Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

Definitely Not a Looker

AMC RULES

Thanks Mike, that's really helping to narrow it down now...looking like it's most probably another 702...sigh!

Despite the disgusting humidity, I did make some progress cleaning up the reel mower. I managed to suffer through steam cleaning it today, and discovered that nothing was frozen, and all bearings seem nice and tight. Brought it home and gave everything a quick oil bath, seems like all will be good to go for a quick test run tomorrow, once it's all put back together and mounted up. I also noted the drive pulley has a small gear box with a fluid fill port on the side. I'd like to change the fluids, anyone know what type, and how much is uses? Just fill the box to the bottom of the fill plug?

post-3498-0-51652500-1344039631_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-85061000-1344039664_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-13296700-1344039703_thumb.jp

• Like 1

krazy_horse

Dont you just love those curved fenders,nice score!

whc160

:handgestures-thumbupright: Nice Score Craig!

rydogg

That tractor has a one piece tank.

Correct...that's what I'm saying Kelly.

For it to be '62 or later the correct tank on this tractor should be of the two piece design...top, and bottom, with a seal in between.

I think. :confusion-shrug:

'61 and 62 both have a one piece tank with a removable face plate, '63 and '64 have a 2 piece tank (top/bottom) and a non removable face plate.

Great buy!!!! I would have been all over that for that price :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

OH I was...I'm pretty sure I broke the sound barrier on my way over to check it out, but I was really expecting to see an 854 like it was listed. I guess that shows how new I still am to the hobby...I've never had to be a :wh: sleuth before when buying a tractor. What gets me is, how you can own a tractor 25 years and not know what model it is?

I guess the thought of possibly being hood winked by the PO didn't stop me leaving with it though. :scratchead:

:wh: You can be sure, these little tractors in so many ways...are always a learning experience. :wh:

AMC RULES

Well...another opperssive day of humidity, but I was able to make some progress.

At least the reel is all back together now, and ready to mount up to tomorrow.

Only thing is, I'm not sure I have all the linkage mechanism to engage power to the mower once it's on the tractor. One of the online parts manuals shows a handle to engage power, another source showed a foot control...so I'm not reely sure how it's gonna go based on the fact there are no visible model numbers on this thing to research...so I guess I'll just muddle through and report my findings tomorrow.

I'm assuming the rod I'm holding in the last pict hooks up to the tractors right side foot control...can anyone confirm this is correct?

post-3498-0-70719400-1344137743_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-32112200-1344137779_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-97470200-1344137894_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-98986400-1344138016_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-17801800-1344138059_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-71624600-1344138101_thumb.jp

Zeek

That is a nice find with the attachments! I have a 62 552 and am a fan of that style tractor. Looks like you stock tire are still nice shape too!

AMC RULES

:woohoo: Success! I actually got the reel mower mounted up today. :text-woo:

Surprisingly quiet, and extremely smooth while operating too. Overall, this thing cuts like a dream.

I gotta admit, I'm really impressed...just too bad my yard is so small. The added weight out front reely(pun intended)makes it want to push through any tight turns, so you have to be ready to lift some of the weight off the front end to actually make it turn when you want it to. Either that or I still need some fine adjustments to make it perfect.

Once mounted to the tractor frame, set up was really easy too. Just had to take the idler pulley off the right side foot control, and connect the bar to the pedal to engage power to the unit. Like I said...other than my yard being so small, I've got nothing but praise for this little guy. Not too shabby considering it sat in a dirt floor shed for the past twenty five years, huh?

I've included a short video showing the reel in operation today...watch when it first starts up, you can see as I'm coming toward the camera, the front wheels, at full lock...pushing through the turn. Probably wouldn't ever see that on a level yard with nice long straights though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdrVLd5gXoE&list=UUd_ptV1TUpPlW1VhCjxez_Q&index=3&feature=plcp

post-3498-0-07977900-1344201021_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-78268700-1344201141_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Sparky

So maybe some front wheel weights would make it steer better? Ot maybe a pair of tri-ribs. Seems to cut good tho.

And bare feet on these older tractors make me cringe :eek: !!

Mike...........

AMC RULES

Me too Mike. :)

Ken B

That seems to work real nice! Now you'll be lookin for a bigger yard. :ychain:

Lane Ranger

Craig: I like everything about that non-looker tractor and the front reel mower makes it very special. It's a Work Horse -Not a Show Horse!

And congratulations on getting to mow the grass -I have done it once this year!

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Nice deal. As for the deck, being a square one, you could actually fab up a new shell for it.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Craig: I like everything about that non-looker tractor and the front reel mower makes it very special.

Thank you Lane. :thumbs: :thumbs: