Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

8-speed trans oil question

bo dawg

I want to change out the old oil in the trans so I looked for what the manual says to use which is sae 90-140 oil, service GL-5. But I can't find it no where, best I find is 85w-140 so I bought some figure it would be ok till I find the other. Opened it up to see it is a red colored oil, and what is in the trans now is dirty brown (like normal engine oil color). So...which is it suppose to be? It's been a long time since I had a manual trans tractor and I didn't have it long enough to remember what the oil was. :eusa-think:

rmaynard

Does it say GL-5 oil? The last gear oil I used was Super Tech 85W-140 GL-5 oil from Walmart and it was green. As long as it is a GL-5, I don't think the color matters.

bo dawg

Does it say GL-5 oil? The last gear oil I used was Super Tech 85W-140 GL-5 oil from Walmart and it was green. As long as it is a GL-5, I don't think the color matters.

Yes sir, it did say in the fine print on the lable that it was GL-5 service.

I wonder what is in the trans now? its brown at color.

pfrederi

If it is cloudy brown (Chocolate milk like) than you have some water in there. I didn't know that Gear Oil had gotten so colorfull

dennist

I was just looking at the same info this weekend for a guy, and the older B,C,D owner manual says:

3-Speed........................SAE 90...............................................3/4 qt.

8-speed........................SAE 140 API Service GL-5.....................2qt.

Now, in the newer 300 series manual says:

8-Speed........................SAE 90 gear lube(API service QL-5).......2qt.

Any thoughts?......I just used 90 wt?

bo dawg

If it is cloudy brown (Chocolate milk like) than you have some water in there. I didn't know that Gear Oil had gotten so colorfull

No, nothing like that, its regular oil looking, just little dirty.

bo dawg

I was just looking at the same info this weekend for a guy, and the older B,C,D owner manual says:

3-Speed........................SAE 90...............................................3/4 qt.

8-speed........................SAE 140 API Service GL-5.....................2qt.

Now, in the newer 300 series manual says:

8-Speed........................SAE 90 gear lube(API service QL-5).......2qt.

Any thoughts?......I just used 90 wt?

I looked in the manuals on the Toro site for my specific tractor and it said SAE 90-140 GL-5.

I bought a better brand of gear oil at the implement place we have that is a Toro distribitor, although they sell Grass Hopper mowing units $4.08 a qt. They don't have the SAE 90-140 either, but SAE 85w 140 they do have and its the brownish oil color, so I went with that. I'll just put the red colored 85w-140 in the cabinet for something else. wasted $5.

bo dawg

Changed the gear oil tonight, and It did have some water in it, "chocolate mike came out". It didn't look like that on the dip stick but what poured out the bottom sure did. I put the new shifter boot on also, (not that it matters now, it will never sit outside to get wet).

rmaynard

Since water is heavier than oil, it goes to the bottom until the tractor is driven. That mixes is up and that is a good time to check the dipstick. Otherwise, if it has been sitting, the water separates, goes to the bottom, and the nice brown oil rises to the top where the dipstick lives.

• Like 1

DavidD

Being Red sounds like Mytic JT oil. I run that in two of mine GL5 90 wt. Some of the best oil made. They also made a blue color that was marine grade. that stuff was really good, too.

bo dawg

Being Red sounds like Mytic JT oil. I run that in two of mine GL5 90 wt. Some of the best oil made. They also made a blue color that was marine grade. that stuff was really good, too.

Yes, Mytic is correct, I wasn't sure if I should use it or not so I got some brown color oil instead. I will probably change again soon after I run it a few times to get all cleaned out. I may go ahead and use the red Mytic.

bountyhunter

I have found a link for the information you need. I has the Year Model and what kind of oil/lube to use. I found that most of them use the same 90-140 / GL-5. As long as it's GL-5

it will be o.k. I just bought some at Tractor Supply for mine. Here's the link; http://www.wolverine-synthetics.com/pages/...lubrication.pdf

A lot of years and models on it.

Sam

rmaynard

That lubrication/belt chart is also in our files section: