Sign in to follow this  
jay in nc

awaking a nos hh 120 tecky

jay in nc

my brother in law bought this new hh120 around 20 years ago & i got it 10 years ago. tonight i decided to get it ready to go on a 1066 im picking up sat. ok here is what ive done , i put a qt of oil in it & rotated it.to get oil all in the nooks & crannies. i pulled the plug & part of a thread came out, put a capfull of oil in the hole & slowly turned it over, i sprayed seafoam on the throtle & choke linkages , got them freed up nicely, this engine is a solid state ign. & it never had gas or oil in it, the tank is pretty clean , very little surface rust & the petcock is free. i plan on taking the shroud off to look for any insect or mouse damage. is there any thing else i need to do before initial start up? i also might be looking for a tecky starter gen set up. thank you jay

TT

i decided to get it ready to go on a 1066 im picking up sat.

Where I come from, a 1066 is an International farm tractor. 12hp probably isn't enough. :ychain:

Sounds like you have the pre-fire checklist pretty well covered though. Make sure you retorque the head bolts after you run it for a while.

jay in nc

terry, i went ahead and pulled the head. i am going to helicoil the plug hole, the tractor its going on is supposed to be pretty nice & i dont want to hear a bang,then see a dent apear in the hood from the inside out. i can also reuse the head gasket by doing this before test starting the engine. what are the torque specs for the head bolts? as for cornbinder 1066 s they are great tractors but 106 hp is a little too much for my 13 acres, but the 67 of my 674 international tobacco special is just about right ! thanks jay

wheelhorse656

The proper torque is 180 to 200 inch pounds. make sure they are all toruqed the same. If you torque the first one at 190 inch pounds torque the rest at 190 inch pounds. I have seen alot of good heads be warped because some body at some point torqued the head bolts wrong or never checked them after running the engine for a while.....

jay in nc

thank you for the quick reply ,will do jay

jpmcleod

If you are in need of aTecky HH120 starter/generator set-up I have the mounting bracket and the starter/generator. I also have a parts engine for a points/coil system for a horozonal shaft Tecky. Just picked up another horozonal Solid state Tecky yesterday. Don't know yet what I am going to do with it. I am at jerry.pugh5170@yahoo.com.

jay in nc

just a quick update on this engine, i had a rare sat. off today so i got the 1077 out of the shop,put gas in it and belted it to the 518 with a twisted belt. after several tries it finaly started & kept running. so i hooked up the throtle cable, shut the tow valve & went for a ride! the tecky runs very well, & the tractor does everything it should, the hydrogear is strong! so now i need to hook up the starter- generator, wire everything &fab up a s-g belt guard. put in new throtle & choke cables. one more horse in the herd runs! i did drive 7 of them today Jay

Wheel-N-It

Hey, I knew you were up to something today! Now I know what it was. Sounds like you had a very productive Saturday. BTW thank you for the muffler bling you made for my 312. It looks great! I will post some pics of it as soon as I get caught up on the SIL's 312-8. Should have his tractor finished tomorrow afternoon, and will start on the 42" SD deck sometime this week.

Have a great day tomorrow Jay!