Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

OK! WE ARE GOING TOGETHER HERE!

illinilefttackle

B) Ok Guys- Believe it or not I have my crankshaft back! ( Although it has baggage tags from all over the Scenic state of Michigan, just like it had been on vacation. ONE WEEK LATE) Well anyway, I had to chase down the mailman today, he could see me working in the garage when he came by-but just left a notice of "attempted delivery" in the box, instead of stopping and bringing me the package :banana: with the piston,etc in it. Do you think it had anything to do with the fact is was RAINING? My parts just seem to be trying to get away from me.

I checked the ring clearance, piston clearance, rod clearance, checked all the machining-bore 10 over-crank 10 under,valves done, I lapped them in.

I had to grind some off the New exhaust valve to get the right clearance-normal right after seat is ground? Lifter adjuster was bottomed.

Next question-can I tap out the roller bearings with something from the seal side-I sold my 50 ton press with my shop years ago. I don't want to ruin them, they seem in good condition.

Lube up everything inside good before pan goes on,lifters,lobes,etc-right?

Rod bolts seem to be torqued down from the factory-should I still do a torque down-release and torque down again? With a little red loctite?

My hands keep feeling for 7 more cylinders!

I'll probably come up with some more question by-and-by-hope you don't mind! thanks-AL

big mike

Al,If you had to grind the the valve stem to get some clearance I would have it touched up on a valve facing machine to make sure the butt end is square.Did you have the new valves faced or did you use them as supplied?I see you said you lapped them.Do you have a new govenor gear?Check your cam end play and the side clearance on the rod?

illinilefttackle

Al,If you had to grind the the valve stem to get some clearance I would have it touched up on a valve facing machine to make sure the butt end is square.Did you have the new valves faced or did you use them as supplied?I see you said you lapped them.Do you have a new govenor gear?Check your cam end play and the side clearance on the rod?

Big Mike-Thanks for the reply-I did Square up the end of the valve- I will check cam clearance-and -no- I do not have a new governor gear-should I get one? Can the old one be reused? I guess the rod clearance will take care of itself when I check the crankend play-right?

I lapped the valves even tho they where ground at the machine shop-seats too.

Thanks-AL

Teddy da Bear

Do you think it had anything to do with the fact is was RAINING?
Put a nice big lump of coal with a ribbon on it in the mail box next Xmas.

And remind him of the postman's credo. "Neither rain nor snow nor dark of night....etc. B)

HorseFixer

Good job AL! Glad you got yer parts and the engine will be on the mend! B)

Duke

big mike

Al,if you have an iron governor gear you should be ok to re use it if the gear is white plastic I would replace it unless it is very very bright white.The plastic gears degrade over time from the hydrocarbons they are exposed to and if yellow or brown can fail.A new gear is cheap compared to what you have spent so far B)

Crank end clearance is adjustable with paper shims that go between the case and the side cover.The rod side clearance is not adjustable but I would check it because if it is too far out of spec it could knock.If it is too far out it would have to be exchanged for a different rod.

All this might seem a bit extreme but when you hear that motor run 20 or 30 years from now you will glad you covered all the bases :whistle:

illinilefttackle

B) Big Mike-Thanks for the Tip! I checked and the gear is deep yellow almost orange Plastic(NYLON). Time to replace I guess. Anybody got any good sources for these? Is this part # the right one?

A235743S

Thanks for any help. What is a fair price for one of these?-AL

big mike

Any Kohler dealer will have or can get one.

I am not a Kohler guru or anything but have put a few together.If you want to give me a call and I will help however I can.

269-362-2133

Teddy da Bear

That is an easy one Al....

Go to C&C engine on South Michigan street (South Bend).... Ask for George (if he is still there). I think they are approximately 1 mile north of Tasher. They are on the left as you go north. They can set you up with Kohler parts

illinilefttackle

B) Good Tip Teddy da Bear-I called C&C today, gave him the part # and he said he had 3 of them sitting on the shelf! I'll pick one up Sat after work. Thanks again

Big Mike-you probably saved me some heartache later with the governor gear!-Although, I don't think I'll hear this engine run 30 years from now-The old left tackle would be over 90! But maybe my grandsons will say, boy Grapa did a good job on this thing!-AL :whistle:

Kelly

Did you even get your crank bearings out?? and if you did how??

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Kelly- I sure did. I just took my Seal &bearing installer and used an end just the right size to fit thru the hole in the block,or,the hole in the bearing plate-and tapped them out with a hammer. Pretty easy really. Just like driving out a bearing race from a car or truck Drum or Rotor.

I ordered them from Brian Miller-but boy is he slow-I dont think he carries anything in stock-when you order-he orders-takes twice as long that way.

Are you working on one?-AL B)

Kelly

Yes I'm doing a 16hp I want to save the bearings, but don't want to clean the block with them in the block.

I'm just overhauling mine not a rebuild, it is in very nice shape, so just lap the valves and rings and gaskets.

Oh ya the hotrodder got to me, so I ported the block int. and exh. turned out nice.

big mike

Al,you should be able to get the bearings from the same place you got the governor or are you using the higher ball count bearings?

illinilefttackle

B) Big Mike-I know-but I already payed Brian Miller. I didn't think of it until I called the place about the Governor. They probably have them right on the shelf. They are the regular 8 ball bearings. Live and learn I guess-AL

big mike

Al,how is your progress coming on your assembly?

Teddy da Bear

Yes Al,

C&C of South Bend would have had everything for your Kohler.

But don't ask for George like I mentioned before....ask for "Roger".

I completely forgot his name! B)

He did say he has had a lot of people coming in and asking for George...

I did not want to tell him it was "thanks to me".... :whistle:

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Hey Guys-Big Mike & Mike-I was thinking about it driving home tonight. I'm glad I bagged and boxed all the parts,bolts,etc. It's been a long time since I took it apart. I'm not senile yet , it will be a challenge to remember it all. But I have a good manual-and- you folks to lean on. I told Brian Miller if he didnt get the bearings in today-to send the money back to my Pay Pal account so I could use it to buy them locally. Still no word-time to get on the phone, I guess!

Everything is painted,almost-just waiting for the bearings-they have to go in first before I can do anything.

I'm supposed to be retired, but I took a little job to help support the Grand kids living with me. It was supposed to be 20 hrs a week- but I guess good help is hard to find-because they have me up to 35 hrs a week-6 days a week. I not gripeing, just been working for 50 years-want to slow down a bit. MORE time for Horses.

I've got some pics but can't get them loaded into my ancient computer yet.

Thanks for checking-I'll holler when I get everything!-Thanks-AL B)

big mike

Al,don't feel bad, your not the only one that has a little rain falling.You inspired me to get back to assembling a freshly machined 12hp.I ordered a set of Total-Seal gapless rings last winter and when I looked at them last weekend realized they dont fit the bore......they are WAYYYYY to big.Insult to injury? when I ordered them they sent TWO sets.The guy at Total-Seal assumed,and I never questioned,that a K series motor is twin cylinder so now I have 70.00 worth of worthless gapless rings B):whistle:B)B)

Guess I'll send the rings that came with the piston and have those made gapless then I'll KNOW they will fit........if they had only told me they could do that when I first called.

illinilefttackle

B) Hey Guys! I got a package from ohio today! It has 2 big roller bearings in it? Anybody know anything about it? What are they for? - AL B)

OOPS! The inside said OHIO and the outside said MO-Brian Miller. Gosh, thought I was losing it! My grandson just brought me the inside after he opened it yelling "Tractor Stuff".

I thought for a while there was a Bearings Fairy in Ohio that came to my rescue.

Well, after all is said and done-I can now get started!-Thanks-AL :whistle: