Keith

Airplane tug

whfan74

Wish I could get it up here without spending an arm and a leg to do so. If it was closer it would have been sold!

Jake Kuhn

Wish I could get it up here without spending an arm and a leg to do so. If it was closer it would have been sold!

Thats a good way for someone from texas to make it to the meet and greet :ychain: :)

Kelly

Scott send me a PM if you want me to see what my Parents will charge to haul it up, they haul stuff for a living, in their retirement.

HorseFixer

Gee if I bought one guess I would have to buy another Cherokee 180 to go with it! Neat looking tug :thumbs2: I cant even imagine how much Av Gas is going for a gallon. When I sold my Cherokee in 1991 Seems like it was $3.00 a gallon and reg gas was like $1.85

~Duke

Keith

I'd get the tug and hold it for someone, if they'd bring me a good running Uni-Drive tractor! I daily watch the local Craigs List and this is the the only Wheel Horse that's come up in the San Antonio C/L in the six months that I've been looking.

Its a fun drive up there from here, not far. The town is where LBJ was raised, near Fredericksburg on the Pedernales river. A fun trip of an hour or so away.

I'm not looking for a pristine tractor, but a good solid working tractor. Sometimes I see them listed in the Houston or Dallas C/L. I've got some work to do, then maybe I'd restore it.

whfan74

I appreciate the offer Kelly. I am sure that hauling something that long and heavy wouldn't be cheap!

69 fury

just got back from looking at one in IL. never seen one before. it has a 20 hp torro engine. been sitting in airport hanger for long time.thinking about buying it . can text pictures.i need it like another hole in my head.

• Like 3

69 fury

bought  one yesterday.need to look up the model # of the wheel horse.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-bravo:           :wwp:

• Like 1

TDF5G
On 7/14/2017 at 7:36 PM, 953 nut said:

:text-bravo:           :wwp:

:text-yeahthat:

Jaws_Squared

Howdy!  I joined this forum JUST to reply to THIS topic.  

Yes, I have NO life...《grin》

I was doing an online search for "wheel horse aircraft tug", and that is how I found this forum.  

My first full-time job after high school was working as part of the "line crew" at Bay Air Services, an FBO {"Fixed Base Operation"} at Albert Whitted Airport in Saint Petersburg,  Florida  from 1979 to 1980.  

Bay Air had two of these aircraft tugs.  IIRC, when I started there they had an older one, and later acquired a newer one.  These were the primary aircraft tow vehicles we used.  

While it has been DECADES since I drove one of these things, I do remember the experience fairly well.

If anyone has a question about them, I MIGHT be able to answer.

I chose the forum nickname "Jaws_Squared" for two reasons.  The second reason:  From 1980 to 1982, I attended an aviation technical school in Ozark, Alabama.  While there, I 'adopted' an orange tabby kitten {or he adopted me}.  When he was hungry, he would nibble on my fingers.  So I named him "Jaws".  Really.

The first reason:  I do not know - or do not remember - who coined it, but both Wheel Horse aircraft tugs we used at Bay Air were nicknamed "JAWS".  I do not know if this was a common nickname for these vehicles or not.

may have one or more photos of the JAWS {the tugs} buried somewhere. IF I can find them, I will scan & post them.

Edited by Jaws_Squared
Added extra info to post.
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:   :greetings-clapyellow:  :handgestures-thumbsup:

:WRS:

welcomewagon.gif.53baa871015f07a1cb77498ad242f4ab.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.10cd5dd65a09e023f9136c29126b2710.png

• Like 1

69 fury

Jaws, what can you tell me about operating the air horse.besides flat ground , what about little grassy hills?

WHX??

:WRS: Jaws

Older thread but a few of us lucky ones got to see one up close and personal at last year's Big Show... awesome to say the least!

• Like 1