Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Horse Kid

What ya putting in your garden this year???

Wheel Horse Kid

I was just wondering what everybody is going to be putting in their gardens this year??? I am going to have raspberries, sweet corn, and potatoes.

IthacaJeff

Last year was our first year with our new large garden completely fenced in. We are doing

fewer items this year to those things we really know we will eat and can preserve. This

year we are planting more potatoes and more kinds of lettuce. Last year the high wind storms

knocked most of our corn and tomatoes. We'll still plant corn, but will stick to only Roma and

cherry/grape tomatoes. Less zuchinni and other squashes (still have some in the freezer),

including fewer pumpkins. But, the kids want to try a few super sized ones to make jack-o-lanterns.

Our broccoli last year was a failure, so we'll abandon it this year. We'll try carrots again, though

last year our crop was pretty wimpy.

The wife is allergic to a number of veggies, especially onions. So no scallions or onions.

Hoping the strawberries come in strong. Moving the blueberries into the fenced garden as the

deer at all of last year's crop.

Just finished tilling up the garden (55' x 90'). Did not attach the tiller this year; instead used a

4' x 6' spring tine drag harrow. The harrow is half of a larger harrow that I dismantled to make

it pullable behind a garden tractor. This harrow is REALLY old, but did a great job. The 310-8

had trouble pulling it with the spring tines set deep, so I did a first pass at a shallow dig to chop

up the weeds. I used my "new" Deutz Allis 1920 to pull it the next two times and the difference

was remarkable. Even without chains, the DA's additional 10 hp and about 300 lbs pulled the thing

like it wasn't there. And power steering! Talk about getting spoiled!

• Like 1

312Hydro

Going to try peppers,roma and cherry tomatoes. Zucchini,onions and beans. We like to can Salsa so I'm going to try these. Last couple of years I bought everything at the farmer's market or store to make it. I got discouraged when we had tomato blight a few years back. Time to try again.