Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Anyone Used/Owned a Toro Wheelhorse 5xi Tractor

leeave96

I remember there at the end of the Wheelhorse days, Toro came out with the 5xi tractor. Anyone owned one of these or used one they could give a bit of a review, likes, dislikes, etc.

Thanks!

Bill

Jim_M

I have a 520xi, best mowing wheel horse ever built. Quiet, smooth and powerful. The tight turning radius and foot control hydro and cruise control make them perfect for mowing. I had one for a short time 7 or 8 years ago and sold it, after a a couple of years I started looking for another one. I won't sell this one until it's too worn out to mow.

The down side to them is the availability of attachments, there's just not as much out there for sale as there is for the classic style tractors.

Forest Road

I passed on one with a deck, single stage blower and snow cab last year. I'm still kicking myself! I'm 6'8" tall and I fit so well on her. The next time I'm in need of a dedicated mower it's mine! I'll gladly hold onto my 300s and all my accessories for the ground work.

smoreau

Shallowwatersailer and brrly1 both own one that I built 2" hitches for and they both love there's!

Kelly

I just found one today I'm going to try to buy.

dkear

I have a 522xi that i absolutely love. I bought it used last summer. Came with a 2stage snowblower,rototiller,a plow ,and 48" mowing deck. Its a great machine.

Philnc

Got a 523 DXI and can't say a bad thing about it. Smooth strong mower. Just love it!

gwgdog66

We had a New Holland (Toro 5XI) where I worked back in the late 90's. It was the top of the line New Holland with power lift, cruise and the largest deck available. That thing mowed 5 acres for years. If I had a chance to get one I probably would.

boovuc

I passed on an Xi with an FEL, 2 stage blower and large mower about 6 months ago from a guy less than a half mile from me. The price was great as in he could get thousands of dollars for that machine and the attachments. My problem was spending thousands of dollars on a machine that does what my 520, C-175, 310-8, 416-8 and 867 do. (With the exception of an FEL).

I don't know if I could have sold all my horses to pay for what the Xi eventually sold for.

It's hard to puch the button on an Xi when none of your attachments to the classic WheelHorses fit it.

wh500special

I've championed the 5xi series for years. In my opinion NOTHING comes close to a 5xi for easy-to-use functionality. Do a search for "5xi" in this forum and you can find a lot of great things abouth them...from me and from others.

Virtues:

Power

Strength

Maneuverability

Comfort

Quiet

Deficiencies:

Used implement availability

Given the prospect of having just one tractor ( from Wheelhorse) it would be a 5xi. I currently have a 520Lxi (liquid cooled gas kawasaki) and a 523Dxi (liquid cooled diesel) and love them both despite the diesel currently having some problems.

steve

eibbed

I have owned a 1998 520XI for 9 years now and I love it. It has a 52" deck and just this year I purchased a 48" snow blade for it.

It is very comfortable and handles nice.

Dave

wag220

I have owned a 523dxi for about 15 years now and I can tell you it's the best mower I have ever had. It's the Cadillac of mowers as far as I'm concerned. Other than a couple of belts over the years and a few sets of blades I have never replaced anything else. The case mower I had before that went thru steering rod ends and clutches like they were going out of style. I cut 2.5 acres and it's gotta be the best I've ever owned.  I'm about 850 hrs on the motor now.

RMCIII

5xi owner. Prior to this, I had extensive knowledge of Simplicity Sunstar garden tractor. Both have, or run, the same Kohler style engine. So that is a tie. Both have many attachments available. Both can make a lawn look like a million bucks. Both are extremely heavy duty, in both weight, and overall reliability. The only 2 items that separate them.

• Simplicity still has a locking diff. 5xi does not
  • Simplicity also has PTO driven attachments where 5xi are all belt driven. > This could be argued that belts are better causing less wear on the tractor because the belt enables a certain amount of slippage, while the PTO does not.

Have no arguments with any of the comments already stated. Really a great garden tractor.