Sign in to follow this  
urdrwho10

Bought a 212-H deck blades stopped turning

urdrwho10

So my new to me mower was doing fine and then the blades stopped turning. I am familiar with the 310-8 but not this mower. My 310-8 has a manual belt tightening but this one has no such thing. Not sure if the mechanism to engage the clutch is working. I see 3 nuts / springs that look like clutch adjustment.

This thing hasn't even made it on its first 2.5 acre test.

Where should I start looking? I suspect the engagement switch. I can see there are about 6 different wires connected to it. While playing with the switch two different times the blades tried to spin. I would like to be able to jumper some wires to make sure it is the switch before I go running down a dead end path.

Any idea where to start?

Sparky

Any idea where to start?

You need to find an owners manual with the wiring diagram. I'm sure there are safety switches tied in with that switch.

Mike............

urdrwho10

I think it is the rocker switch. IT is an odd arrangement. You need to push down on the switch and then you engage the rocker, as of there are two switched.

Found some online manuals but not a service manual.

I didn't think about the PTO situation when I bought this unit and now that I know.....I want to:

A: Find a good deck for my 310-8

B: get this 212-H deck to engage properly and sell it.

I like simplicity, such as me pushing something to engage the PTO and not relying on a bunch of switches. This unit also has Bosh type relays. Too much over engineering for a lawn mower but that is IMHO.

When I play with the switch after a while it engages and I can mow, I engaged enough for me to finish my mowing. Or it could be the electric PTO/Clutch sometimes catching, sometimes not catching.

Any idea where to start?

You need to find an owners manual with the wiring diagram. I'm sure there are safety switches tied in with that switch.

Mike............

Philnc

Had a problem like this on a 211-4....Turned out to be a loose wire/burnt terminal on the IGNITION switch....Hope this helps.

urdrwho10

I'll check it out thanks.

Although with the switch engaged I am getting 12 volts at the plug to the electric pto clutch.

Just not sure if there is something else holding the clutch from engaging or maybe it needs to be adjusted.

Had a problem like this on a 211-4....Turned out to be a loose wire/burnt terminal on the IGNITION switch....Hope this helps.

Road-Track

I have had every problem known with the electric PTO on a 257H though the years. The PTO switch is tied to seat and other safety switches. If you have 12 volts to the PTO these are all working.

Now to make the PTO work you need a path to ground through the PTO coil windings.

• Unplug the PTO and check for continuity across the PTO wires (The PTO has a big coil that acts as an electro magnet).
  • If the PTO plug reads near Zero ohms you are good.
  • On the tractor side you need to check of the return to ground wire of the plug (the one without 12V). You should have continuity between the wire and the frame of the tractor or minus side of the battery.

Usually the connection plug to the PTO is the problem and just needs to be disconnected and connected a few times to clean the connectors.

The 212H and 257H with the 37inch deck are the best for lawn mowing I have seen with a Wheelhorse. The bigger decks just don't leave the lawn looking as nice and smooth and even.

Of course I am just mowing an old cow pasture.

Hope this helps :roll:

Road-Track

Oh! Another problem could be a weak battery. As the battery drains low enough after 10 minutes or so of running the PTO will disengage. The charging system can not keep up with a marginal battery (been there!). Do you here a clunk when you turn on the PTO switch?

urdrwho10

I do have a weak battery.

Sometimes the thing will engage and sometimes it won't. Yesterday it did and I mowed about an acre, I stopped, tried the engage switch and no go. That clutch flaps up and down like crazy while mowing the back part. The back part is a field that I mow as lawn. I also notice that there are no bump stops on the deck. I get a clank, clank as I am riding along.

Oh! Another problem could be a weak battery. As the battery drains low enough after 10 minutes or so of running the PTO will disengage. The charging system can not keep up with a marginal battery (been there!). Do you here a clunk when you turn on the PTO switch?

urdrwho10

The PTO is .002 ohm or was it .0002. Anyhow it is almost zero.

I went mowing, I was doing well for 20 minutes, bouncing along, then the deck stopped and wouldn't start. Went in checked the PTO and the same OHMs.

I checked the ground to ground and that is zero ohms.

I have had every problem known with the electric PTO on a 257H though the years. The PTO switch is tied to seat and other safety switches. If you have 12 volts to the PTO these are all working.

Now to make the PTO work you need a path to ground through the PTO coil windings.

• Unplug the PTO and check for continuity across the PTO wires (The PTO has a big coil that acts as an electro magnet).
  • If the PTO plug reads near Zero ohms you are good.
  • On the tractor side you need to check of the return to ground wire of the plug (the one without 12V). You should have continuity between the wire and the frame of the tractor or minus side of the battery.

Usually the connection plug to the PTO is the problem and just needs to be disconnected and connected a few times to clean the connectors.

The 212H and 257H with the 37inch deck are the best for lawn mowing I have seen with a Wheelhorse. The bigger decks just don't leave the lawn looking as nice and smooth and even.

Of course I am just mowing an old cow pasture.

Hope this helps :roll:

1054josh

If I'm understanding right this is an electric pto correct. If so there's an adjustment but you have to make between the 2 clutch faces so that's it doesn't have as far to travel. And of course I don't remember what that distant is but its thousands of an inch

Road-Track

"That clutch flaps up and down like crazy while mowing the back part." :techie-eureka:

Sounds like the ground from your battery to the fame is needs cleaning and the one to the engine and frame. When you hit bumps the ground connection is flakey and you loose the PTO.

• Take the bolts out and clean to bare metal under the (negative, black) ground lugs at both ends.

The deck is only held by the front pin. The rear pin just guides it and is for lifting. Is the white plastic sleeve still on the rear deck pin? If not hat is what is clanking around. The front knob should be tight against the deck pushing it back also, or at least on my 257H it does.

Once you fix the grounding problem your battery should charge better also.

BTW, .002 ohms is good.

Hope this helps,

rc :techie-eureka:

urdrwho10

I think I read someplace the adjustment is .011 or .012.

If I'm understanding right this is an electric pto correct. If so there's an adjustment but you have to make between the 2 clutch faces so that's it doesn't have as far to travel. And of course I don't remember what that distant is but its thousands of an inch

urdrwho10

Since 1988 I was mowing with a 310-8 / 42 inch deck. I could pull the deck in my sleep but this 212-H deck doesn't look as easy. Maybe I just need to understand the mechanics of it.

So far the only bolts on the PTO I see are spring loaded, are they the ones you describe?

It does mow well and noticeable enough that last night my wife noticed it.

"That clutch flaps up and down like crazy while mowing the back part." :techie-eureka:

Sounds like the ground from your battery to the fame is needs cleaning and the one to the engine and frame. When you hit bumps the ground connection is flakey and you loose the PTO.

• Take the bolts out and clean to bare metal under the (negative, black) ground lugs at both ends.

The deck is only held by the front pin. The rear pin just guides it and is for lifting. Is the white plastic sleeve still on the rear deck pin? If not hat is what is clanking around. The front knob should be tight against the deck pushing it back also, or at least on my 257H it does.

Once you fix the grounding problem your battery should charge better also.

BTW, .002 ohms is good.

Hope this helps,

rc :techie-eureka:

1054josh

Yes the spring loaded ones. There should be a opening in the shroud between two bolts that u can put a feeler gauge into just make sure that u adjust all four opening the same

urdrwho10

I found three openings and set them at .011. Didn't make much difference because it is still hit or miss. Getting another battery in a few days, I'll see if that makes a difference. BTW, what type of charging system is on this unit? Odd for a battery to run down while running the engine and would to me seem like a ground leak.

Yes the spring loaded ones. There should be a opening in the shroud between two bolts that u can put a feeler gauge into just make sure that u adjust all four opening the same

urdrwho10

Apparently the gap between the clutch and friction plates should be set at .012-.015 inches.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47347708/Toro-wheelhorse-Demystification-Electical-wiring-diagrams-for-all-WheelHorse-tractors

SNYFIX

.010 will make it SNAP !!!

urdrwho10

This morning I set it at .013 and while the battery was out, I used the 12 volts direct to the PTO connector. Energized / engaged every time.

Put everything back together and gave it a try while running. I had to turn the switch on and off several times and then the mower engaged. Turned off switch and tried again....no mower engaging. Slowly turned switch on and off several times and mower engaged. I think it is the switch.

Not sure what took place with the previous owners but the PTO switch is glued into the slot, black epoxy looking stuff all around the perimeter of the switch. Apparently there was something going on in the past with the switch.

Think I'll start the motor and give that PTO connector a hot wire and see if the mower engages. Watch the toes!!!!!!!