the center pto shaft bearing. Take plenty of pictures and share them with us.

• Like 1

Trouty56

Is that bearing suppose to be seated in some sort of case. Kind of hard to example what im trying to say on the internet. In the bearing picture there is something that the bearing rides in that is bolted to the frame. That is under the hydraulic connection.

Look at the front bearing... There is a similar flange assembly to hold the insert bearing.

Pto Shaft.pdf

brandon701

There should be two "flanges" like the one in the picture beside the bearing. They get bolted together and hold the bearing between them. The collar that locks the bearing to the shaft is tightened on the shaft by turning the collar on the bearing after the bearing is in place on the shaft. If the bearing is an original installation and was done according to the instructions.the collar is tightend on the shaft in the opposite direction from what you would think. Consequently, when you go to remove the bearing you have to loosen the collar by rotating it in the correct direction. I am not at home now but when I get there I will check the direction and let you know. PM me if you like. I may be able to email the instructions.

I get my bearings from KAMAN which I think is the Applied Technologies mentioned.

Do you know where I can get those flanges. Because one is missing and i would like to replace them as well.

brandon701

Those bearings on the PTO have a locking collar, There is a set screw but the collar gets tight as the bearing rotates or visa versa. Here is an example of what to purchase....

http://www.fastenal.....ex?sku=0402136

This link you gave me is the correct size for the shaft right.

• Like 1

brandon701

http://www.fastenal.....ex?sku=0402136

This link you gave me is the correct size for the shaft right.

Trouty56

I'm pretty sure it is a 1 inch pto shaft

brandon701

ok thanks

JamesBe1

There just happens to be an "NOS OEM Wheel Horse D-Series PTO Bearing Assembly D160 D180 D200 Part# 103142" on evilbay right now if it helps.

bobert94

I found the bearing at tractor supply. Dont know if they had the flanges though

brandon701

I ordered the bear off the internet but i will have to check if they have the flanges at tractor supply.

Thanks

brandon701

Purchased some flanges at tractor supply tonight. Hope they fit.

1maidenfan

Purchased some flanges at tractor supply tonight. Hope they fit.

Can you show us some pix of what you found at tractor supply?

Thanks

brandon701

Looks something like this. I dont know if its the right one or not.

post-5619-0-41993900-1350256728.jpg

Road-Track

Here is were I get bearing & flanges for my horse attachments http://www.bearings-specialty.com

If yours don't work.

brandon701

Well I worked on the D-160 last weekend and got the mid PTO bearing in and also removed the transmission out of my parts D tractor. I just have to put the new transmission in and see if it works.

post-5619-0-49608100-1352240017_thumb.jp

post-5619-0-47218900-1352240086_thumb.jp

Desko

Well I know its an old post but did it work or not?