Sign in to follow this  
redmosquito1

New Here, Bought my 1st tractor

redmosquito1

Hey everybody, new here and I just bought my first wheel horse. My dad has had them while I was growing up and since I needed a lawn mower for my new house I started the search.

I found what I thought was a 70s C120 but after looking at it further I'm thinking it is either a B-100 or C-100. There is a C-120 sticker on the side but it has the 10 horse Kohler engine with the 8 speed transmission. I can't find any identifying marks on the outside of the tractor and am hoping you guys can point me in the direction to figure out exactly what model this tractor is.

I am needing atleast a mower deck and want to get a blade for it but want to make sure I get the right deck before driving all over to get it etc.

I appreciate the help, and please take it easy on me, I'm sure this could be answered by search but I'm stil figuring that one out

Thanks

gwgdog66

:WRS: If it is a 70's model there should be a data plate on the driver side just above the lift lever dial-a-height area.

DSC00418.jpg

redmosquito1

Well, there is 2 holes where that would mount but the plate is not there.

Any other thoughts?

Were there any major differences between the B and Cs? like transmissions or tire size?

Sparky

More than likely it started life as a C-120 8speed but had the motor replaced with a 10hp.

:WRS:

Mike...............

redmosquito1

Well, the decal looks almost new, or very unweathered. The serial number on the engine indicates it is a 1976, if that is the case then it would be a B100. I'm content either way as long as I can get a nice deck for it.

The rear tire is 21" and the rime is 16" if that helps

tgranthamfd

:WRS: I am not sure of the differences in the B and C series tractors, but I think the wheel and tire sizes would be the same. I wouldn't know what to look for if the data plate is missing. Others will be on to let you know what differences there are. Hang in there a little longer, they will get you the answer.

AMC RULES

:WRS: A picture would help to figure it out.

redmosquito1

467f976f.jpg

Hope that works. I can get more but I'm at work.

whfan74

I would guess that it was probably a C-120 to start like others have said. Nice looking machine you have by the way.

Welcome to RedSquare....you definitely found the right place to be.

Oh by the way.....I grew up in Waterford. Clarkston is a beautiful area. Enjoy the new tractor.....who knows that tractor may have been sold new from my dad. If it has any dealer tags on it, let me know.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Sounds like your getting the help you need.

There is a guy in Auburn Hills, Perry is his name and he's on this site. He often has tractors and parts. Also Joes Power on ebay. He's up in the Lapear area.

If your looking for something specific like the deck, advertise it in the classified section.

Good luck and enjoy your Wheel Horse.

Dave

rmaynard

My guess is that you have a hybrid, put together from several different tractors, with a C-120 decal on the side, a K241 (10HP) engine, and smaller rear tires. Some B-100's had 22 x 7.50 x 12 tires. Others had the 23 x 8.50 x 12's. The accessory tab on the ignition switch was left empty on B-100's since it did not come with headlights, and there was a plug to fill the hole in the dash where the light switch would have been. The C-series had lights and a light switch. If the hood is original, a '76 or '77 would not have a hood ornament, or holes to accommodate it. 1974 and '75 had the ornament. B-series had reflectors on the back and an escutcheon plate on the front to cover the hole where the lights go. 1974 and 75 B-100's were automatics, C-100's were only '74 and '75's and only available as 8-speeds.

So, more detailed pictures would help if available.

Wheel Crazy

Check for a plate underneath the dash, might help figure out exactly what it is!

:WRS: Welcome to the forum!! I see you live in Michigan, I do too!!!

There is another Michigan member who sells Wheel Horse tractors and their parts, his name is Kelly and his username is Kelly, I believe he lives in Olivet Michigan, which is somewhere in the middle of the state. I am sure Kelly has a mower deck and plow for that tractor.

redmosquito1

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming. Rmaynard, I will get some more detailed pictures when I get home and post them up. I found 2 light sockets tied up under the hood and a switch on the dash. Who knows if they are original or not though, I don't think there are any holes in the hood though, but I'll have to look.

I'll contact those guys and see if they have a deck for me.

Raider10

:WRS: :UK: Welcome from across the pond. Its a great place to be for any wheel horse nut. Enjoy.

:woohoo: Ian

Edited by Raider10

SMITTY

Welcome to Red Square if you need they have it or will tell you were to get it. I live In Waterford. Any parts you need new Wiengartzt. can order for you.

Smitty

speedyleedy

WH Raider10

:text-happynewyear: ooops...I mean :WRS::woohoo: the best forum in the world!

Regards from Belgium,

P-J

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: That looks like a very solid machine you have there. My Horse is not original either, its a B-80 with a Kohler K-301 12 hp engine. Good luck finding finding a deck, I'm sure you will locate one now that you are a member here. :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

redmosquito1

Sorry no pics yet, got busy cleaning up the seat pan of nasty welds from the previous owner welding the springs all the way on the back. But my dad who is a horse fan too looked at it tonight an he thinks it's an early C series with a replacement motor too since it has all the bracketry that his old C120 had.

Their is a light switch and light plugs under the hood, no holes for a hood ornament on top. I think the rear fenders are replacements cause theyre in to good of shape and the paint is quite thin. Who knows, runs good and looks good so I'm good. Just need that deck.

Zeek

You have been lured :teasing-whipyellow:

Explain now to your wife that will be spending a lot of time in the garage :tools-hammerdrill: a lot of time talking to guys on the internet :techie-ebay: and buying things for a "lawn mower".

Don't expect her to understand, but know that you can :crying-yellow: about it here.

Seriously, she will get used to it . . . eventually :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Jake Kuhn

varosd

you could put the small 36 rear or side discharge or the 42 inch rear or side discharge. the 48 might be a bit heavy and you would need the 12 /14/16 + HP to run it.

redmosquito1

Here are some pics guys, luckily no wife yet so I can spend and spend. So far I've been doing so small things like removing the terrible welds on the seat pan and springs and I'm pretty sure the springs are upside down with frozen bolts. I got it to mount to a setback that I like and marked and drilled some holes to bolt it to. Sprayed the pan with some IH red and mounted it all up, looks good. Found the tach-a-matic underneath it and that looks nice so as soon as I find a deck my grass will look nice.

No holes in the hood for lights or the hood ornament and I think the rear holes are covered by the decal. There are plugs under the hood that look like lights but I have yet to fluke them and see if theyre energized or not though. The ignition switch has been replaced though so there may have been a position for the lights before.

Here's the pics -

e409edd1.jpg

f0090fde.jpg

29c3bf78.jpg

cd25a94b.jpg

d3bcebe8.jpg

87520f87.jpg

• Like 1

dwayneGT

:WRS: you'll find alot of help here, these guys are Great! Nice machine BTW. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

SAM58

Hello, and Welcome To Red Square!! :)

:happy-jumpeveryone: