Sign in to follow this  
AmalgamousProxy

More speed?

AmalgamousProxy

I finally got my C-101 cleaned out and running! I had to replace the whole fuel line, the old fuel in the original fuel line had the consistency of molasses! I took it for a ride last night and it rides great, nice and smooth (after I took the chains off that is). I know that low gearing equals torque but even in high range it could use a bit more over all speed. If I put it into low range 1st gear it could drag my truck sideways, albeit slowly, maybe a foot an hr. An exaggeration of course but not that far off... Since I don't need THAT much torque are there different sized pulleys avilable to up the over all speed?

dsholler

I am sure someone will tell you how to change the pulleys, but I guess the question is whether your need for speed is based on the low range behavior. I am not sure, but I think it is the same transmission I have in my 414-8, and both 3rd gear high and the reverse in high are frankly a bit faster than I am comfortable with most of the time. So if you feel like you are going slowly overall, maybe there are some other things going on. I assume you made sure the brake was not on. Is the engine at WOT? Governor set low?

I know for me, I rarely actually use the tractor in first or second gear in low range (although I am going to take up snow removal this winter, so that may change... )

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Just about anything you could want to know about speeding up your horse can be found here.....

Give it a look! :thumbs:

• Like 1

AmalgamousProxy

Everything thing is working efficiency, brakes are not holding up and the engine is running very well, even the gov is working perfectly. I'm not going to race it but I would like a bit more speed, just a smidge. The service manual says top speed in high range/3rd gear is about 5.5 MPH and it feels like it's hitting that if not a tad over that. My old craftsman hit 7.5 so I'd like to see at least 7mph maybe 8 in high range, 12mph is just nuts. I just have a large yard and I'm building a self powered 8 blade drag behind to mow down 80"+ of grass in a single pass. And one enjoyable moment is to drive back to the house at full speed. However if boosting the speed is going to kill my transaxle, I won't bother.

littleredrider

I have 3 tractors, and two of them go much faster than stock. Easiest way to do is to change out the rear with a smaller one. Gonna need a bigger belt, but not hard to do. Both of mine have pretty small pulley's on the back, and one is changed on the front. I don't do alot with either, but what I have done I've never NOT have enough power. That's where its nice to have the low range if pulling something real heavy or just to go slow....

• Like 1

condo630

I don't think it would tear anything up if you don't go nuts. You need a smaller pulley on the transaxle, and a smaller belt. Tractor Supply has a lot of pulleys, you can probably find one that fits there. I can't say for sure just how much smaller you want to go...you can probably find some info on how to calculate ratios and such if you do a google search. Me...I'd just eyeball it and take a swing.

• Like 1