Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

Standard Tractor

bowtiebutler956

Hey guys, I have an interesting garden tractor for you to look at today. I have owned this tractor for more than 30 years now, it was my very first tractor. My dad gave this to me as a young boy, and it was an antique then. I rode it every chance I got as a kid, when he first gave it to me me it was an old rope start, well after I tore my knuckles up several times trying to start it, he added a start/generator to it. Its in bad shape now as I have been toting it around with me for a very long time, and I would like to fix it up for my youngest son. My question is have any of you ever heard of the brand Standard? I have seen other tractors on youtube that are very similar, but they are called Bantam, I assume they must be somehow related but I am not sure. The tag on it reads Standard Manufacturing & Sales and the front grill says Standard. I was hoping some of you garden tractor gurus could tell me something about this tractor. Also tell me what you think of it. My youngest son Danny, loves this tractor as he is still to small to ride the Wheel Horse on his own. I think I need to fix this up for him the way my dad did for me over 30 years ago.

Matt

post-6076-0-22812700-1331496073.jpg

post-6076-0-07143100-1331496097.jpg

post-6076-0-99053900-1331496136.jpg

post-6076-0-20615100-1331496152.jpg

post-6076-0-47471900-1331496184.jpg

post-6076-0-07087300-1331496215.jpg

post-6076-0-80556000-1331496243.jpg

Rollerman

It does resemble a Bantam or the Sears Handyman?

I really don't know a lot about either, there are some Bantam owners here on RS...maybe they'll chime in?

Looks like a really neat project, please keep the updates coming.

AMC RULES

:thumbs: Really neat tractor, hope you document it's resto here. :popcorn:

Jake Kuhn

Wow that is neat. It does look very much like a bantam. Jake

Sparky

Interesting project! Is a three wheeler?

Mike..........

bowtiebutler956

Yes sir, it is a three wheeler Sparky. All its wheels are completely rusted out, so really its a 0 wheeler right now. :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

Steve B.

That'll be a sharp little tractor once done. Are you planning to do it up in WH colours?

bowtiebutler956

No Steve, I'll probably try to go back original if I can find out what original is. I wouldn't want it to look like a wanna be Wheel Horse. :ychain:

Sparky

Well dont drop it off at Ricks Restorations in Vegas. He did one last year for something over $1000 for a guy!! And that was without rebuilding the engine!!

Mike...............

bowtiebutler956

No chance! I will do everything myself for better or worse. Probably worse. :ychain:

grnlark

Hey Matt,

The Standard was an early Bantam. That looks like a model 3000 or 4000. They are cool machines. This is my 8000 that I'm currently restoring. The motor you have pictured is not original. It would have had a Briggs 9FB (3hp). Do you have more parts? Looks like you're missing some tough-to-find stuff - specifically the entire clutch assembly and rear hubs. I'll see if I can find an original manual for the 3000. I might have it online. PM me your direct email address. If you should decide to part ways with it, I would appreciate being first in line. :handgestures-thumbup:

post-2562-0-49246600-1331551627_thumb.jp

post-2562-0-22961900-1331551637_thumb.jp

• Like 1

grnlark

Hey Matt, I do have the 17 page manual for it online as well as the Briggs engine manual for the 9FB and sales brochure. All are in PDF format. Give me your email address.

oh yeah, and original colors would have been orange with silver wheels and black motor and seat.

post-2562-0-15153800-1331552347_thumb.jp

bowtiebutler956

The engine in the picture is a 9FB, my dad put the 9hp sticker on it for me as a kid, to make me feel like it had more power, he also added the starter/generator kit to it so I would be able to operate it easier, but the aluminum plate on the motor is still stamped 9fb. I do still have the clutch assembly, however I think I am missing a pulley that is suppose to be on the input shaft of the transaxle. Any help with what the correct size for this pulley is would be greatly appreciated. I will post more pics if the clutch and engine later. :thanks:

Ken B

Well dont drop it off at Ricks Restorations in Vegas. He did one last year for something over $1000 for a guy!! And that was without rebuilding the engine!!

Mike...............

I thought that restore by Rick was over 4 grand?

grnlark

Mike...............

I thought that restore by Rick was over 4 grand?

Yeah, it was something crazy like $4500. I still have it saved on my DVR.

AMC RULES

Yeah, try again...watch for it here at the 07:15 mark...notice the smile on his face as he quotes the price. :scared-eek:

http://www.history.c...tors-and-trucks

bowtiebutler956

$6000-6500 :scared-eek: That guy got robbed!! Thanks Craig for posting that video, it was great to see a little tractor like mine get restored. :thanks: I wonder if Rick gave that poor guy a bottle of KY with that bill. :ROTF:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Well I took a few more pics of the tractor along with a few from when I was a kid. In reply to grnlark, I am missing the wheel hubs, they disintegrated with rust, so it will get aftermarket wheel as I don't have many options. I did take a few pics of the clutch component. In the old pics I am the rotten looking kid in the blue shirt, and the other kids are my sisters and they're friends. In one picture my dad is on the seat, in the other is my mom. She would be mad if she knew I was posting this pic, as you can see she is warning the person with the camera not to take her picture. :ROTF: Good Memories.

Oh buy the way the numbers on the engine are 9FB 201537 91360 and the numbers on the tractor's plate are T 952378 Say grnlark do you know how to tell what year it is?

post-6076-0-39607200-1331589931.jpg

post-6076-0-64947100-1331589952.jpg

post-6076-0-64674900-1331589977.jpg

post-6076-0-38642600-1331590001.jpg

post-6076-0-47029500-1331590023.jpg

post-6076-0-11687600-1331590060.jpg

post-6076-0-50616900-1331590100.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:

CasualObserver

Matt, those pictures are awesome! If you want to know anything about Standard / Bantam tractors, your best bet is to get ahold of Daryel through this website. http://panzerbantam.homestead.com/index.html He's the guy that makes repro parts and stuff for Bantams. There's also a yahoo group, but the activity is very minimal. Has a lot of good info if you just read all the posts from the beginning. There's only about 1400 and you can skip a lot. I read it all when I got my Bantam. Answered many questions without me even needing to ask. I know there's at least three of us here (four now with you) that have Bantams. There are a few posts here about them if you want to search for them.

I'm thinking that they only cast the "Standard" name in the grille on the first year or two, but it's been a long time since I researched it.

Good luck on your restore. Please post the progress here. I'd love to follow along.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Casual Observer! That link is awesome :scared-eek: I cant believe that someone is reproducing parts for my Bantam, thats awesome!!!

I'm so excited I could just pee myself. :ychain: Seriously that is great news, I'm very surprised at how much help I am receiving with this little Bantam here at the Red Square Wheel Horse Forum. You guys are the best! :thanks:

grnlark

Matt and Jason - sent you guys the files as requested!

Matt, looks like you have most of everything that you need for the clutch. And as noted above, Daryl Shaffer repros a lot of stuff for this machine including (much to my suprise) .....the ENTIRE clutch assembly for your model - you lucky dog! He's a good guy. In fact he just bought my '48 Beaver tractor and it'll be going to Missouri in May.

Its also great that you have the 9FB. When I looked at the pics quick before, I just saw the decal and looked no further - very amateur on my part :) One thing I learned with these motors as I've been working on my 23FB is that the FB stands for Flanged base, Ball bearing motor - kinda cool trivia.

And lastly, the pictures are just awesome and priceless. Seeing those is reason enough to put everything else aside and restore it right. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. I've been doing lots of homework, research and info gathering for over a year now on these to ensure that my resto is 100% correct. I'm always willing to share.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Thank you so much Matt. Great name by the way. :ychain: The info you just sent me is priceless, I probably would have never found all that on my own. I didn't even know it was a Bantam until yesterday, because all it said on it was standard, thanks to you and CasualObserver I am already much further down the road on this resto in just knowledge alone. :thanks: I almost feel like I'm cheating. All your help is much appreciated. :thumbs:

Oh by the way, so long as you guys are helping, how do I figure out what year model it is? The no. on the tractor is T 952378.

grnlark

Oh by the way, so long as you guys are helping, how do I figure out what year model it is? The no. on the tractor is T 952378.

Thanks for reminding me - that was the other thing I was going to mention - email the numbers to Daryl and he (or his wife Anne believe it or not) will email you right back and tell you. The other thing - Daryl and Anne started a Bantam Tractors group on Facebook. It's a bit more active than the Yahoo group and another good place to make contacts!

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Once Again :thanks: