Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

K341st

bo dawg

Hey all, I'm getting a 16 hp kohler engine that has been on the shelf for a little while...for free B) model K341st what does the ( t ) mean? :whistle:

It is a electric start and pull start, came off a cement mixer it is the side shaft.

Can it make fit on a 68 Charger 12?

Thanks

bo dawg B)

Electro12WH

If the oil pan is the same, it's a drop in. Otherwise change the parts from the K301 that you need.

Kelly

First there is two different style pans how they mount to the block, one is square the other has ears or tabs on the sides, then you need to know if the crank is the right diam. and length, it needs to be 1 1/8 diam. and around 3" long not sure about exact length, I think your Charger will have the pan with the ears on it.

Curmudgeon

S = electric start

T = retractable start

TT

And even if it has the big oil pan, you'll probably still need to change it. A WH oil pan is drilled & tapped up through from the bottom for the two right side mounting bolts.

You can also bolt a piece of angle iron to the outside of the frame rail, or you can use GOOD 3/8" "J" or "L" bolts that can hook under the bottom lip of the frame.

bo dawg

I got it today! and it is going to need some cleaning and little work. The carb is corroted and froze on it. Sat inside, but a leaking roof.

The pan appears to be of correct size with the ears on it. It was bolted to another plate from the bottom up, so I think I'm aright with having to change it. Gas tank mounted to it, along with a toggle switch and kill switch to run it.

What is the easiest way to work on it without having to dead lift it every time I want to work on it, pull the pan and clean it and etc...?

Thanks

bo dawg B)

TT

You prettty much just have to wrestle it around. :whistle:

You can take the spark plug out and flip the engine upside-down if it helps. B)

If the gas tank is mounted to the starter side of the engine, it probably has a low-mount starter. This can interfere if you are still using the correct 22NF battery for the Charger. If you use a standard L&G battery, you might get away with it.

kj4kicks

Not that I would EVER question TT's advice..... B)

but unless you're going to completely disassemble the engine, I wouldn't flip it upside down until after you remove the pan. If it's gunky in there, you don't want that garbage getting up around the rings, etc.

Curmudgeon

I use an engine stand. You know, the cheapest, chintziest car engine stand you can find. $30 and you're in business. Sweet for doing rebuilds too. Just roll it over and over and over....

linen beige

Eldon beat me to it! At the very least drain the oil out of it first. And Dale's point about the cheap engine stand is a good one.

TT

OK..... I'll clarify. :whistle:

Drain the oil first!

After the four bolts holding the oil sump to the block are removed and the engine is lifted off the pan, it can be flipped on it's side or head to allow inspection of the internals and the proper cleaning of the pan rail on the bottom of the block.

If the engine has the shallow pan, drain the oil first, and then lay the engine on its side to remove the bolts securing the pan.

Sometimes I tend to omit some of the "no-brainer" details when I type. B)

kj4kicks

Sometimes I tend to omit some of the "no-brainer" details when I type. B)

Yeah, I used to do that too... so now I'm "paying it forward" LOL

You still da' man TT !

linen beige

Drain the oil first!

At least we hope it's oil and not rusty, oily, watery crud!

TT, just couldn't resist a little friendly B)

You're still da man

TT

It's alright -- I have broad shoulders! B)

Besides..... when you're pickin' on me, you're leaving everyone else alone. B)

bo dawg -- :whistle:

Curmudgeon

I think it was safe to say all of us have committed a faux pas of leaving out a detail. If we do something all the time, the details become second nature.

Hey, if anybody needs an engine stand... all set up for Kohler big blocks, I just happen to have one! B)

TT

bo dawg - I was just thinking....... B) You're going to have to change a few wires around on your tractor, and also the ignition switch. (since your Charger had the magneto ignition) With luck, you might be able to use some of the parts from the starter panel from your "new" engine to help do the swap.

bo dawg

Hey thanks guys B) the help is appreciated.

I am one that needs the simple things pointed out, I might not think about it all...get too excited. Never done this before so I get cautious before I touch it.

Hey TT I will get some pic's of the engine and the charger, I may need to be led by the hand getting through it B) but I agree with everyone eles...you are da man.

I'm leaving today, taking the family to a motel with a tropical dome has a pool and hot tub, pool tables, game room, and me, just to hang out and relax. :whistle:

I will get them when I get back for ya.

I'm still keeping an eye out for the parts to fix the k301 on the charger as well, see which one comes first B)

Thank you

bo dawg B)

bo dawg

I dont get it! It wont let me down load pictures. Says wrong file type, but its same as others I have sent before.

bo dawg

TT

Are you trying to attach them as a file? They might be too big now that the maximum size allowed here is 56mb. (I think that's what it is. B) )

One more good reason to use a remote host such as Photobucket. :whistle:

bo dawg

test picture

Attached Image

post-61-1217210558.jpg

bo dawg

ok, I got the pic's shrunk to fit :horseplay:

Here is the rest of the free k301st engine, haven't done anything to it yet.

Along with the 68 charger I wish to mount it on.

I also have my working tractor the 79 C-161 that says its a C-165 on the fiberglass hood. (91-16BS01) and obiously with the changed out K341s.

bo dawg B)

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-61-1217215246.jpg

bo dawg

another one

post-61-1217215363.jpg

bo dawg

last angle

post-61-1217215420.jpg

bo dawg

68 charger

post-61-1217215528.jpg

bo dawg

as you noticed I dont know how to put all pic's on together. Now says I reached my limit, I dont know how to do this, I had 3 more pic's to send.

bo dawg