Sign in to follow this  
hm12460

Vangaurd twin on a 312-8

hm12460

Quite interested in putting a Vangaurd twin on one of my 312-8's and am wondering if any other forum members have attempted this. Main concern is a pto clutch, because it is a working tractor.

Don1977

You'll need a 1" drive pulley and a 1" ID sleeve for the PTO as most Vanguards have a 1" shaft. The engine need a 3/4" spacer under it to get the crank shaft at the same height as a Kolher. for a worker you will want the crank shaft at the same place as the Kolher so you can use the same belts for your equipment. The Briggs powered Work Horses will have the drive pulley and 1" ID sleeve you will need. I haven't done a 312-8 but I did a C-120. I had a machinist friend to resize my drive pulley and turn a sleeve to fit inside the 1 1/8 PTO sleeve. I used two 1" x 1/2" steel bars with a 3/8" steel plate to get the right height.

TheReDStAnG

It can be done, it will just take time. Like Don said, if possible find the pto assembly from a briggs powered or smaller 8 hp Kohler WH the have the smaller bearing race and pulley (but demand for those things are making them pricey as of late). Otherwise, many people on other forum's have used 1'' ID - 1 1/8'' OD sleeve bearings to build up the shaft to use the larger Kohler/Onan bearing race and pulley. If your really on the cheapity cheap, you could use some 1''ID - 1 1/8''OD copper tubing (plumbing) from the home improvement store.

EdG.

hm12460 ~ I am planning on doing the same thing. 18hp vanguard in my C-125.

I was told to get a vanguard with the keyed 1" dia. shaft that was 4" long.

I was able to obtain the 1" dia. clutch assembly from ebay.

You might keep checking ebay for someone parting out an 8hp wheelhorse.

Mine came with the smaller 4" drive pulley for an 8 speed, I will be using a hydro so I will have to make some changes somehow to get the speed up a little.

Just another bridge to cross. I've been told that the larger dia. drive pulley for a hydro is more rare and are harder to find.

Maybe I can change the pulley diameter on the hydro unit to get the correct speed. (???) I'm still checking into that.

If you do go with a vanguard keep us posted, I would like to follow your progress. Good luck !!!!