Sign in to follow this  
Tankman

414-8 Tail lights

Tankman

My 414-8 has sealed beam headlights, a great improvement over bulbs.

The rear fender assembly has two pop riveted red lenses.

Does the 14 hp Kohler have enough "juice" to change lenses to tail lights? :eusa-think:

Save Old Iron

Depends on what you already have for electrical load on the system .

each sealed beam is about 3.5 amps - so headlights are already 7 amps. Adding one more puts you under 11 amps. If you delete the tail lights all together - you are back around 10 amps. The charging system should provide about 15 amps.

If you wire up a switch / relay to turn on the rear lights only when you are in reverse, that assures you will not undercharge the battery. Of course another switch on the hood stand could give you the option of rear sealed beam on all the time or just in reverse. Easy to wire up.

Tankman

I'll check the draw usin' two tail lens ass'ys. Simple enough.

Thanks for the info fellow New Yorker (born 'n raised in NYC).

Save Old Iron

You are welcome (from a born and raised in Scranton PA member). - if you have a 20 amp function on your multimeter, insert it in the charge line from the regulator and measure the charge current. When it heads north of 12 - 13 amps, stop adding accessories.

312Hydro

Couldn't you also use the L.E.D. Tail lights ? They would draw much less.

dsholler

man, with that muffler bling and tail lights, you are totally pimpin' that 414... mine is feeling very dowdy in comparison.

As long as you are adding to the electrics... how about some of this?

http://www.ledunderbody.com/Blue-LEDGlow-4pc-LED-Golf-Cart-Underbody-Neon-Lighting-Kit.aspx

:)

can whlvr

dont some of these units have a separate lighting coil thats dc volts allready ?for the headlights

Save Old Iron

dont some of these units have a separate lighting coil thats dc volts allready ?for the headlights

some tractors will have a "dual" stator - one branch supplies about 3 amps of (pulsating) DC current to the battery - the 2nd winding on the stator supplies an AC voltage to the headlights THAT INCREASES OR DECREASES WITH ENGINE RPM. That's the characteristic which most easily identifies the presence of a dual wound stator.

Tankman

man, with that muffler bling and tail lights, you are totally pimpin' that 414... mine is feeling very dowdy in comparison.

As long as you are adding to the electrics... how about some of this?

http://www.ledunderb...ghting-Kit.aspx

:)

Was thinkin' 'bout the underbody LED's. Goin' to add a generator to the PTO for the added "bling" and the "JUICE" going into the

12 VDC cooler trailer (equipped with a propane 4 burner grill for tailgate "meetings." :laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl:

njdpo

While Im not very electrically inclined I have have some experience with this topic.

I have used this setup on small tractors (Sears rear engine riders, and a Commando 800) and soon to be modified - my 310-8.

I have used two types of red LED lights from the automotive section at Walmart and they are absolutely great! I have also tried the amber LEDS - but they dont seem to light up the area well as the reds. ( I have since moved the Amber under the hood - why you ask ? Cuz' it just looks cool), but dont waste your money on the ambers.

The first red LED light is a small piece about 2 inches long with 3 LEDs in it, the other is a larger unit which you would find on a trailer.

I have both types of red LEDs on my Commando 800 ... I replaced the single stock red incandescent light on the back of the Commando with the red LED trailer light - which goes on with the head lamps (this piece is almost identical to the shape of the stock unit on the Commando). That single trailer light is very bright and casts a lot of ambient light around the back of the tractor. Its got a chromed plastic piece in it with small holes... I opend those holes up with a 1/8 +- drill assuming it would cast a bit more light. That single light back there is outstanding - and it never gets dull as the head lights do when I idle the motor down.

I have two smaller LEDs on the same commando 800, they are mounted on long wires and have computer hard drive magnets epoxied to the back of them. I generally keep them on the side of the tractor - and I have them rigged up to a seperate on-off switch. When I head out for firewood during the winter months - I can Idle the motor down (or shut it down) - and with those two RED lights (one pointed at the wood pile -and- the other moved to the rear of the tractor casting light onto the trailer - I can safely stack wood onto the trailer and still see a good distance around the area. It works better than I imagined it would (or is it wood?) ...

So back to your inquiry:

The larger replacement trailer lamps would probably be ideal for replacing the dual reflectors on the back your machine( I will probably do this with my 310-8). You may want to wire one into the headlight harness - and one seperately with an on off switch.

Oh one other thing - on my 310-8 (which is new to me - and very unfamiliar - im not yet accustomed to the hi-low levers and the dash) I will very likely wire the smallest red LED light I can find under the seat facing the dash panel - this makes the machine "glow" red (very slick) - and also allows me to easily see the controls during the evening wood fetching and snow removal runs.

I want for nothing with this setup - that Commando is lit up like a christmas tree when I throw all the switches on (without the head lamps mind you) ... and I NEVER have had any battery drain problems (even with the motor off).

Oh and another thing - the red light just seems to be better than amber LEDs , its amazing how well you can see with these things when its pitch black outside - I will frequently only use the red LEDs ( and not the head lamps at all )... I will also say when its snowing out side and and Ive got the reds on ... It looks like Santa'a coming to town...

I also picked up some LED 1156 reverse lights - which can be used for head lamps. I tried them in my ingersoll - but the lamp housings point upward to the stars - not frontward. These particular 1156's throw light from the front of the bulb - not the side - so on the ingersoll they are directing light upwards into the bottom of the hood (usless) ... they might work nicely on my 310 which projects light frontward (with a little fabrication work).

- Dave

buckrancher

you can use the standard tail lights the tractor is all ready prewired for them

Brian

Wheel-N-It

Go with the LED's. They are much brighter, draw less current, and will take more vibration/moisture abuse than a standart light bulb and socket setup.

• Like 1

Tankman

Hard hat with a lamp on it? Like a miner's? Or a rotating beacon? :woohoo:

dsholler

Hard hat with a lamp on it? Like a miner's? Or a rotating beacon? :woohoo:

Got some 10 LED lamps on the straps that you put on your head at Costco..3 pack for about $30 bucks... figure that is easier than wiring up the tractor like a christmas tree.. although far less cool.

truckin88

You can get blazer brand led trailer tailights that match the WH fender lines and bolt holes. Trailer section at walmart. They also have the exact replacement with the 194 wedge bulbs that dont draw much....you will be fine.