Sign in to follow this  
William Chatham

312-8 HELP

William Chatham

Hey every one, i have a 94 312-8 im restoring, when i try to start it the only thing that happens is the two relays click, i checked the solonoied it is fine, im very lawnmower smart but i cant figure it out??

Roanoker494

Going strickly by my automotive knowledge, if the selonaid clicks but the starter does not turn then the starter is likely bad. I am new with these tractors myself, but I also have a 312-8, so I reckon we will get to learn together.

William Chatham

i cheked the soloniod it is good i took a hot wire from the battery to the small lead on the solonoied and the solonoied clicked and turned it over.

canam1991

safety switch or low oil switch....

William Chatham

i know how to bypass a safety switch but if its the oil switch how do i bypass it?

Roanoker494

If I could figure out how to upload stuff I just scanned a wiring diagram for ya.........

Roanoker494

I uploaded it here, maybe it can help you.

tunahead72

Careful with that wiring diagram, guys...

Roanoker494, did the one you uploaded come from one of your 1985 manuals? If so (and I'm no expert), I'm guessing it's probably not the same as the diagram for a 1994 model.

I'll let someone more qualified than me address the "no start" problem.

And willc307, :WRS:

• Like 1

Roanoker494

Good point on that diagram I posted, the manual does not have a date but it is suppose to be the original manual for my 85 model tractor.

Roanoker494

Here are a few diagrams I found for 92-97 model 312-8

92-97312.jpg

364-c9a2fa8654.jpg

363-c673ab145f.jpg

Wheel-N-It

Clean all your connections, and make sure the engine is full of oil before you bypass the oil switch. I would seriously doubt it is bad anyway. Usually the switches that go bad are the seat switch, and the ignition switch.

SAM58

I had a simular problem wit my 314-8, does it start sometimes? or nothing but the clicks.

My 314-8 would click, and if I tried repeatedly it would eventually start. ( replaced soloniod fixed problem, I could cross it over and it acted like it was working like yours)

Found a universal soloniod at the auto parts store for $12.00, yours is 18 years old probally need replace anyway.

if it just clicks, remove the starter, clean starter, clean connections, try again, if no fix, THEN start looking at wiring problems.

If it is full of oil, Replace the soloniod, I think that will fix it.

• Like 1

leeave96

I had a simular problem wit my 314-8, does it start sometimes? or nothing but the clicks.

My 314-8 would click, and if I tried repeatedly it would eventually start. ( replaced soloniod fixed problem, I could cross it over and it acted like it was working like yours)

Found a universal soloniod at the auto parts store for $12.00, yours is 18 years old probally need replace anyway.

if it just clicks, remove the starter, clean starter, clean connections, try again, if no fix, THEN start looking at wiring problems.

+1

I had the same thing with my 314-8 this Spring. Replace the solenoid and it starts like a champ.

Good luck,

Bill

varosd

Any luck getting it started?

:wwp::WRS:

:D

can whlvr

does the starter turn over if you run a jumper direct from battery,if so then its the solinoid as alot of guys have said,this is an easy way to bypass it and see if the starter turns over,when my oil sensor was put in up side down after a rebuild(by me )absolutly nothing happened,so i doubt its the oil sensor,

William Chatham

I need to add that the seat switch has already been bypassed and the solonoied is good i tested not by arcing the starter and battery terminals i tested it by using a wire and toucing it to the battery terminal and touching it to the lead where the key switch goes in to solonoied and the solonoied engaged and it turned over. SORRY FOR BEING A PAIN :(

does the starter turn over if you run a jumper direct from battery,if so then its the solinoid as alot of guys have said,this is an easy way to bypass it and see if the starter turns over,when my oil sensor was put in up side down after a rebuild(by me )absolutly nothing happened,so i doubt its the oil sensor,

YES

William Chatham

As a temp fix i bypassed the key swith removing the key swith wire on the solonoied and hookig up a push button but its just temporary

boovuc

Hi Bill,

When you were trying to start it, did you take notice to the idiot lights on the console? I have seen these lights glow a little on attempted starts where nothing happened. Watching the lights as I tried to start it back to back times revealed it would crank only when I didn't see a faint glow from one of them. Turns out that the board was faulty on one of the tractors and I had a bad wire from the PTO switch that mimicked the PTO engagement.

It doesn't take much of a short or bad ground for the newer tractors to shutdown the starting sequence.

William Chatham

view pic here :)

tom hart

Does ably one know about a 1991 wheel horse 312-8 PCM board ? Can u buy them , repair them ?

tom hart

Does anly one know about a 1991 wheel horse 312-8 PC board ? Can u buy them , repair them ?

dsholler

Dunno if this helps

boovuc

Hi Tom,

Those boards are attainable used right here in the classifieds. Do a post on the classified section for a "working" board. I'm sure someone has one they will part with.

gwest_ca

Low oil relay

This circuit uses a relay that is normally closed. Low oil condition opens the relay which breaks the power to the starter solenoid from the ignition switch.

Some 1989 8-speed models used a substitute relay

Very important bulletin on servicing the low oil switch. It is easily broken.

Garry