Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

It's IH red but not a WH

Kelly

Over the last few weeks my two youngest Hunter and Ryan, have been at tractors show driving some friends farm tractors, and having a good time, well this last weekend at the MI show they both pulled farm tractors, and both got second in their classes, so I started looking for a cheap tractor for them to use at shows to pull in the antique and farm stock class, I figured it would be a while finding a good deal, the wife grew up with her Dad using a Farmall, I have always like the Farmalls so a Farmall it had to be, well I started telling a few people I was kinda looking, My parents went up north to my uncles before they headed back to TX, well they spotted a Farmall for sale, and called me, I drove the hour and fifteen min. drive up to look, it's a 1946 Farmall H, barn kept the past 30 years, was overhauled about 35 years ago with light use after that, I drove it around and it runs good needs a tune up, could use paint but it's better than most I've seen, tin is all good, with few dents and no rust showing, it has sat for the past 7/8 years unused, so they decided to sell it 3 days ago, I guess I picked the right time to be looking, I paid $825 for it, heck I've paid more for WH's.

The kids are happy campers, they can't wait to drive it, I think Mom is pretty happy also, I might need a bigger trailer now, not sure my car hauler is going to like this.

post-85-0-14227100-1344390546_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-28715400-1344391210_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

stevebo

Kelly I do not know much about these bigger farm tractors but IMO you scored big on that buy ! I would think the tires alone are worth much more than that.

bowtiebutler956

Fantastic deal Kelly! That is a very clean old Farmall, and you sure can't beat the price. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

diesel cowboy

Great deal. The ones around me that are for sale in that shape go for around 2000-4500.

Kelly

most nicer ones around here are in the $2000 range, but runners can be had for less, I hated buying the first one I realy looked at in person, I normaly don't do that, but this one said buy me, he was asking $900 I only got him down $75 but that should cover gas to pick it up.

The rear tires still have the nipples on them, but are 10 years old, today they would be about $450 each I just looked on Miller tires site, it needs fronts @ $90 each.

Zeek

If I had the room I'd have one. I opted for garden tractors for that reason and the $$.

Foozerush

Where is the RedSquare sticker gonna go?? Nice find nice price!!

Jeremy Watson

Congrats Kelly, it looks to be nicer than 1/2 of the ones at the show. What year is it? Your kids will have hours of fun with it.

Jeremy

Kelly

It's a 1946 it's not as nice up close, but it is far from a beater or a rust bucket that I figured I'd get for that money.

clyde

you did good kelly and so quick too ! :happy-jumpeveryone:

neil

you would probably get $800 scap value for that tractor

Nice find Kelly

Are you going to repaint it ?

Martin

looks real good for that sort of money.

my boss is constantly trying to off load one of his bigger tractors (ford 8n) on to me. living in town with a normal size block, even with a larger garage, i just dont see how i could make room. just have to stick with the smaller ones......

enjoy your new bigger red one..........

squonk

You drove an hour and a half to see it. That's a dedicated "tractor guy" I have a 46 Farmall "A" that I'm trying to sell. Rebuilt motor,new clutch,new paint and decals. Runs like all the Farmalls do. I'm asking $1500. Getting lot's of calls. As soon as they find out they are an hour or more away from me they lose interest! :sad:

smoreau

Kelly, your going to need a bigger barn and bigger trailer for sure! Nice find. I always liked Farmall's, there a great tractor! You know how the little ones multiplied, just imagine what could happen with the big ones :ychain:

perry

I knew it wouldn't take long :) looks like a good start for you guys.I allways love the farmall's. but just like a wheel horse, cant have just one. you are going to need a parts tractor you know :ychain:

Ryan H

Thanks Dad Now you just need to take us to pulls!!!

SousaKerry

Wow you really stole that one... and for that price you can afford to get the right fenders for it, they should be clam shells. Has it been converted to 12V yet, if no I would consider it they can be a real pain to start on 6v if the engine is not 100%

We used 2 of those on the farm, Dad still has one and uses it occasionally for light tasks such as moving wagons and such around, Unfortunatly the H did not have 3 point as Ford still held the patent in 46. They are great pullers though those huge wheels deliver tons of torque all with 20HP and a 5 speed

Jake Kuhn

Very nice kelly! That was one great deal! :bow-blue:

wh500special

Nice! Hold on to your hat when you put that sucker in road gear...they fly.

If you want a parts tractor and find yourself in the St. Louis area you can have my '43. Rusty, blown engine, bad tires..but you can have it. :)

Steve

Kelly

It don't need much in parts and your a long way away, but thank you, I need fenders, these are homemade, but I went to a local scrap yard and they have at least 10 sets, all at good prices, he opened a semi trailer up and it was full of Farmall stuff, Ryan is getting antsy waiting to pick it up.

Sparky

Awww.....its just another round hood aint it?? :ychain:

Looks like you scored it for a great price. Hope your kids get piles of trophy's with it!

Mike........

decksetter

Nice tractor!!! But those fenders have GOT to GO.....

I don't think I've ever seen an H at a pull, the M's are really common though. If you can get in to a lower weight class with it you may do ok. I haven't driven an H but really liked the M I borrowed to pull a hay wagon last year. I don't have a farmall unless the IH Cub counts, but it's on the "To Buy" list.

How big is your trailer? The H is probably only 5000lbs max, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's more like 3500. My brother hauls the Case SC and DC together on his 10,000lb trailer.

otrelwood

now he'll have to get one for himself ,then the daughter, oh yeah ,cant leave mom out, now entrants inboth shows ,some in the big some in the little, sounds like lots of work. but kids and family time is what its all about!!,enjoy nice looking tractor

Kelly

On line specs say it weighs 3800lbs a friend the one the kids have been using there tractors said we can strip it of all the stuff I'll never use like the hyd, pump and lines, rear PTO, ect.... he thinks it will get in the 3500lb class easy, we will not harm it in any way just unbolt stuff and pack it away, lighter is better it is only about 25hp, there was a H at the pulls last weekend, it was lightly modded and pulled very well in the 3500lb and 4000lb class's.

This will be for fun, if they get right into it we might buy a bigger meaner tractor, I know I can sell this one and make a few $$ so for now run what ya brung.

My trailer is a 7500lb trailer but not sure it is wide enough, it is only 84" wide on the deck, we will see I forgot to measure so I have a call to the guy, and having him check for me, I can get it home, just have to call a buddy with his big 5th wheel trailer.

the fenders are ends out of a 275 gal fuel oil drum, ugly but built very well, they are going first thing, but the wife says no fenders no kids on it, so they may stay a week or so.

decksetter

I can't remember how wide my brothers trailer is but i know the DC barely for between the wheels. You can usually flip the wheels around too if you need to make it even narrower. Then the tires will actually sit inside the ends of the axle. I kind of like the look of them that way.