Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Reel mower in action on Suburban 550

Ken B

I found a little time today to try the reel mower out on my 550. It actually works pretty good. I think it would be real good with a new belt and a more level yard. Here is a quick video.

• Like 2

ol550

Reel mower?

bowtiebutler956

Love It!! :text-datsphatyo: That reel mower is sweet, and looks like it works very well. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

AMC RULES

Works reel good. :thumbs:

That grass was a flyin'...I see why those things were nut roasters now. :text-coolphotos:

312Hydro

I kept wanting to watch the grass fly out. Looks like it works great! I bet it looked like a golf course. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ken B

Works reel good. :thumbs:

That grass was a flyin'...I see why those things were nut roasters now. :text-coolphotos:

This tractor does have an exhaust heat shield, I took it off the other day when I removed the carb to clean it. I don't think they are such a nut roaster but the hot exhaust sure will cook your leg! The heat blowing off the head is REAL hot.

AMC RULES

Mostly I was thinking if the engine was mounted up front, it would look like a chia pet after operating with the reel mower for any length of time. :)

VinsRJ

Ken, that is just sweet! Makes me want to pull my reel out.

dclarke

Ken,I really like those reel mowers. :thumbs: Sure would like to have one.

squonk

Work's great! :thumbs: Wouldn't want to hit any "dog muffins" with it though. :ychain:

• Like 2

varosd

the reel mower set up looks great Ken, Town + Country rear tires? the tread pattern looks neat

stevebo

Looking sweet Ken !! Glad it works for you without having to mess with it.

Lars

Looks to work great... Very Nice set up

Ken B

the reel mower set up looks great Ken, Town + Country rear tires? the tread pattern looks neat

The tires are B.F. Goodrich Silvertown's. The tread is just like the old Firestone Town & Country's. They are in great shape, its nice to have a tire other than ags on one of my round hood's. Now I just have to find a nice set of diamond treads.

Work's great! :thumbs: Wouldn't want to hit any "dog muffins" with it though. :ychain:

I pick up the dog muffins daily and always right before I cut the grass. That stuff gets everywhere if ya don't!

AMC RULES

Imagine if they were :wh: muffins instead. :auto-swerve:

That reel would turn 'em into a fine mist. :scared-eek:

Ken B

I know how everyone like pics, here are a few. I added the shields on it today. This 550 has a decent running 6 hp Tecumseh on it. It seems like just enough power, I wonder how well these worked with just a 4 hp on it?

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

• Like 1

312Hydro

Looks great! With the shields on is it ok to hit the dog muffins?

neil

That is really cool Ken .

Does a real nice cut

mattd860

Looks good Ken! Glad you are working my old toy :)

I have to do a little work to the reel mower on my 753 because when the mower is dropped & cutting, I can't turn the tractor at all!! You are able to make nice sweeping turns with your setup but I have to raise the mower to make turns like that. I'm going to do some more research and start a new post about it someday.

Jake Kuhn

That reel mower looks great on there,looks like it leaves a nice cut too. Jake

Ken B

I got a little bored after work today so I decided to do some work on the 550. My plans were to paint the existing motor red until I find either a Kohler or an H55. I want all of the paint to match so I'm going to repaint the entire tractor.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

stevebo

Didn't take long.. :ychain:

AMC RULES

I want all of the paint to match so I'm going to repaint the entire tractor.

As an assembled unit, or do you plan to blow it apart? :dunno:

squonk

Speaking of dog muffins. I picked up a C-160 parts tractor last Friday. The guy who had it had 5 dogs and a hay lot for a yard. He was in the process of cutting it. He said I could drive on his yard and back up to the tractor with my trailer. As I was turning I had the drivers window down and was looking at my left wheel to make sure I had lots of room near a tree stump. Phew!!! :*****: I had run over a ripe one! :hide: :hide:

varosd

Speaking of dog muffins. I picked up a C-160 parts tractor last Friday. The guy who had it had 5 dogs and a hay lot for a yard. He was in the process of cutting it. He said I could drive on his yard and back up to the tractor with my trailer. As I was turning I had the drivers window down and was looking at my left wheel to make sure I had lots of room near a tree stump. Phew!!! *****.gif I had run over a ripe one! :hide: :hide:

Did you lose traction!?!