Sign in to follow this  
johnscag

Wheel Horse Raider 10 1969

johnscag

Can anyone help me identify the engine in my wheel horse Raider 10, 1969

1-6041 Model.

It developed what appears to be a bad valve tap. I will try and attach photos, but i did upload to my gallery.

Thank you!

johnscag

Rock farmer

It should be a kohler 10 horse.

And it appears to be a kohler 10 horse.

Joe

johnscag

Thank you Rock Farmer,

any idea what model or how i can research any known issues that may help my problem?

racinfool40

You have a 1969 Raider 10 with a 10 Hp Tecumsah..Model # for the tractor is 1-6041 and the engine is a HH 100 spec # 115095B...Take care of that engine and be careful of that solid state ignition..if it goes bad..Hold on they are pretty pricey if ya can find one!!!

MIKE

sorekiwi

I agree with Mike on this one, that is a Tecumseh.

The motor should be covered in this manual in the files section:

Welcome to Red Square!

EDIT: Changed link to the correct manual - Sorry!

Edited by sorekiwi

Rock farmer

I stand corrected!

Those guys would Know better than me.

Valves tend to chatter connecting rods tend to rap.

How did this happen?

Joe

MarkPalmer

From the photos the top end of the engine looks pretty good. The tapping noise could just be from normal valvetrain wear, I don't think those Tecs have adjustable tappets like the bigger Kohlers do, rather you have to pull the valves and grind the faces, lap them to the seats then grind the stems to re-adjust the cold tappet clearances. Those HH's were a very good engine, and are generally worth some investment to repair/rebuild.

-Mark-

Buckshot 1

:) Very nice looking tractor. I tend to agree, valve lash problem. Some of the early HH series had a soft cam and it could be a worn lobe. But you might want to check crankshaft end play :flags-waveusa:

johnscag

Gentleman, thank you for the great information! Upon review today i "think" i may have located the issue.

I will attach a photo that shows a gap between the exhaust valve and the push rod from down off the cam? The right side, seems to never have a gap, but the left side seems to seperate just a bit, At this point i am over my head , sounds like i need to pull the engine and take to a machine shop and the will build up the exhaust cam to make up for the difference?

Thanks a million!

gregg'shorses

Check out Joe , he is an honest seller specializing in small engines. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Horse-Charger-10-Tractor-Tecumseh-HH100-10hp-Engine-Camshaft-/190711318595?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

MarkPalmer

Gentleman, thank you for the great information! Upon review today i "think" i may have located the issue.

I will attach a photo that shows a gap between the exhaust valve and the push rod from down off the cam? The right side, seems to never have a gap, but the left side seems to seperate just a bit, At this point i am over my head , sounds like i need to pull the engine and take to a machine shop and the will build up the exhaust cam to make up for the difference?

Thanks a million!

The exhaust valve should have a significantly greater cold tappet clearance than the intake valve- one that is easy to see. You'll need to look at the HH manual and get a set of feeler guages to measure the clearances, (With piston at top dead center on the compression stroke) but "typical" cold valve tappet clearances are .006-.008" for the intake valve, and .015-.019" for the exhaust valve. These clearances often have to be quite a ways out of spec before the valvetrain makes a lot of "unusual" noise. The valvetrain commonly does make some noticeable noise that is considered normal during operation, as it's a solid lifter design.

-Mark-

Rooster

BTW...Great Looking Raider 10!

johnscag

Thank you!

johnscag

could anyone with a parts manual help me with part number for the locking throttle on my 69 raider 10 please?

condo630

That's a very nice tractor you have. I can't help you much with your valve noise, but I do have one of those engines if you ever need anything from it.

johnscag

That's a very nice tractor you have. I can't help you much with your valve noise, but I do have one of those engines if you ever need anything from it.

tHANK YOU

sorekiwi

I think I have the tractor manual and parts list saved somewhere, hopefully I'll remember to upload it here later.

Martin

the part number for the throttle control is 7890. in the ipl its a little hard to make out what number it is but its 106 in the chart......