Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Proper wiring of amp meter

bo dawg

I've been learning a lot lately on wiring up these tractors (never been my best subject). I went by a C series 1978-79 wiring diagram for my 82 SK486. It was a bit hacked up but for the most part was wired pretty much to the diagram I found.

My question is what is the best way to run the wire for the amp meter?

I have the battery cable running to the solenoid then from that same solenoid post a wire going to the amp gauge, then from there to the ign switch post ( B ) battery.

The B+ wire runs from the Rectifier to the ® post of ign switch.

I had replaced a car amp gauge that was installed by PO with a normal WH supplied gauge. The other didn't read anything.

But now the amp gauge needle reads but never runs in the positive side of gauge. If anything leans toward the negative side. Then when I turn lights on it really go's negative. I haven't checked with volt meter yet if it is charging correctly. Want to make sure I'm using correct wiring first.

I also found a C-series 1982-83 diagram that shows feed from the amp gauge to the B+ post of rectifier then from there to the ign switch post ( B ).

So which is the correct way to go?

Save Old Iron

Appears you have everything hooked up correctly as in the diagram below ( if the ammeter + wire is hooked to the battery post or to the solenoid post with the battery wire, it is still electrically the same connection).

(click on the image to enlarge)

7e350ff0.gif

Sounds like you have a charging issue. Check the voltage at the B+ terminal of the regulator with the tractor running at least 3/4 throttle. You should be able to measure in the range of 13.5 to 14.5 volts at the terminal. The ammeter will only swing positive when the voltage at the B+ terminal is higher than the battery voltage. The ammeter swinging negative when the headlights are turned on confirms you have the polarity of the ammeter wiring correct.