radarme

Drain oil before axle seal replacement?

radarme

I just replaced the oil in the transmission a few months back in my '78 C-121 and now I'm realizing that I need to replace the axle seals. Do I have to drain the oil prior to removing these axle seals or is the level below the axles?

thanks,

David

• Like 1

Coadster32

The level should be just below the seals. You can just tip the tractor up a bit on the side you're working on to make sure. Good luck with the picking!

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

You might rig up a hub remover from the other hub on this transmission somthing like this one I set up to slowly tighten and pull the hub off the staft and woodruff key. A little PB Blaster and some good bolts on this other HUB worked for me on a five bolt hub that was stuck on a Wheel Horse axle.

102_6687.jpg

102_6688-1.jpgIf you have an extra hub or one will come off easily -this is what I do to get the other hub off and to get access the the oil seal.

radarme

Well I guess I got lucky.... both seals had a slight leak so the hubs came off easily. Said a few choice words to the seals and they relented easily as well. All buttoned back up and ready to go!

Kaleb c120
On 8/20/2012 at 8:55 AM, radarme said:

I just replaced the oil in the transmission a few months back in my '78 C-121 and now I'm realizing that I need to replace the axle seals. Do I have to drain the oil prior to removing these axle seals or is the level below the axles?

thanks,

David

Would you be able to let me know where you got the seals and if there are part numbers? I have to do my axel seals on my 78 c121 soon

stevasaurus

Axle seals for the C-121...WH# 100443 (2) or NAPA caries these...SKF 11050 (2).  You can also order from Lowell in our vendor's list...Wheel Horse Parts and More. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1