Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Mowing Wet Grass

leeave96

I like to mow the grass when it is dry - as I imagine everyone would like to do, but sometimes that just ain't practical. Sometimes, the grass is getting out of control and after a rain, you just got to cut it. Other times, it is wet from dew, either morning or evening, and you need to mow - so you do it.

I try to avoid rust and I've seen some bad rusted out decks too. One thing I have is an amazing MTD (if that's possible) Cub Cadet LTX1042 that has a stamped/formed domed deck and grass DOES NOT stick to it - wet or dry. Problem is, that mower is stationed away from my house with mowing chores else where most of the time. I call this mower my sacrificial mower/deck saver.

My Wheelhorse decks can hold a lot of grass under the deck, but I've never really pulled the deck after mowing wet grass as for my getting old back, it can be a chore.

So here's my statigy:

1. Mow whenever possible when it's dry.

2. Run the MTD Cub Cadet (sacrificial mower) when it's home and the grass is wet.

3. End of season/winter - scrape deck and apply slip plate.

4. Stock-up on used deck shells when I see them up for sale.

What's your wet grass mowing strategy - to preserve your deck?

BTW - in my neck of the woods, it's been very dry, but now ultra wet with rain!

Thanks!

Bill

varosd

I agree trying NOT to cut when wet and even 'planning' ahead (like this weekend with a line of stormy weather ) to cut 'early'. I just drop the deck to scrap if it's wet grass

rocky

I try not mow when its wet, my only mower is my patina'd 702, but if it is damp I blow the grass out from under the deck with a air hose after mowing, it'll come off pretty good.

can whlvr

im a little different,i like to mow when the grass is damp because of the dust,when its damp or wet i get no dust,which is in my opinion the worst thing for the engine and bearings,and all the wear items,but it is hard on the shell and not so good for the lawn,but ive been doing it that way for 30 years and the lawn keeps on growing

Tankman

Cut often, dry if possible. Park the Horse indoors if available.

Riding a mower, cut as often as possible. Just take a ride 'round and mow, mow, mow.

The less cut off at each mowing, less thatch, not as harmful to the lawn.

Before backing into my barn, I leave the tractor outdoors and with my backpack blower, blow the deck clean.

Once backed in, I vac the deck as well as the engine air intake.

Anually, clean under the deck, remove rust if any, rattle can paint.

Grease spindles, change the deck belt if required.

Years ago, my 1st Wheel Horse had a 36" read discharge deck. Awful condition.

I made a new deck using the cast spindle housing and 316 SS, then WH red paint.

Perfect but, a magnet wouldn't stick. :)

njdpo

Hi all

I just replaced a very badly rotted mower deck with another rear discharge ( im happy with the new deck ).

So now I try to mow the lawn when its dry mostly towards the end of the day when its a little cooler... (easier on the engine).

I f I have to do it when its damp I worry that im gonna rot out my mower deck. ( just paranoid I guess - since I had shuch a hard time replacing it).

I also use a leaf blower to get rid of the debris above the deck (and below - best I can), and while Im at it I make sure I blow out the cooling fins on the block to keep those fins from getting clogged up. I'm surprised to see how much dust comes out of the engine after one or two mowings - So I know I must be doing something right there.

Dave

gwgdog66

If you have to mow wet lawns; it is easier to drop the deck and scrape the wet grass. Once it has dried I've had to use a chissle and hammer to get the rock hard stuff off.

Duff

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet....at the end of each mowing I raise the deck up to full height, engage the PTO, set the engine at about half throttle with the parking brake set and the tranny in neutral, and carefully spray underneath the deck with a garden hose on high pressure stream. I let the spinning baldes work with me to blast everything from underneath the deck. Usually comes out spotless! Now for those of you with safety switches still intact and working, this will require getting a helper to sit on the seat while you do this. Be very careful not to put the nozzle (or your hand!) up under the deck far enough to contact the blades. Takes about five minutes and is very effective. I does leave a mess, so you'll want to choose where you do your washing ahead of time. Twice a season and before winter storage I take the deck off, clean off any residual grass, then brush on clean bar and chain oil as a preservative. After four seasons my deck is still 100%.

Download06-01-10010.jpg

Duff :thumbs: