Sign in to follow this  
Pollack Pete

310-8 Rear Wheel Bearing

Pollack Pete

OK,I picked up a 1990 310-8 this week-end.I knew one rear axle seal was leaking pretty bad.Ordered 2 new seals from Partstree last night.I decided to take the old seal out and prep things for when the new seal arrives.Grabbed hold of the axle and it moves around quite a bit.I know you can put the axle seals in without pulling the tranny apart.How about the needle bearings??? Big job,or does someone here have a trick up their sleeve? Thanks for any and all help.

WH854

OK,I picked up a 1990 310-8 this week-end.I knew one rear axle seal was leaking pretty bad.Ordered 2 new seals from Partstree last night.I decided to take the old seal out and prep things for when the new seal arrives.Grabbed hold of the axle and it moves around quite a bit.I know you can put the axle seals in without pulling the tranny apart.How about the needle bearings??? Big job,or does someone here have a trick up their sleeve? Thanks for any and all help.

From my experance with the axle bearings you will have to split the case :thumbs::hide:

Chas

pfrederi

In and out movement on the axle is OK (up to 1/8" or so). Any up-down or front to rear is not OK and you need to split the case and replace the needle bearings

Duff

I'm afraid Chas is right - you'll have to split it, but it's not as daunting a job as it sounds. Good chance to check everything else out inside the case at the same time, fix anything that's out of whack, and probably put it back together for another 20+ years!

Duff :thumbs:

can whlvr

I'm afraid Chas is right - you'll have to split it, but it's not as daunting a job as it sounds. Good chance to check everything else out inside the case at the same time, fix anything that's out of whack, and probably put it back together for another 20+ years!

Duff :thumbs:

ya that

kpinnc

I have heard of some people just driving the axle bearing further into the case and putting a new one in it's place. I have never done it, but I suppose if the old bearing is still intact but just worn it shouldn't cause any problems. So long as doing it doesn't introduce loose parts into the case, it would work. Just don't destroy it in the process. I'm not a proponent of doing this, but it may be an option if you don't want to open the case up.

Opening the case is as has been said, not too difficult. But if you are gonna replace the axle bearings, it may be worth it to replace them all. Obviously I would omit the diff carrier bearings, because they are stupid expensive from Toro, and no known replacement exists. I've never opened one that didn't have a few bearings in need of replacement, and doing so extends the life of the gears I assure you.

jabadamutt

How did it turn out Pete? I have the same thing you had going on, bought the seals and found some up/down/side to side play... Did you separate the cases? How many hr job is the entire job for needle bearings?