Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

adding a hydraulic cylinder to an existing circuit...

JUSS10

So i am adding the finishing touches to my 3pt hitch on my 1054. After using it for a while with my lift hitch adapter i would really like to add a hydraulic cylinder to add lift and down force. So i have thought of a few different ways of doing this, i can add a whole new pump and valve, i could also use a selector which utilizes the existing pump/valve combo which seemed great but then i got to thinking, is there anyway i can just run another cylinder of equal volume? i have a spare lift cylinder for my 1054 and i was thinking, is there any reason i can't run a second cylinder in parallel? One thing i thought of is volume in the system. would i need to add more volume? I would assume the the speed of the cylinders would half of what it currently is

Im no hydraulics expert so if i am way off on this, let me know! thanks

Justin

smoreau

Unhook the return line from the valve for the existing system. Know run a new line from the return port of this valve to the in port of the new valve. then hook up the old return line to the new valve. run your two lines to your cylinder and your dune. Wheel Horse used open center valves and if you run them in parallel, you will never get ether one to work unless you operate both valves at the same time. I added two extra cylinders to my system that use more fluid then the original one and have had no issues.

kpinnc

The easiest way to add a cylinder is with a two-spool valve. D series tractors are great donors for these, and they show up on Fleabay all the time.

Using two used cylinders on one valve will work, but since they will both have different levels of wear one may bypass more than the other. That would mean they will quickly get out of sync.

I used a two-spool valve on my 3-point, and it works great. You may have a need one day to operate them seperately...

muledrive110.jpg

JUSS10

i have a valve and a pump and the rest of that stuff, I guess i just didnt want to have to add all that to the system. The thing about the hydraulics on the 1054 is the valve and pump are an all in one unit so i would have to add a whole new hydraulic system.

how likely would they get out of sync if i use the exact same cylinder? loaders use two cylinders on the same valve and those stay in sync... I guess I'm just trying ot take the easy way out but i just dont want to add all sorts of extra stuff to the tractor if i don't need to

kpinnc

I forgot the 953/1054 uses the bolt-on hydraulics setup. Sorry about that.

how likely would they get out of sync if i use the exact same cylinder? loaders use two cylinders on the same valve and those stay in sync... I guess I'm just trying ot take the easy way out but i just dont want to add all sorts of extra stuff to the tractor if i don't need to

Loaders use two cylinders tied together to the same moving parts. If one is faster than the other it doesn't show up the same way, until the bypass becomes significant. Two cylinders acting independently of one another will behave a bit differently, but all you can go is try. You can come from the return on one cylinder to the next, or use a "T" connector in each line for the same result.

SousaKerry

Once the first cylinder strokes out the second one will keep going until it strokes out also, we had a few implements on the farm set up like this, if you have more weight on one cylinder then the other it will not go up until the other reaches the top of stroke as fluid is lazy and always takes the path of least resistance.

Just make sure you do not use water pipe for the connection standard SCH 40 pipe will not take the pressure, ALWAYS use hydraulic rated fittings and pipe/hose or you will wind up taking a bath or picking shrapnel out of your body.

KC9KAS

Just make sure you do not use water pipe for the connection standard SCH 40 pipe will not take the pressure, ALWAYS use hydraulic rated fittings and pipe/hose or you will wind up taking a bath or picking shrapnel out of your body.

Yes, be sure to use hydraulic fittings rated for this application.

Raider12

Can you use this same set up to add power steering?

Madcat

Added 520H valve and Allis Chalmers tractor cylinder in series with the belly cylinder and valve like this, for a C120 custom dump truck. Works very well.

post-4642-0-13958900-1406201649_thumb.jp

post-4642-0-75738400-1406201789_thumb.jp